Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Everyone.

So I have been in contact with one of my fraternity brothers who is a graduate student now. He is someone whose word I would always believe. Very honest guy and knows his stuff from a business standpoint.

Anyways, he is planning on starting up a car-wash in an affluent area. He has done all the marketing research on the area as well as been in touch with his lawyer, architect, town, so on and so forth. So this is all being done correctly. So he got in contact with me because he saw my site and was impressed with my work.

He wants me to do detailing out of an attached garage to the car wash. He wants to make this big and do it right. Obviously I will help him with car wash supplies and research machines that aren`t so abrasive to the vehicle`s finish.

So he asked me to get dimensions and requirements for the garage. It will be a 1 car garage with enough room to store a little bit of equipment (vaccum, steam extractor, products) and detail. Nothing crazy, but professional looking. I know I will need shelving and lighting.

My question is: Can anyone help me with the sizes of a garage that can even fit the largest of SUVS (Excursion) and Vans (Conversion Vans) and still detail? Also, any ideas on what else I would need inside? I am a mobile detailer and have all the detailing equipment, but what else would I need to make this bay `furnished`?

Any help is greatly appreciated. And pictures would be great too. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Good luck. Sounds interesting... yahh yahh not much advice though.
    Too many products ... too few cars!

Post Thanks / Like
    In my opinion for width you need at least 20` and length would depend on where you were going to store your equipment and supplies.

Don`t forget about air compressor, etc.

Post Thanks / Like
    You prolly should touch base with folks like JIMAMARY or MIRRORFINISHMAN. They own detail shops and can give you specifics for equipt, size, electrical, lighting, etc.
    There are only three things you need to know about me. Gloss, Gloss, GLOSS!!

Professional Detailer detailbarn's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    my suggestion would be 24` deep x 24` wide. This is what my main shop area is. Then I have 12`x24` bay that seperated from the garage and divded in half, front half is office and back is storage. I have other shop plans that I can share with you. PM and we can talk some more about this.

That'll buff right out! jimmybuffit's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have 12` ceilings and a 10` door opening, which accomodate everything I had in the last year. Will also tolerate most vehicles on an anticipated 48" scissor lift. My shop is 25` x 42` =1100sf. About 25` x12` (300sf) is for the Wash Bay. I`d make the shop 30` wide (5` additional). That would allow TWO Suburbans side by side, with just enough room to work.

I wish I had:

More space!

Additional overhead door (drive thru).

More HVAC capacity.

Retractable overhead electric.

Daylight! (Windows/skylights)

More Space.

Even though you may not be washing cars, you`ll still want a center floor drain, with flat floors sloping to it.

Dedicated 20 amp circuits (with GFI) for the Air compressor, pressure washer, and extractor. My Century 400 Sensei needs TWO 20 amp circuits!

Even more lighting! at least some of it should be portable. Use ceiling-mount Metal Halide lights if at all possible. A combination of fluorescents and halogens on the walls at about 36".

Give careful consideration to the colors used in the shop!

Have you seen my Gallery ? BTW, I`ve added $600 in add`l wall lighting since those photos!

Lots more!

Jim

Oh, BTW, a year into your project, you`ll wish you had more space!
    "If it was easy, everybody`d be doing it."
    www.jimmybuffit.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by GSRstilez

My question is: Can anyone help me with the sizes of a garage that can even fit the largest of SUVS (Excursion) and Vans (Conversion Vans) and still detail? Also, any ideas on what else I would need inside? I am a mobile detailer and have all the detailing equipment, but what else would I need to make this bay `furnished`?

GSRstilez,

I actually own a mobile detailing business here in Southern NJ, so I am really not able to give you too much info about what you need to furnish your bay.

However, I will offer the following suggestion: You will want to consider having an oversized `overhead` garage door. One that will accommodate those taller full sized vans and extreme SUV`s.

Also, the equipment you will need depends on the type of service you intend to offer. For more info in this area you may want to visit and post your message over at the web-cars forum. There are a few people there who already have their own detail shop and would certainly have more info to offer.

I hope this helps...

Post Thanks / Like
    Sean

I noticed a grammar and spelling error on your site on top just below your company name! It`s the first thing that stares out at you!

You wrote:

"A perfect detail is through a process, not just a product."

It should be:

"A perfect detail is a thorough process, not just a product."

Nice Cobra detail!

I also like how you get the carpeting to look like that. What do you use? An extractor?

Good luck with setting up a shop.
    Seth

Post Thanks / Like
    Spilchy: I have been caught on this one before. Read what I have written outloud. I am saying a perfect detail is THROUGH a process...meaning its not just a product you use but the whole procedure (process). See what I`m saying?

Thanks for the compliments. Yeh, I use a portable Bissel to suck out the dirty water. Works great and leaves those cool lines

Post Thanks / Like
    jimamary and mirrorfinishman: I thank you very much for your insight. I did not think of some of the things you mentioned, but would definately need. I appreciate your help and will keep everyone posted on how it goes.

Post Thanks / Like
    It`s still very akward. If I`m not the only one who has questioned it, I`m sure many other have noticed it as well

How about:

"A perfect detail is not just a product, but an achievement through a process"

Maybe give an adjective to describe that "process."

Sorry to change the thread on you, just want to help out

A Bissell does tht good a job? I hated mine and returned it to Target and use my 6.5hp Craftsman wet/dry vac (without the filter) as an extractor. Works real well.
    Seth

Thread Information