Post Thanks / Like

sealant vs coating and how to remove

I`m just starting to get into paint protection and detailing cause I bought a new black vehicle. I have been doing a lot of reading. I have never even used a clay bar yet.I am still confused about these two above though. What exactly is a coating? Is it as durable as a clear coat or better? I can`t seem to find anything on how to remove it cause if I do a search on Google for paint coating removal well you know what can come up. There is a lot of praise for klasse sealant on auto geek and forums. It seems to have a long lasting protection from what i have read. Should I stick to a sealant being a newbie? Thing is if I experiment I will be doing it on my old motorcycles tank. Im assuming paint is paint whether it`s a bike or a car right? Thanks. I`m looking for some upcoming winter (NY) protection with a touch of shine

Post Thanks / Like

Re: sealant vs coating and how to remove

A coating is a hand applied product that is much thicker and much more durable than a traditional wax or paint sealant. A wax or sealant might last anywhere from 1 month to 1 year where as a coating can last multiple years. A coating can add additional protection against scratching and marring that a wax or sealant cannot.

Coatings for the most part are much more expensive than a wax or sealant and require more expertise to apply properly. A coating can be removed by polishing it off. If you are a beginner I would recommend that you start off with a good sealant or wax. If you are looking for a good winter protection package for your vehicle that won`t break the bank I would suggest the following:

Apply Duragloss 105 sealant and let cure for 12-24 hours then apply a coat of Collinite 845 over the sealant. This is a bulletproof combo that looks great and that has been proven to withstand some of the harshest winter months.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, I have read a lot of good things about the 845! I have already put on nufinish (yeah, I know newbie mistake). What should I do to prep/remove the nufinish and get it ready for the sealing?

Post Thanks / Like

Duragloss makes a bonding agent (#601) that will remove any old waxes or sealants and will increase the bonding of their 105 sealant. You apply a thin coat of the 601 and allow it to haze. Do not remove the 601- just apply the 105 directly over the 601 and let it haze. Remove both products together with a microfiber towel.

You now have a very durable bonded sealant that you can apply your 845 over. Just remember to let the 105 cure about 12 hours before you add a coat of the 845.

Post Thanks / Like

What I do as a waxing ritual once a year to my cars, usually in the spring. I`ve been happy with it for quite a number of years:

1) Cleaner/Polish - I use Klasse All-In-One
    2) Sealant - I use Klasse High Gloss but there are others that are good choices. Wait at least 12 hrs for the sealant to cure.
    3) Top off with a pure high quality carnauba wax - I`ve used a number of them... Collinite, Griots, Pinnacle, P21S. Collinite seems to be the most durable but I get a great gloss from P21S.
    4) I add a coat of carnauba about every 3 months between the annual ritual.

I`ve only tried claying once - Too damned much work for me!

Post Thanks / Like

CC rider, welcome to the wonderful world of Autopia. Your car and wallet will never be the same!

First off, skip the clay bar and head straight for the nanoskin speedy prep sponge or the wash mitt

While you are at it, get a bottle of Carpro`s IronX spray because even new cars have fallout and other contaminants that you just cant remove via mechanical means (claying/prep sponge) and if youre going to do it, do it right.

I LOVE Klasse All In One. It goes SUCH a long way and has taken everything Ive thrown at it. Also works over trim and glass without staining.

The weather hasnt cooperated with me enough to use a sealant, but I suggest a sealant that sprays rather than a liquid. From my research, there is much less of a learning curve with distribution and removal. Check out Wolfgang`s Deep Gloss Spray Sealant

I also am a HUGE fan of 845. It literally spreads like softened butter and takes almost no effort to remove.

I also highly recommend a product like Optimum No Rinse (ONR). I wish I bought it months ago;Seriously its so versatile it pays for itself.

Cheers!
    Slate Metallic 2015 Toyota Corolla LE, 1.8L CVT

Bright White 2014 Dodge GCV, 30th Anniversary Edition, Blacktop Package. 3.6L 6A

Thread Information