Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    For those who like to apply their waxes and polishes and cleaners by hand, do you like to use a back and forth motion or circles? How much pressure do you apply?
    2003 Apex Silver Lancer Evolution VIII

Post Thanks / Like
    How much pressure you apply depends on what product you are using, and what you are using it for. If it is a wax, then you dont need that much pressure. But, if you are using an abrasive to remove swirls or scratches, then you might need a little more pressure.

The samething goes for how you apply the product. It depends on the product. For Klasse or Zanio, I like back and fourth motions. I also like back and fourth motions for using abrasive products. As for wax, sometime I use circular, others times back and fourth.

Post Thanks / Like
    I like to use Viking foam pads when applying sealant. Light to medium pressure. Straight lines from bumper to bumper on top surfaces, up and down straight lines on verticle surfaces. On bumpers and grills and such, go with the longest direction in a straight line. Did I mention to use straight lines?:up
    2002 Torch Red Corvette convertible

1997 Red/Tan Expedition

1993 Red Eclipse (wife`s)

Zaino - tried it...loved it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Currently I am using Meguiars products. I will switch to Zaino once I am through with the Meguiars products. Here`s what I`m using right now: #9 Swirl Remover, #7 Show car glaze, and Gold class liquid wax and sometimes #26 Yellow wax. I use foam pads for all of them. Does it matter if I use back and fourth or circles with these products? My goals are to remove scratches and swirls too and give the car all the protection it needs.

Post Thanks / Like
    It can`t hurt and will get you used to doing it. I have heard that some people like to use circles when removing swirls with SMR or similar. Other use only back and forth. But most all would agree that straight line motions are the hot ticket to keep swirls at a minimum.

You will find that it isn`t any more difficult than circles - in fact I think I like doing it better now that it is second nature.

Interestingly, Zaino recommends using circles to apply Z1. Straight lines for everything else.
    2002 Torch Red Corvette convertible

1997 Red/Tan Expedition

1993 Red Eclipse (wife`s)

Zaino - tried it...loved it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Polish - I apply my 3M polish in a firm circle, despite what people may say, the circle is the correct way, read the back of the bottle.

Wax - I apply in light circles, overlapping a bit, doing one panel at a time.

The polish is applied by a white pad on my Porter Cable.

The wax is applied via a foam hand pad.

Both removed by terry cloth towels.

Post Thanks / Like
    The logic behind straight lines is that if you create swirls with the abrasives or the trapped dirt, they are on a straight line and they are harder to see.

When you apply stuff in circles you are basically making 360 degree swirls that will show up an any angle.

Straight lines make sense to me, so that is the way i do it.

Post Thanks / Like
    I tried both and it seems that the circles work better. They seem to fill the swirl`s much much faster.

I have tried both and the circles seem better and the bottle says circles are better.

Going back and forth is causing little marks in a complete new direction, I rather remove 95% of the round marks and maybe make 5% new round marks than remove 60% of the round marks and make new fresh back and forth marks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blackmirror-

Although the Gold Class wax does give an awesome shine, the protective qualities only last a couple of weeks. You are better off to stay with the #26 wax. It lasts a lot longer.

Post Thanks / Like
    thanks for all the tips! man i love this board already :up :bounce

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve been told by a professional detailer who has a mega company in Toronto to ALWAYS use linear movements...especially in dark colors, such as black.

Post Thanks / Like
    I don`t know, I don`t think it would make a big difference either way.

I just don`t know why 3M would give bad intructions.

Post Thanks / Like
    <blockquote class=`ipsBlockquote` >

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by Blackmirror [/i]
    <strong class=`bbc`>
    <snip> I use foam pads for all of them. Does it matter if I use back and fourth or circles with these products? [/b]</blockquote>
    Am I correct with my assumption that the foam applicator pads mentioned above (and elsewhere) are the cotton terry or cotton towel covered things? I mean the surface on these things isn`t foam, right?
    Bill Belichick for President - Romeo Crennel for Secretary of Defense!

1999 Mercedes Benz ML-320 (Mercedes price, Chrysler quality!)

2002 Subaru Impreza WRX (STi on order)

Post Thanks / Like
    Hehe, finally a question that I am actually qualified to answer without hesitation!

Foam applicators are not covered with terrycloth. They are usually round (in contrast to the terrycloth and microfiber applicators which are usually rectangular) and are made so that foam is spreading your wax/sealant/polish on the car. In answer to your question......Yes! the surface of these things are foam. Some people prefer foam applicators because they feel it is easier to apply a thin coat and glides over your paint easier when applying product.

Post Thanks / Like
    hmmm ...

Got it! Now, is there a particular brand of foam applicator, that I might find at Pep Boys, Target or WalMart, that is favored?
    Bill Belichick for President - Romeo Crennel for Secretary of Defense!

1999 Mercedes Benz ML-320 (Mercedes price, Chrysler quality!)

2002 Subaru Impreza WRX (STi on order)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information