Post Thanks / Like
    Just got a new Passat in Indigo blue. I`m going to wax it for the first time as soon as the weather clears and had some different waxes I used for my other car, so I`ll tell you what I have and you can tell me what order I should use these products in or if I should use them at all. I do have some very minute hairline scratches that I can see in the paint.

Here`s what I have.

- Zymol Cleaner Wax

- Meguires #7

- Meguires Gold Class

I know these are not the "best" products but I would like to use this stuff up before I buy some of the "good" stuff.

Post Thanks / Like
    GREAT COLOR:up

I have detailed these cars in the past and they really give a deep shine, if you detail your car right you will truly have a "wet look" with great depth.

steps to detailing your car

hand wash, clean the rims & tires, polish, wax

Since your car is new i would do it all by hand. remember that less is more, dont use 1/2 a bottle of wax on your hood. dont let is sit on the car for too long as well, or you will be rubbing all day to get it off.

Dont forget you said you are going to buy the "good stuff", don`t think that just because it cost more it is better.

the products you are using are good products

keep coming to the forums and we can help you on what products are good and what suck.

Brian

NY`s perfect detailing

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the forum, you have some good products. Using these products will help develop your technqiue and get the most out of the better products.

I would follow NY Detailer`s advice on a hand wash, cleaning the wheels, and scrubbing the tires. Then polishing with Meguiars #7, and then waxing with Meguiars Gold Class. As NY Detailer said, more is not better, thin even coats of wax with about 1/2 and hour to an hour of dry time before buffing off the dried residue.

As for Meguiars #7, apply a nickel-quarter dab on a applicator pad (I prefer foam, but MF will work well) and spread it onto a panel (front fender, half a door panel, half the hood) with medium pressure, then keep rubbing back and forth (the way air goes over the car) until the Meguiars #7 is almost dry/hazy.

The Meguiars #7 is only a filler/glaze. It will not remove swirls, only cover them up.

Meguiars Gold Class wax will not last long maybe 2-4 weeks depending on how the car is sued (daily driver or garaged.) The wax does offer a great initital shine but that soon fades away.

Jason

Post Thanks / Like

Reverse osmosis?

A search here didn`t come up with anything, so I thought I`d ask: Does anyone use a reverse osmosis system for their wash water? I`ve got really hard water here and was wondering if that would help with spotting.

You can get a small RO system for a couple hundred. Figured setting that up with a 10 gallon tank and a small pressure washer would be ideal.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you are detailing for a living with that water then I could see the investment. If you are just washing your own car it might not be necessary. Drying with a good MF should help a lot. For less than $1 at almost any store you can buy a gallon of distilled water. After your final rinse with the hose use a gallon of distilled water as a final rinse just as you would a free flowing hose. This should greatly reduce or eliminate the spotting, especially when combined with a good towel dry. (This may be less effective if the paint is not sealed with a good LSP.)

Thread Information