Retired Geezer
    Post Thanks / Like

Coatings: a few questions for expersts

I have CquartzUK on my 14 vette and love it. I put it on. It looks great I use Reload about every 60 days and since I like to detail, I never worry about long term results. It`s garaged in florida. But many are asking me:

1. for a non detailer, will UK and like coatings PROTECT a black car against swirls and marring? Does it stop the "black cars are murder to take care of" conversations?

2. Will it last for a few years with just washes, what kind of washes?

3. And if youu want to refresh it, what`s the way, another UK coat on top or do I have to polish it off?

I also use prima hydro during the dry, honestly I got so many diff productss on my car I can`t tell you which one is doing the heavy lifiting as it looks a foot deep and gorgeous...LOL

thanks guys...any day of the week it looks like this:
    Glen
    21 X2 M35i
    18 300 Xmax

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Coatings: a few questions for expersts

I`ll find out the answer to some of those questions, starting next week.
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Post Thanks / Like

Answers from Todd about oc pro

I assume, results should probably be similar.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Helme View Post
    It adds swirl resistance, not swirl prevention! Proper wash techniques are key!!!

Use the two-bucket method, outlined here: Autopia-CarCare How-To Guides: How To Wash Your Car

You can use a QD spray, but use Optimum Instant Gloss Enhancer. I would recommend sticking with Optimum for all your exterior needs - Optimum Shampoo, QD, Spray Wax (if desired). Optimum No Rinse & Shine is a great way to wash an OptiCoated car..

Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by glen e View Post
    I have CquartzUK on my 14 vette and love it. I put it on. It looks great I use Reload about every 60 days and since I like to detail, I never worry about long term results. It`s garaged in Florida. But many are asking me:

1. For a non detailer, will UK and like coatings PROTECT a black car against swirls and marring? Does it stop the "black cars are murder to take care of" conversations?

2. Will it last for a few years with just washes, what kind of washes?

3. And if you want to refresh it, what`s the way, another UK coat on top or do I have to polish it off?

I also use prima hydro during the dry, honestly I got so many diff products on my car I can`t tell you which one is doing the heavy lifting as it looks a foot deep and gorgeous...LOL

I`m necessarily a pro; but here are my thoughts and observations on coating in general.

1. Coatings in general are the “force field” that some advertise them as being. Coating will help aid in the reduction of swirls and marring, but only when the proper techniques and precautions are taken. IMO the important thing about a coating is how it sheds / repels dirt & water. This is what is important because a good pre-rinse will help to remove more dirt & contamination thus reducing the chances of swirls and marring. The hardness claims to me are not really as important to me, they are simply and added benefit. A coating doesn’t protect or give some the reason to do a bad wash job. Even 1 poor wash job or “touch” auto car wash can swirl & marr the coating.
    With that said I think a coating does help in maintaining a vehicle. Since it more easily sheds dirt and water it make it easier to wash and care for. It will still gather dust as it sits but not to the same extent an oily wax will. And even the dust is easier to remove.

2. A coatings life can vary a lot based on what kind of vehicle it is and how it is cared for. (DD / Weekend Show Car) Even on a weekend show car an application of wax could last 1yr easily if it is cared for properly. On my own daily driver I had CQ org last over 2 years. I expect CQUK to last anywhere from 18-24+ months on a daily driver, and possibly 3-4+ years on a Weekend Show Car depending on how they are cared for.
    Link: http://www.autopiaforums.com/forums/...rotection.html

The type of washing to me in not necessarily as important as making sure they are done correctly while taking all the proper precautions to minimize and chance of marring / scratching. I personally have done 2BM, Rinseless, Waterless. It just depends on the level & type of dirt.

3. It is my understanding that to “re-fresh” CQUK you need to make sure you take get it perfectly clean again. You don’t have to polish it off but you do need to make sure you remove any wax or polymer topper you have applied. This is one big reason to stick with Reload / Hydro2 for CQ/CQUK.
    To get it back to perfectly clean I would do IronX, TarX as needed. Then I would wash it with IronX soap or Reset. I am planning on doing this in the next few months on my Jetta from my CQ testing. I applied 2-layers of CQUK last fall and will be adding another 1-2 .

Opti Coat Pro Certified Orinda Auto Detail's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

CQUK IR cured will add some scratch resistant, I`ve done this my own car and literally scrubbed it with a boa towel dry(although this a 10$ awesome towel) it didn`t marr the paint, when I know this same thing Marred and OC pro car. Like everyone said wash it the right way and itll be alllllrrrriiiigggghhhttt!

Post Thanks / Like

I also use prima hydro during the dry, honestly I got so many diff productss on my car I can`t tell you which one is doing the heavy lifiting as it looks a foot deep and gorgeous...LOL

I use this about every other wash/dry. The finish it leaves is amazing (like a pool) not to mention how much eaiser it makes drying.
    2018 Chevy Colorado ZR2
    www.autiopia.org

Thread Information