Autopia Forums - Auto Detailing & Car Care Discussion Forum
Go Back   Autopia Forums - Auto Detailing & Car Care Discussion Forum > Autopia Car Care Guide To Detailing > Waxes, Sealants, and LSP's
Waxes, Sealants, and LSP's Feel free to openly discussion your favorite waxes, sealants, coatings, or combinations.

» Car Care Brands
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Chris@Optimum

(#1) Old
Nth Degree would be a good candidate for mayor of Autopiaforums.com.

Question about Opti-Coat and clear bra - 04-12-2012, 07:05 AM

Does anyone know about the compatibility of these?

I have a customer who might want to Opti-Coat a new car and plans to apply a clear bra. I recommended a detail first to decontaminate the paint before sealing it in under the bra, but I'm not sure if I should apply the Opti-Coat until the bra is applied.

Will Opti-Coat inhibit the adhesion of the clear bra if Opti-Coat is done first? What about layering Opti-Coat on top of the clear bra? Any advantage? Or should it just be taped off?

(#2) Old
Icon Detailing
BIOLINK is starting to get a good reputation around here.

Re: Question about Opti-Coat and clear bra - 04-12-2012, 07:50 AM

I have the very same question. I considering Opti Coat on the replacement bra.

I hear voices in my mind and you’re worried that you’re the freak.

(#3) Old
Optimum Product Support
Chris@Optimum is an incredible help to Autopiaforums.com members!Chris@Optimum is an incredible help to Autopiaforums.com members!

Re: Question about Opti-Coat and clear bra - 04-12-2012, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nth Degree View Post
Does anyone know about the compatibility of these?

I have a customer who might want to Opti-Coat a new car and plans to apply a clear bra. I recommended a detail first to decontaminate the paint before sealing it in under the bra, but I'm not sure if I should apply the Opti-Coat until the bra is applied.

Will Opti-Coat inhibit the adhesion of the clear bra if Opti-Coat is done first? What about layering Opti-Coat on top of the clear bra? Any advantage? Or should it just be taped off?
You can apply it over or under or both. It will not prevent adhesion and will protect the paint as usual. It also benefits the clear bra by reducing yellowing and improving scratch resistance.

(#4) Old
Icon Detailing
BIOLINK is starting to get a good reputation around here.

Re: Question about Opti-Coat and clear bra - 04-12-2012, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris@Optimum View Post
You can apply it over or under or both. It will not prevent adhesion and will protect the paint as usual. It also benefits the clear bra by reducing yellowing and improving scratch resistance.
I'm in!

I hear voices in my mind and you’re worried that you’re the freak.

(#5) Old
Nth Degree would be a good candidate for mayor of Autopiaforums.com.

Re: Question about Opti-Coat and clear bra - 04-12-2012, 05:53 PM

Great! Thanks, Chris.

Is it safe to say the same applies to wheel weights? I would imagine centripetal force makes adhesion less critical.

(#6) Old
Optimum Product Support
Chris@Optimum is an incredible help to Autopiaforums.com members!Chris@Optimum is an incredible help to Autopiaforums.com members!

Re: Question about Opti-Coat and clear bra - 04-13-2012, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nth Degree View Post
Great! Thanks, Chris.

Is it safe to say the same applies to wheel weights? I would imagine centripetal force makes adhesion less critical.
Yes, Adhesives will have no problem bonding to OC. It's repellancy for contaminants doesn't prevent adhesion.

(#7) Old
Just a regular guy
Todd Helme Can Make Rust ShineTodd Helme Can Make Rust ShineTodd Helme Can Make Rust ShineTodd Helme Can Make Rust ShineTodd Helme Can Make Rust ShineTodd Helme Can Make Rust ShineTodd Helme Can Make Rust ShineTodd Helme Can Make Rust ShineTodd Helme Can Make Rust ShineTodd Helme Can Make Rust ShineTodd Helme Can Make Rust Shine

Re: Question about Opti-Coat and clear bra - 04-13-2012, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Yes, Adhesives will have no problem bonding to OC. It's repellancy for contaminants doesn't prevent adhesion.

(#8) Old
Greg Nichols is starting to get a good reputation around here.

Re: Question about Opti-Coat and clear bra - 04-13-2012, 07:34 PM

Chris correct me if my thinking is wrong.

I would think that if you OC before you apply the bra, IF you ever have to remove the bra it will reduce the chance of pulling paint as it really bonded to the coating, not the paint itself?

Cheers,
GREG

Reflections Detailing of Utah
"Detailing for the Discerning owner"
Meguiars/Ford Detailing team SEMA 2010, 2011

duPont Registry Endorsed Detailer

(#9) Old
Optimum Product Support

Re: Question about Opti-Coat and clear bra - 04-16-2012, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Nichols View Post
Chris correct me if my thinking is wrong.

I would think that if you OC before you apply the bra, IF you ever have to remove the bra it will reduce the chance of pulling paint as it really bonded to the coating, not the paint itself?

Cheers,
GREG
Greg,

OC becomes the topcoat so there is not distiguishable point where OC stops and the OEM clear begins. You are right that it will help improve safety if removal is required, but if the primer, color coat, or the clear coat are not properly layered, OC will not prevent pulling paint.
Greg Nichols likes this.