Post Thanks / Like

Meguiars gold class car wash melting window rubber?

was out washing my work truck today and had an issue. I normally use blue coral wash & wax & then spray on meguiars ultimate quik wax and wipe dry. today for some reason the wife mixed some meguiars gold class wash into the blue coral and as I washed around the window rubber it was wiping off rubber residue on my rag and smearing it everywhere. after I figured out what she did I dumped the bucket and just to test I refilled it with just the gold class. went around to the other side which hadnt been touched with the first soap mix and it still smeared rubber everywhere. I have used the blue coral/quik wax combo for over a year without this happening. I also use the gold class on my wifes car weekly and never had this happen. anyone know which of these may not mix well or whats going on here? thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Meguiars gold class car wash melting window rubber?

Was your bucket contaminated?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by metalmilitia View Post
    today for some reason the wife mixed some meguiars gold class wash into the blue coral
    Maybe this is just what you get for letting your wife mix up your wash bucket

Seriously though, that exposed rubber gets UV damaged and a lot of black residue can come off, maybe the Blue Coral just wasn`t a good enough cleaner to loosen it up.

There`s probably about 17 kinds of rubber and trim on your vehicle, and 17 different kinds on mine, but I find using a product like Ultima Tire & Trim Gel or Wolfgang Exterior Trim Sealant (and probably the Blackfire tire and trim product, but I haven`t used that yet) really helps on the rubber trim, but you need to clean it first with diluted APC until no more black gunk comes off.

Post Thanks / Like

I always wash out the bucket with soap before I start so it was good. the rubber affected was just the window trims. they were all clean looking and slick before I started. they looked and felt almost new and didnt leave any residue on rags, clothes or skin. after I washed it they kept leaving residue on anything that touched them. I finally, that evening, took some collinite 845 and polished on them until they were slick again & wiped it with a clean cloth. so far everything seems ok. one of them has a couple pitted spots where it looks like they rubber broke down. IDK other than maybe something in the 2 soaps doesnt play well together.

Post Thanks / Like

forgot to add prior to this happening I had been using a tire & trim gel made by black magic on the trim. after reading others on here were using the collinite on their trim and seeing it stop the trainwreck that as happening to my trim I went ahead & did all the rubber and trim, mirrors, bumper cover, etc... with the collinite.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah that black magic is probably your culprit. The Colli is great on rubber; the smell is the only thing that keeps me from applying to inside door seals.
    Slate Metallic 2015 Toyota Corolla LE, 1.8L CVT

Bright White 2014 Dodge GCV, 30th Anniversary Edition, Blacktop Package. 3.6L 6A

Thread Information