Thread: Which Tarp?

Post Thanks / Like
    Almost to the point where I can wash and detail my vehicle in my garage in any kind of weather. I`ve installed 10 4ft T8 Cold Balast Flourescent Lights and ran cable around the perimeter of the inside of the garage to create a wash bay so walls, workbench etc don`t get wet. I`ll hang tarps on the wire which creates a shower curtain affect and I`ll be able to swing the tarps into the corner when I`m finished.

I`ve read alot about those who detail inside their garages that they paint their walls white to brighten things up. My question is should I get white tarps or the blue tarps which are half the cost? Would white tarps brighten things or wouldn`t it really make that much difference?

Post Thanks / Like
    I`d get the white ones, or better yet, get silver ones. I`ve seen the silver ones in, IIFRC, Gempler`s catalog.

Yeah, they do cost more, but you`d be surprised at how much better light colors reflect light. I use the blue (and green) tarps for all sorts of things, and I`ve had them up as partitions in buildings. Not much light got reflected off them, despite their shiny surface.

Sounds like you`re getting your place well set up :xyxthumbs

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Accumulator

I`d get the white ones, or better yet, get silver ones. I`ve seen the silver ones in, IIFRC, Gempler`s catalog.

I`ve been debating the same thing...white or silver. At tarps plus.com they have every color you can imagine. I`d be getting the heavy duty ones so the price is the same for either the white or silver. All things being equal would you still get the silver over the white?

Post Thanks / Like
    have u thought about getting shower curtains? i dont know the difference in prices im sure u would have to buy more shower curtains than tarps but u could just stick them on the hooks like normal and slide them outta the way when you were finished washing? might could pick up a bunch of cheapo curtains just to block the water then just use regular lighting for polishing and everything else

Post Thanks / Like
    i would choose white over silver if it were me

Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe I`m missing the point, but the need for the maximum light is after you have finished washing and have pulled back the tarps to reveal the white walls?

Avoiding blue might be a good thing but perhaps its not so critical?
    I can`t believe you kiss your car good night.

C`mon baby tell me-you must be jokin`, right!
    Shania Twain

Citroen BX `88, Lomax 223 `85, Citroen 11BN `56

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by butchdave

Maybe I`m missing the point, but the need for the maximum light is after you have finished washing and have pulled back the tarps to reveal the white walls?

Avoiding blue might be a good thing but perhaps its not so critical?
    It wouldn`t be a problem except my walls aren`t finished and have the brown back insulation showing. I figured the white tarps might simulate white walls when I`m doing finishing work.

Post Thanks / Like
    Plus, I`d like to have as things as bright as possible when washing anyhow. And I`d pull them out when using a rotary to keep any splatter contained.

I dunno about white/silver...think I`d go with white after all as long as they were still opaque/reflective. Sometimes white plastic will let light *through* instead of reflecting it, especially if it`s thin. Silver is almost always gonn reflect light instead of letting it pass through.

Thread Information