Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Washing: Wash Media

Wash Media is defined as the material or tool you use to wash your paint. Different types of wash media have advantages or disadvantages depending on their design and the material they are made from. Ultimately the biggest deciding factor on the best wash media will be your preference in how the media works. All wash media sold by Autopia-CarCare is of the highest quality and is safe for delicate paints when used in the appropriate manner.

You can view Autopia`s large selection of quality wash media here: Autopia-CarCare: Wash Mitts

Pads vs. Mitts:

A wash pad is something you hold onto while you wash. A wash mitt is something that is designed to fit around your hand while you wash. A wish mitt is harder to drop because it fits around your hand, but is often bulkier to wash with for the same reason.

Material: Wash media comes in several distinct types of material:

Cotton- Cotton used to be one of the only choices for car washing in the old days and was a fine choice. If using cotton as a wash media you should only use 100% natural cotton as cheaper blends tend to have nylon backing that can scratch.

Foam- Wash media can come in several types of foam, most often with large open cells to hold large volumes of soap-solution and to trap abrasive dirt and grime with out scratching the paint. Foam swells when it is loaded with soap-solution and can often hold a large volume per weight. Foam pads are commonly referred to as sponges.

Microfiber- Microfiber comes in many different cuts, lengths, and densities. It is also available as a wash media in many different styles: wrapped around a sponge pad, as a mitt, a cloth, or in a fingered design. Longer length microfiber pile is great for holding dirt and grime from the paint during washing where a shorter pile is ideal when more cleaning more is needed; such as removing polishing oils after machine buffing. Microfiber has great cleaning property but tends to trap grit and grime making it more difficult to rinse clean.

Natural Sponge- Natural Sea Sponges become extremely soft when wet and hold a tremendous volume of soap-solution relative to their size because the membrane fibers swell. If you used aggressively natural sea sponges can tear, but their soft feel and large water retention make them the choice of many connoisseurs.

Sheep Skin/Lamb`s Wool- Natural Sheep Skin wash mitts feature high quality and ultra soft lamb`s wool. The lamb`s wool holds a large volume of soap-solution and is extremely soft to the paint. The pile will remove dirt and hold it safely away from the paint. The main downside to sheep skin/lamb`s wool wash media is that it has to be cared for or it will rot.

Autopia-Best Sellars

The Lake Country ULTI-Mitt is a foam wash mitt that holds a huge volume of water. Sewn into the back of the mitt is a black foam block for cleaning grimy areas with out cross-contamination. The red, open-celled foam is very soft and rinses clean.

The Lake Country Foam Wash Sponge is an update on the popular grout sponge concept. This thick, porous wash sponge is cross-cut with channels to pull dirt away from the paint as you wash your car. The channels minimize the risk of wash-induced swirls. The porous foam holds a tremendous amount of soapy water to lubricate and protect the paint. The channels in the foam create foam cubes all over the sponge. These little cubes give the foam more flexibility to conform to the shape of your vehicle. Two cut-outs on each side of the sponge make it easier to grip with wet hands.

The Natural Sea Sponges are a natural wash pad that holds an amazing amount auto wash solution and is extremely soft to the paint. These little Earth made gems rinse clean and with proper car will last a long time.

The Cobra Microfiber Wash Bone is a thick foam pad wrapped in fluffy microfiber. This gives "The Bone" the advantages of a microfiber towel with the solution holding of a foam pad. Named after it`s shape, the Cobra Bone is easy to hold onto.

The Cobra Green Micro-Chenille Wash Mitt is affectionately called the "Rasta" or the "Dreadlock" by many pro`s and enthusiasts due to its long-haired design. The microfiber is wrapped into a thick pile, bridging the gap between silky soft microfiber and thicker, fluffier sheepskin.

The Sheepskin Wash Mitt is extremely gentle and holds a large amount of aut wash. This Sheep Skin Wash Mitt is made of selected pelts and does a great job gently washing the paint while removing and trapping abrasive grit away. For the longest life you must thoroughly rinse your sheepskin mitt with clean, cool water after each use and allow to air dry. With care, your natural sheepskin mitt will last a full year or longer.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Washing: Wash Media

I swear I must have ADD, what do you use and why if money was no object
    ?

Post Thanks / Like

My lambs wool mitt began falling apart immediately after the first use, and the mf mitts don`t hold enough suds for me. I need a couple of mitts badly. Any recommendations?

Post Thanks / Like
    I really like wool wash mitts. I have a few that are well over a year old. There have been some the shed quick and fall apart while most I`ve purchased have been fine. I think it can be hit or miss at times when purchasing wool mitts. The key to having it last is taking care of it after each use.

Wring all the water out you can and hang to dry. When you wash it do it by hand and not in a machine.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket View Post
    I really like wool wash mitts. I have a few that are well over a year old. There have been some the shed quick and fall apart while most I`ve purchased have been fine. I think it can be hit or miss at times when purchasing wool mitts. The key to having it last is taking care of it after each use.

Wring all the water out you can and hang to dry. When you wash it do it by hand and not in a machine.
    What`s your procedure for getting it ready for a wash? Is it as simple as soaking it in the wash bucket before hand, or are you doing something different?

Post Thanks / Like

my micro chenille mitt holds a ton of soapy water which is good and kinda bad at the same time in my opinion. I feel that it absorbs to much soap water and when using the 2 bucket method it seems like im wasting to much good water wringing it out every time in the rinse bucket. When im finished washing and start to wring out the mitt it takes forever to get all the water out.
    Zach

That`s just how i roll...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CT3 View Post
    What`s your procedure for getting it ready for a wash? Is it as simple as soaking it in the wash bucket before hand, or are you doing something different?
    No I just soak it for a little bit. I usually rinse the car and treat any bugs or tar while it soaks

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CT3 View Post
    My lambs wool mitt began falling apart immediately after the first use, and the mf mitts don`t hold enough suds for me. I need a couple of mitts badly. Any recommendations?
    I like Race Glaze wash mitts but I know there are other ones as well. There are only a couple places in the US that carry them. They do not fall apart -especially not the interior lining like some of the mf mitts do.

I will soak my mitts somewhat before using but I always put them on the hand.

The bigger mitts (dreadlock, bigger wool) can get heavy when loaded with soap so I like to control the pressure while wiping. This is not as easy if you use the mitt like a wash pad.

When I am done, I rinse them out, wring out the water but not twisting it that tightly to stress it, and then hang it up to air dry.

Al
    The Need to Bead

Post Thanks / Like

Sheepskin lambs wool mitts are nice, but they are so soft that sometimes they just glide right over the dirt lol.

I wanna try one of those sea sponges and see how they work, they look just right for washing...
    Get your shine on!

Post Thanks / Like
    I haven`t used race glaze but I`ve been wanting to try them. I`ve got a GTechniq mitt that is really nice. Not too thick (the only reason I don`t like the Dodo mitt) but thicker than some of the cheaper mitts I`ve bought

Post Thanks / Like

Use the natural sea sponge myself.. love it.

Rinses out really well and easy and is extremely gentle on paint.
    Thomas Kehlenbeck
    Aggressive Detailing

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JSFM35X View Post
    I swear I must have ADD, what do you use and why if money was no object
    ?
    I use either a Natural Sea Sponge or Lake Country Foam Wash Mitt on my own car (switch it up to be cool) in combination with a microfiber towel and a credit car (to wash all of the body seems) for regular washing.

After I polish a car I will use a shorter nap microfiber towel to wash with.

Post Thanks / Like

I use the Sheepskin Wash Pad and like them. But my favorite is the Carpro Merino Wool Wash Mitt!!! This mitt is simply amazing!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Really Sheepskin lambs wool mitts are very good to use for wash it removes all dust.

Post Thanks / Like

In terms of cleaning I would rate microfiber as best, wool mitt second, and sponges third.

Al
    The Need to Bead

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information