Post Thanks / Like

Waterless wash questions and fears...

It was 40 degrees in NY today. The good news is everything but my winter unit is coated and ready to go.

The bad news is my daily driver, coated with EXO v2 is really dirty. I was hoping for a good heavy rain to clean it up as the EXO is very self cleaning in a heavy downpour.

Here is the current condition:

It is so dirty that I really fear using an ONR wash forget about a waterless wash. I can feel the dirt. I have very little experience with Rinseless washing.

My Ideas are as follows:

1. Mix up ONR to very concentrated version if rinseless wash in a 5 gallon pail. Place 15-25 microfiber towels into the bucket. Wipe pannels and when the MF is dirty, throw it into an empty laundry bucket and repeat. Dry each panel when clean. Not sure this will be a mar free wash.

2. Same as above but pre-soak the panel with ONR and a pressurized sprayer.

3. Suck it up, and wet wash the car. 40 degrees is not going to ice up anything.

Any tips and tricks are appreciated as at some point I will need to turn the water off.

I am open to new product and procedures.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Waterless wash questions and fears...

Can you go to a coin-op and blast it first?

Use warm water for your rinseless solution.

Steam works well in conjunction too.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, No Coin Ops around here.

I can use warm water and I just purchased a steamer so I will be glad to put it to use. Dont you think that kind of steam heat will remove the EXO?

Quote Originally Posted by mjlinane View Post
    Can you go to a coin-op and blast it first?

Use warm water for your rinseless solution.

Steam works well in conjunction too.

Post Thanks / Like

Doubt it. Kind of like a pressure washer. The temp drops pretty fast as you get away from the nozzle. A foot or so and it really isn`t that hot. And your panels will be cold.

Post Thanks / Like

I`d use the ORN, with a separate clean water bucket to since the wash pad and go that direction. It`s worked for me in the dead of winter here
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like

Use this technique and you don`t have to worry about that.

http://www.autopiaforums.com/forums/...s-roundup.html

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JSFM35X View Post
    1. Mix up ONR to very concentrated version if rinseless wash in a 5 gallon pail. Place 15-25 microfiber towels into the bucket. Wipe pannels and when the MF is dirty, throw it into an empty laundry bucket and repeat. Dry each panel when clean. Not sure this will be a mar free wash.
    This is the Gary Dean wash method and works well, but I`m more comfortable doing a traditional ONR wash when the car is really dirty. ie: Long fiber MF mitt using allot of solution then dry with a damp towel then a fluffy dry towel. I wouldn`t mix the ONR at more than an once per gallon though for a wash as you might get streaking.

Post Thanks / Like

Do a search for a local detail shop and pay them the $20 to just hand wash it quickly or find a car wash location that specializes in hand car wash. I used to drive out of my way every week just to get to the hand car wash place. They are usually a little more expensive than your average place. Around here, at a hand wash, it`s nearly $30 bucks but always well worth it if you desperate.

Post Thanks / Like

And please don`t tell me there are no coin ops or hand washes or detail shops around. If that`s true you either live in a very rural area or have a great opportunity to open such a business and fill the void. Even the most rural areas of the Pocono mountains or south jersey have coin ops somewhere.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MidwayRec View Post
    Do a search for a local detail shop and pay them the $20 to just hand wash it quickly or find a car wash location that specializes in hand car wash. I used to drive out of my way every week just to get to the hand car wash place. They are usually a little more expensive than your average place. Around here, at a hand wash, it`s nearly $30 bucks but always well worth it if you desperate.
    Quote Originally Posted by MidwayRec View Post
    And please don`t tell me there are no coin ops or hand washes or detail shops around. If that`s true you either live in a very rural area or have a great opportunity to open such a business and fill the void. Even the most rural areas of the Pocono mountains or south jersey have coin ops somewhere.

Since the original poster of this thread voiced his concerns about 6 months ago I`m guessing he found the answer to his car cleaning questions. He probably even washed his car sometime between October 2013 and April 23, 2014.

Post Thanks / Like

You could just bring it to me

If your up for a drive I will be prepping my car Friday for a 3 step and coating + a topper. If you can make it your more than welcome to use the foam canon, microfiber mitts and a crazy 3 bm system.

Post Thanks / Like

Just use a regular rinseless wash, doing the following....

First, mist the car with diluted ONR as a presoak.

Next, wash the entire car (don`t worry about drying so much) using ONR with 3 to 4 long nap micorfiber towels. Just lightly lightly wipe across the surface slowly. Make sure to use PLENTY of solution and slightly wring out the solution over the section before wiping.... Then lightly slide the microfiber over the paint, allowing it to do all the work.

Once the car is "washed" in this manner, use a fresh solution of ONR and clean towels (3 to 4 is all that is needed). Rewash the car, top to bottom, washing and drying a section at a time as normal. I like to wash a section, wring out the towel, and damp wipe it one final time before drying.

Since the first step (pre rinse and soak) will have removed 90% of the dirt, you can do this second wash as normal. Wash, wipe, dry, next...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by spiralout462 View Post
    Since the original poster of this thread voiced his concerns about 6 months ago I`m guessing he found the answer to his car cleaning questions. He probably even washed his car sometime between October 2013 and April 23, 2014.

I realized this just figured my advice was still viable for someone in a similar situation. I`ve never used a waterless wash product.

Thread Information