Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rail dust

Post Thanks / Like
    I don`t know what to use for my gf`s 1996 Honda Accord. She is going to trade it in about one month from now.

Prior to trade, I would like to make it look as good as possible without going to all the work of perfect it and then Klasse or Zaino.

Any cheap and cheesy recommendations for quick and easy, short term products to use. I am looking for the stuff with silicone that none of us would normally use on our cars.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    SACRILIDGE!

That is the 11 commandment.

"Though shall not use cheap and cheesy short term products for quick and easy shine."

Post Thanks / Like
    Maximum defect hiding with minimum work (won`t last well, but will be effective.)

1) If it needs claying, do it. It is easy and goes fast and really makes the paint feel pretty.

2) Apply a good glaze - 3M IHG or Meguiar`s #7.

3) Throw on a coat of your favorite carnauba. Blitz, Souveran are best, Meguiar`s #26 hi-tech yellow or show car wax, 3M`s stuff are all fine.

And don`t worry about it. If you`re trading the car in, the dealer is going to detail it anyway, and might not even look at the car very carefully. If you`re going to sell it privately, then it makes more sense.

Post Thanks / Like
    I traded my car in and the dealer did not even look at it close. Just a far away glance. He must have thought since it was so shiny there was nothing wrong with it. He gave me a flat rate for it.

Post Thanks / Like
    a few hours before you trade it in.....wash the car and use 3M Imerpial hand glaze......

Thats probably the quickest fix me up you can do......

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree, a day or so before you trade it apply 3M IHG and then a coat of any wax of your choice. Since you are trading it, use whatever cheap wax you have on hand.

Post Thanks / Like
    Im with DK, forget the wax, that is for long term protection (yeah, yeah, long term in this case may only be a few weeks!). Wash it, perhaps quickly run some clay on the hood, front quarter panels, and roof/trunk lid and put some glaze on it! It will look like a million bucks.

Post Thanks / Like
    As always, thanks.

The game plan is 3M IHG and then some Griot`s Best of Show wax. This is also an opportunity to use up some tire and interior products that I no longer use on my cars.

Guess my name:

That is the 11 commandment.

"Though shall not use cheap and cheesy short term products for quick and easy shine."

At confession, I will probably have to recite the Zaino product line 50 times.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thats what I am talking about! CAR prayers

Say:

I will cherish my car more than my own skin.

I will lovingly detail my car weekly.

I will only use the finest products available on my car.

I will induce no swirls.

I will never knock someone else`s detail job.

I will be civil and cherish all cars.

AMEN.

We need a list of detailing commandments.

Post Thanks / Like

Rail dust

I need some help with removing rail dust. I just got done clay barring the truck completely with some effort but want to find out what everyone else does to remove or reduce it. I am in very meticulous on my vehicles and when I bought a white truck I had no clue. Not much I can do now but figure out how to remove it when it`s there. I have sealed and waxed the truck and is currently being used part time. Any advise would be appreciated, I hear that there`s some type of silicone cloth to try but have no clue about it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by single shot View Post
    I need some help with removing rail dust. I just got done clay barring the truck completely with some effort but want to find out what everyone else does to remove or reduce it. I am in very meticulous on my vehicles and when I bought a white truck I had no clue. Not much I can do now but figure out how to remove it when it`s there. I have sealed and waxed the truck and is currently being used part time. Any advise would be appreciated, I hear that there`s some type of silicone cloth to try but have no clue about it.
    Damn I`m good. I knew the color of your vehicle before I saw the thread :clap:

Theres something about white cars that makes them show raildust more then others. I suppose its because they are white

After you clay, and the surface is level. Either hit it with a polisher or if thats not avalible try hitting it with a cleaner wax. It will also require 1 bottle of elbow grease if you choose the latter method :blacksmith:

Welcome to TruthInDetailing. Hope to see you around :partaaay2:

Post Thanks / Like
    i have had good results with the Valugard ABC system for rail dust issues on new cars, consists of an acid neutralizer wash, alkaline neutralizer wash, and a ph balanced wash.
    Paul
    Eastside Auto Spa

Post Thanks / Like
    What type of clay bar did you use? I have a white Scion and I have to clay the back of it all the time because of all the little rust spots and everything else. Anyway, I use Megs white to clay most of the time but when I have stubborn spots I step up to Clay Magic`s blue clay. Its a little more aggresive than the white and always takes the crap out. Just have to work on it a little. Try a more aggresive clay and see if that works.

They sell the Clay Magic at O reily`s I think

Post Thanks / Like
    Clay Magic is also available at Auto Zone should other stores not be available. Good luck with the claying as it isn`t bad after the first few times.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAutoSpa View Post
    i have had good results with the Valugard ABC system for rail dust issues on new cars, consists of an acid neutralizer wash, alkaline neutralizer wash, and a ph balanced wash.
    I have heard aout this stuff but have never tried it. Can you also use this product on hard water spots :Snowman:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information