Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Optic Coat Pro 2.0 on BRZ....Massive Swirls and Failed water test. (Video)

This BRZ had OC Pro 2.0 put on 3 months ago and keep in mind it was kept in his garage for about 2 months since he was out of town. He said it was only washed 2 times and he used the proper wash 2 bucket wash method. After showing him a car that I was doing a maintance wash that had NanoSkin Ceramic for 2 months in near perfect paint condition and what water should do...roll off and not hang there like the OC Pro did on the BRZ. He wanted the OC Pro 2.0 removed and the NS Ceramic applied right away. He told me he paid $800 for the OC Pro coating from a local detailer.

Opti Coat Pro 2.0 Failure after a few months - YouTube

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Optic Coat Pro 2.0 on BRZ....Massive Swirls and Failed water test. (Video)

Something just doesn`t add up here. Complete OC Pro failure, full of swirls and has only been washed two times using a 2BM. Who`s ZOOMIN who here?????

Post Thanks / Like

Honestly looked like the water was sitting on both sides exactly the same, if anything more on the nanoskin side.

Post Thanks / Like

the little patch on the driver side where I poured the water...you can see the water shed away...the OC area had water beads hang on the paint. I only did a 1`x1` test area for the demo. You can see the water shed away where the water stays more on the OC. If he did not show me the receipt of the amount and the name of the detail shop who I know I would think there was nothing even on the paint as for protection. I have talked to the main guy at OC...Dr. whoever even said OC Pro 2.0 was designed to bead and not shed water. After having a 45 min conversation with him and him admitting that OC Pro or any OC coating is not Permanent unlike how its marketed on any car or detailing forum where there is a OC Rep. Look at the video again and you will see where the water sheds off the NanoSkin Ceramic and more water stays on the OC areas. As I was told by the owner of OC that its a 9H rated for hardness and if what the owner of the BRZ said was true....3 things happened.....1). The OC did not do whats its supposed to do....2). The well known detail shop did not put any OC Pro 2.0 or any protection on due the swirls, heavy comtamination and failing a water test in my eyes and charged him $800 cuz he was led to believe on a car forum people told him to get OC Pro 2.0....3) The owner did not wash his car in the proper methon the way he said he did when I asked him how he washed his car.

Post Thanks / Like

Sound`s like OC2.0 was never applied or the prep was incorrect (no IPA wipedown) and never bonded. Even if he washed and dried it horribly, without polishing it the OC should still be on there.

And $800 for a paint correction and opti-coat seems a bit crazy.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ec90 View Post
    Sound`s like OC2.0 was never applied or the prep was incorrect (no IPA wipedown) and never bonded. Even if he washed and dried it horribly, without polishing it the OC should still be on there.

And $800 for a paint correction and opti-coat seems a bit crazy.
    I thought about that also...but I couldnt imagne that well know detailer scam, forget or do that detail and screw it up. Btw Im not here to hate on OC but I would not put it on a customers car when I know there is no Permanent coating even though that is how its pushed on people who dont know better.....Short Term... Yes....LongTerm....Yes....Permanant...Marketing

Post Thanks / Like

Breaking one of my own rules in replying to this.

I applied OC 2.0 to this 2008 Acura TL about 8 months ago. It came in for a maintenance wash 5/12/2013 and had been washed maybe only a couple of times since the OC application.

Rinsed with pressure washer:

Foamed with CG Citrus Wash (Red) and GDPWM with CG Citrus Wash Clear (both stripping strength):

Not saying your observations are untrue but, on a properly prepared surface, OC is quite durable.

Now I will freely admit the added scratch resistance claims, not just of OC but of pretty much all coatings I have tried, are exaggerated IMHO - at least on soft paint. There may be some but it is not dramatic.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree Mike I`ve had OC on my truck going on 9 months and it still looks great. Do I think it`s permanent NO, do I tell people it`s permanent NO. If you are selling it to a customer you also have to educate them on just what they are buying and what they can realistically expect. I don`t believe it was ever applied to this car or the job was totally botched up which makes me question how this detail shop ever got the Pro version to begin with. I would think OPT would be pretty diligent in who they let have this version considering they are now offering a warranty program. If this shop is in fact doing this kind of work then the customer should be educated on what they were supposed to get in comparison to what they got, and let him take it from there. If nothing else then they may get a refund or the job done correctly or just maybe the shop may be not allowed by OPT to be a Pro installer if in fact they are turning out this kind of work.

Opti Coat Pro Certified Orinda Auto Detail's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Reflectiveauto View Post
    This BRZ had OC Pro 2.0 put on 3 months ago and keep in mind it was kept in his garage for about 2 months since he was out of town. He said it was only washed 2 times and he used the proper wash 2 bucket wash method. After showing him a car that I was doing a maintance wash that had NanoSkin Ceramic for 2 months in near perfect paint condition and what water should do...roll off and not hang there like the OC Pro did on the BRZ. He wanted the OC Pro 2.0 removed and the NS Ceramic applied right away. He told me he paid $800 for the OC Pro coating from a local detailer.

Opti Coat Pro 2.0 Failure after a few months - YouTube
    This is simple as I`ve told you before. Who ever installed the OC FAILED point blank. They did something wrong or there wouldn`t be a problem like this. You jump to blame the product so quick because your on nanoskins nuts for some reason which is fine and I`m sure if you apply that wrong it will fail as well in next to no time. I just don`t get it. And you knocking the fact that there are some swirls on that car? Well I saw the Black BRZ you did from a pic out in the sun and well.... Either you messed up when applying NS and marred up the paint, didn`t polish the paint to perfect, or the customer swirled it up after they left with it. I`ll make my own assumptions on that one. I`m really not trying to argue with over this topic because arguing with you is like beating a dead horse. It`s just OC pro is AWESOME when its applied the right way. And considering you`ve never even used it(I know this because only authorized installers can get it) Your sure quick to knock it. I`ve never used NS so I have no clue whats it like but you don`t see bashing it every chance I get do you? I`m not going to respond to anything else in this thread I`m just letting you know John that your attitude is horrible online and everyone on every forum and every group on FB thinks your a Joke because of stuff like this. Not one professional takes you seriously. I use forums and groups to learn and grow my business from everyone and anyone. Not to annoy people and start stuff because I`m bored. HAVE A GREAT WEEKEND!!!! BTW I feel like I cheated my self responding to this because I have a car I should be working on sitting here thanks for letting me get drawn into your bs and wasting my time AGAIN. This will be the last time!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Oh snap.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jsmooth View Post
    This is simple as I`ve told you before. Who ever installed the OC FAILED point blank. They did something wrong or there wouldn`t be a problem like this. You jump to blame the product so quick because your on nanoskins nuts for some reason which is fine and I`m sure if you apply that wrong it will fail as well in next to no time. I just don`t get it. And you knocking the fact that there are some swirls on that car? Well I saw the Black BRZ you did from a pic out in the sun and well.... Either you messed up when applying NS and marred up the paint, didn`t polish the paint to perfect, or the customer swirled it up after they left with it. I`ll make my own assumptions on that one. I`m really not trying to argue with over this topic because arguing with you is like beating a dead horse. It`s just OC pro is AWESOME when its applied the right way. And considering you`ve never even used it(I know this because only authorized installers can get it) Your sure quick to knock it. I`ve never used NS so I have no clue whats it like but you don`t see bashing it every chance I get do you? I`m not going to respond to anything else in this thread I`m just letting you know John that your attitude is horrible online and everyone on every forum and every group on FB thinks your a Joke because of stuff like this. Not one professional takes you seriously. I use forums and groups to learn and grow my business from everyone and anyone. Not to annoy people and start stuff because I`m bored. HAVE A GREAT WEEKEND!!!! BTW I feel like I cheated my self responding to this because I have a car I should be working on sitting here thanks for letting me get drawn into your bs and wasting my time AGAIN. This will be the last time!!!
    some people just don`t get it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Reflectiveauto View Post
    I don`t get it, the opti-coated side was still beading water, how can you tell us that it isn`t working? Just because it wasn`t repelling water as good as the side that you just freshly did doesn`t mean it doesn`t work. I could put a fresh layer of turtle wax on one side and tell everyone that the other side isn`t working because I just got done putting it on. Of course it probably isn`t going to bead as much. And how do we know you took the opti-coat off and didn`t just add a layer of nano-skin? Just like Jsmooth said, I cannot take you serious, and as for your customer, I feel bad for him because he has to deal with this
    Get your shine on!

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

I have Opti-Guard on my Shop Grand Cherokee (black), going on a year.
    I drove it 6000 miles in all kinds of weather and bugs, snow, hail, rain, high heat, washed it by hand with Optimum car wash, dried it with Master Blaster, and even today, in rain, unwashed, it beads water exactly the same - uniform lined up beads running off the surface.
    Washing it is so, so, much easier with this coating! I love how much easier it is to remove dirt off the car.
    When it is dry and the Jeep is clean, it stays cleaner way longer, because dirt does not stick to it as easily.
    When I was in Texas for 6 months last year, I hardly washed it at all. It never rained, the car stayed cleaner than with just a sealer or wax product..
    I prepared it properly, and washed it with Car Pro Eraser a few times before I applied the coating and let it dry and cure inside the garage.
    If it helps me wash my vehicle easier and faster and keeps it looking great between washes, I am down for that product !
    Optimum coatings - Yes !
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jsmooth View Post
    Im sorry Jsmoothness that you dont take me seriously...I dont care. I question everything as you can see...I dont ride the bandwagon on anything. Its just because you were led blindly concerning OC and I showed a video of it with like no hydrophobic protection after 3 months and it had swirls...so much for a 9H rating for OC...Ive seen scratch tests for Gtechniq that put OC to shame. Im sorry I did not drink the Kook Aid like you Jsmoothness..oh wait...no Im not.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
    I have Opti-Guard on my Shop Grand Cherokee (black), going on a year.
    I drove it 6000 miles in all kinds of weather and bugs, snow, hail, rain, high heat, washed it by hand with Optimum car wash, dried it with Master Blaster, and even today, in rain, unwashed, it beads water exactly the same - uniform lined up beads running off the surface.
    Washing it is so, so, much easier with this coating! I love how much easier it is to remove dirt off the car.
    When it is dry and the Jeep is clean, it stays cleaner way longer, because dirt does not stick to it as easily.
    When I was in Texas for 6 months last year, I hardly washed it at all. It never rained, the car stayed cleaner than with just a sealer or wax product..
    I prepared it properly, and washed it with Car Pro Eraser a few times before I applied the coating and let it dry and cure inside the garage.
    If it helps me wash my vehicle easier and faster and keeps it looking great between washes, I am down for that product !
    Optimum coatings - Yes !
    Dan F
    Bring it down to the Shop and lets do some side by side comparison testing. Im in Puyallup, WA. Ill buy lunch.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information