Post Thanks / Like
    i was looking through my Griots Garage Catalogue last night and i came accross this air compressor. i have a smaller, one car garage that is 10x18 and already has some shelves and a work bench in it, not to mention my car.

here is the discription from GG:

\PORTABLE AND POWERFUL. THIS 150 PSI AIR COMPRESSOR IS PERFECT FOR YOUR GARAGE.

When comparing the performance of this air compressor to other larger and more expensive units, I was stunned. Though it fits into a small cabinet or underneath a workbench, it outperforms other air compressors twice its size! What`s important in an air compressor? Its ability to deliver an ample supply of air (measured in standard cubic feet per minute, SCFM) to run a variety of air driven tools, tire inflators, brake bleeders, paint guns, etc. When the 4.5 gallon tank`s air supply dips to 110 psi and automatic cut-in activates for sustained performance. For safety a cut-off is activated at 150 psi so the tank doesn`t over fill. With this compressor and the appropriate air tools, you can quickly change tires, loosen those repetitive fasteners (like on oil pans), fill tires, blow clean the workbench or blow out clogged windshield nozzles (last week`s project...) The list is endless. Impressive air delivery of 7.7 SCFM @ 40psi and 6 SCFM @ 90psi. At only 22 1⁄4"w x 28 1⁄2"d and 14" tall, it easily fits in a trunk should you want to take it to a remote job site. An extendable handle and tubeless rubber tires make it completely mobile, even over rough terrain. The quiet 3.5 peak HP motor draws only 15 amps and runs on 120V household current via the 5 1⁄2" 3-wire grounded power cord. ASME safety valve and built-in air regulator are installed and the unit is oil-free. The faceplate is removable and can be mounted above your work bench, to a wall or wherever using an extension hose (hose not included.) Once you`ve had an air compressor in your garage, it`s hard to imagine living without one.

GG offers it for $379, well knowing how much they mark things up i went looking for the same model elsewhere and found it on amazon for about $100 less.

I dont know too much about air compressors and i have never had one. I would like to use some air tools, be able to blow water off the car after washing and maybe even do a little painting. I would like the unit to be quiet because i have a neighbor`s bed room above my garage and i like to work earlier in the mornings on the weekend.

I would like to store it on the bottom of one of my shelves so that it doenst take up any of my floor space.

SO! what do you guys think?
    clean car = happy car

Post Thanks / Like
    i was just looking on amazon, and they offer 2 different models.. that look alot alike, the JOB BOSS and the BIG DOG. the big dog is the one i posted above, that goes for $269, the Job Boss goes for $359 on amazon, i cant tell which one GG offers.. anyone know the differences between these two compressors?
    clean car = happy car

Post Thanks / Like
    Funny you mention air compressors! I took the plunge and purchased one finally and its on its way. I`ve been looking for one for about 6 months so I got the chance to really look around. When looking for a compressor you have a few things to consider, however manufacturers have this penchant for HP like it actually matters much. The HP rating at peak means nothing. Under stress gives you an idea for the power of the compressor but you`re not interested in that, you want to know its air delivery potential. Essentially it comes down to what you want to run and how much at the same time. My recommendation is to look at what tools you want to run and check their CFM ratings. Then compare it to your compressor. This unit should be pretty quiet but in my opinion its weak. It will be fine for blowing off the car or running some tools but you`ll have to be careful since it is rated at 7.7 SCFM @ 40psi and 6 SCFM @ 90psi which is not much. Also consider that due to the size, the tank is tiny so if you`re planning to use it for extended periods of time you`ll be waiting for the compressor to `catch up` often. As far as painting around the house I imagine it should work but it will not work for automotive painting at all.

Overall if you`re looking for something around the house that isn`t a monstrosity and is convenient (portable, single stage, quiet, etc.) and don`t plan on giving it too much a workout, this compressor should work for you. I would still compare around prices though for comparative models. Hope that helps : D

Post Thanks / Like
    I looked at the two models and the difference is quiet motor vs more `performance`. The Job Boss has the `quiet motor` and runs at a peak hp of 2.5 with 4.4 cfm@ 90 psi. The Big Dog runs around 6 cfm @ 90 psi without the `quiet motor`.

Post Thanks / Like
    thanks alot for taking the time to look at those!
    clean car = happy car

Post Thanks / Like
    As ncal mentioned, CFM is everything. I would reccomend checking around. Figure out what tools you want and check the CFM. Then look for a compressor that has at least that CFM. The more the better. The less often the compressor has to run during use.

There are a couple of diffent alternatives in larger compressors (bigger than the size you are looking at, like shop size):

oiled vs oil free

single stage vs 2 stage

Oiled last longer, but are more of a hastle. Single stage are cheaper, but louder.

My dad had a book called Air Tools: How To Choose, Use and Maintain Them . It had some good information for air compressors and air tools that I had not seen elsewhere. I checked amazon and the no longer sell it.

One other word of warning, make sure you have the power to run the compressor. When I bought my house, the garage had one outlet. This wiring ran around the entire house and back to the breaker box 10ft from the outlet. The electrical resistance of the wiring was so great that I could not run my 6hp compressor on this outlet without tripping the breaker. I have since added additional outlets and do not have that problem.

Post Thanks / Like
    Haha that reminds me of a funny story recently. Yesterday I received a relatively heavy shipment from UPS (exhaust pipes) and the guy laughed as he handed me the shipment, `You shipping corpses?". I laughed thinking, `Wait till the 400lb compressor arrives!`

Thread Information