Post Thanks / Like

cquartz UK expert advice wanted

So I got my bottle of cquartz UK in the mail today that I won in the giveaway and am anxious to get it on my car before winter. Having never used it before and have minimal if any experience with coatings... what are the things I should expect when applying? Directions only get you so far, so I`m asking for real world experience on your tips for applying it properly. I understand prep is most important and I have that covered (yes I purchased eraser) so I`m just looking for the advice from the experienced when it comes time to actually apply the product. Things like how long before wipe off, how many of the micro suede towelswill I need, what to do if it streaks etc.

It did come with a number of the small micro suede towels which I`m guessing are for application (the little block came too), and one of the big ones which I assume are for wipe off. Will that be enough or will I want to have more on hand?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: cquartz UK expert advice wanted

I`ve coated this summer alone over 100 cars with cquartz...The main things you need to zero in is polishing the paint to perfection and with a PC that would be a challenge. ..guess it all depends on what ever you consider perfection or you level of skills ...
    either it be a one step two or three step
    Do a IPA wipedown....apply 3 to 4 drops ..work in a 2x2 sections...If you do goof up. ..just re polish that area....There are some pretty good you tube videos that may help....for a first time it can be tricky...Also be aware of the humidity and temperature. ....

QUOTE=ShaneB;523322]So I got my bottle of cquartz UK in the mail today that I won in the giveaway and am anxious to get it on my car before winter. Having never used it before and have minimal if any experience with coatings... what are the things I should expect when applying? Directions only get you so far, so I`m asking for real world experience on your tips for applying it properly. I understand prep is most important and I have that covered (yes I purchased eraser) so I`m just looking for the advice from the experienced when it comes time to actually apply the product. Things like how long before wipe off, how many of the micro suede towelswill I need, what to do if it streaks etc.

It did come with a number of the small micro suede towels which I`m guessing are for application (the little block came too), and one of the big ones which I assume are for wipe off. Will that be enough or will I want to have more on hand?[/QUOTE]

Post Thanks / Like

IMG_7577326474881.jpeg[

Camaro I coated last week

QUOTE=wendell jarvis;523328]I`ve coated this summer alone over 100 cars with cquartz...The main things you need to zero in is polishing the paint to perfection and with a PC that would be a challenge. ..guess it all depends on what ever you consider perfection or you level of skills ...
    either it be a one step two or three step
    Do a IPA wipedown....apply 3 to 4 drops ..work in a 2x2 sections...If you do goof up. ..just re polish that area....There are some pretty good you tube videos that may help....for a first time it can be tricky...Also be aware of the humidity and temperature. ....

QUOTE=ShaneB;523322]So I got my bottle of cquartz UK in the mail today that I won in the giveaway and am anxious to get it on my car before winter. Having never used it before and have minimal if any experience with coatings... what are the things I should expect when applying? Directions only get you so far, so I`m asking for real world experience on your tips for applying it properly. I understand prep is most important and I have that covered (yes I purchased eraser) so I`m just looking for the advice from the experienced when it comes time to actually apply the product. Things like how long before wipe off, how many of the micro suede towelswill I need, what to do if it streaks etc.

It did come with a number of the small micro suede towels which I`m guessing are for application (the little block came too), and one of the big ones which I assume are for wipe off. Will that be enough or will I want to have more on hand?[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

Post Thanks / Like

As far as the paints condition, I`m not too worried. I bought the car new and made sure the dealer didn`t touch it, prepped it myself with a light polish and inspected it out in the sun. Always washed it properly as well. So my PC should be more than sufficient for anything I may find I hope. I keep eyeing that flex 3401 but the wallet keeps saying no. So it`s going on the Christmas list.

temps are dropping here in Michigan lately (below average) with highs in the 60s now. Humidity shouldn`t be an issue either. Thanks for the tip on drops and 2x2 sections. Those little things you learn from experience are what I`m looking for right now

Post Thanks / Like

Btw, I have gotten impressive correction with a one step with my PC before.

This was a GMC Yukon that was in terrible shape. White ccs pad and pro polish 2 did wonders.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ShaneB View Post
    What are the things I should expect when applying? Directions only get you so far, so I`m asking for real world experience on your tips for applying it properly. I understand prep is most important and I have that covered (yes I purchased eraser) so I`m just looking for the advice from the experienced when it comes time to actually apply the product. Things like how long before wipe off, how many of the micro suede towelswill I need, what to do if it streaks etc.

It did come with a number of the small micro suede towels which I`m guessing are for application (the little block came too), and one of the big ones which I assume are for wipe off. Will that be enough or will I want to have more on hand?

I understand your concern and I was the same way the first time I did one. But it is much easier than many make it out to be.

• Eraser is the best prep for CQ products IMO and I usually do 2 wipe downs to make sure everything is clean & clear.
    • I apply an "X" of drops onto the MF suede pad to get the pad primed and ready to go.
    • The application area size depends on conditions but a 2x2 area is a good starting point. If it is cooler with low humidity I have done 1/2 a hood at 1 time. I always apply in straight lines using a cross hatch pattern working it in a little more than just 1 quick swipe.
    • I have always been able to apply CQ / CQUK to the entire car using the smaller supplied MF`s. But I have found I need 4 +/- of the larger ones per application. So if you plan on doing 2 coats you will need more.
    • When you are buffing off the residue if you get "smearing" you need to flip the towel to a clean side.
    • I always wait more than 1hr to apply Reload. I usually wait overnight if possible. But Reload is a must IMO especially for protecting CQUK during its 1 week cure.
    • Hold off on washing it for at least 7 days if possible.

___

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TroyScherer View Post
    I understand your concern and I was the same way the first time I did one. But it is much easier than many make it out to be.

• Eraser is the best prep for CQ products IMO and I usually do 2 wipe downs to make sure everything is clean & clear.

• I apply an "X" of drops onto the MF suede pad to get the pad primed and ready to go.
    • The application area size depends on conditions but a 2x2 area is a good starting point. If it is cooler with low humidity I have done 1/2 a hood at 1 time. I always apply in straight lines using a cross hatch pattern working it in a little more than just 1 quick swipe.
    • I have always been able to apply CQ / CQUK to the entire car using the smaller supplied MF`s. But I have found I need 4 +/- of the larger ones per application. So if you plan on doing 2 coats you will need more.
    • When you are buffing off the residue if you get "smearing" you need to flip the towel to a clean side.
    • I always wait more than 1hr to apply Reload. I usually wait overnight if possible. But Reload is a must IMO especially for protecting CQUK during its 1 week cure.
    • Hold off on washing it for at least 7 days if possible.

___

Here is a good video of CQUK application from Corey:

This is all EXCELLENT advice, and falls in line with my experience. One of the main things I`ve learned is making sure to work it over enough with the applicator. I cross-hatch, but repeat with a third time just to make sure it`s worked in well enough.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks. This is my first real experience with coatings and I want to do it right without learning things the hard way. I appreciate the tips

Thread Information