Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    The other day I left my house in a hurry, pressed the remote as usual and didn`t look back.

You guessed it - when I returned about 20 minutes later, the garage door was up. When I tried again, it went back up and I had to lube the center rail to get it to close.

Lucky my garage faces a bunch of other houses in a reasonably well trafficked street, so nothing was stolen. But it was a big worry... I have my tool chests, machinery, tv and so on in there - all ready to be taken in a whim by an opportunist who saw this open garage.

How does everyone secure their garages? I have a motion sensor alarm connected to the rest of the house, but everyone knows that no-one takes much notice of house alarms these days because of their unreliability.

Save tying everything down in lockable compartments, what can I do?

And wouldn`t it be great if the garage door texted my cellphone when it was open for more than 5 minutes?

Ken Silver

--------------

1993 Mercedes SL500, 1991 Daimler (Vanden Plas), 1991 Miata MX5 ... Finish detailing them, then start all over again...

Post Thanks / Like
    I have the special James Bond Lotus Style Garage Protection System. Upon unauthorized entry the entire property will explode. If I can`t have my garage and the stuff in it then nobody can. This was my last house that got messed with.

...stupid cat... That`ll teach him to jump in through the window.
    Keeping Texas clean one car at a time!

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by KenSilver

The other day I left my house in a hurry, pressed the remote as usual and didn`t look back.

Happened to a friend last month. Got home, and all their power tools were gone, including the PC and all the pads.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you have a key operated switch that you have access to outside the garage controling the automatic opener (as most by me do) keep in mind its just a set of electrical contacts normally powered by 12 volts. Meaning that a water pistol properly aimed ( or a hose) will make the contacts and your garage will open unless it is bolt locked.

How do I know, I lost my key and the locksmith showed me, he claims all the kids know it, new one to me.........

Post Thanks / Like
    This is a great company, I have purchased lots of home automation products from them and have been more than happy.

http://www.smarthome.com/7137.html

Post Thanks / Like
    Bob,

That garage door closer looks like a great idea! Exactly solves the problem, and it`s not as wasteful as Jngrbrdman`s exploding system

By the way, nice Mustang. My tax consultant has a 2003 model and he`s hooked on them - he`s had several.

Post Thanks / Like
    Garage security? 2 words. Big dog.

To deter the casual thief, you can put up signs such as "Beware of Dog" and alarm company signs, even if you don`t have either. For the professional thief, well, if they want it...

If you`re in good with the neighbors, you could start a neighborhood watch. It doesn`t necessarily have to be active (patrols and such), but the street signs posting such can deter casual thieves. Local police can give you more info.

For automatic garage doors, I`d disable any outside switch/key that activates it. Make sure your system has a "rolling" code for your remote. Deadbolts on all exterior doors. And maybe frost the windows to your garage so people can`t just look in and see your toys (blinds can be left open, and unless fit perfect, can still allow a limited view inside).

Dave

Post Thanks / Like
    Good points Dave. Particularly the rolling code. Thanks!

Ken Silver

--------------

1993 Mercedes SL500, 1991 Daimler (Vanden Plas), 1992 Miata MX5 ... Finish detailing them, then start all over again...

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by KenSilver

Bob,

That garage door closer looks like a great idea! Exactly solves the problem, and it`s not as wasteful as Jngrbrdman`s exploding system

Ha ha! Not as wasteful!

Would that have worked in your case, though? It sounded like your door was jamming in the track causing it to go back up?

Hearing these stories, now I don`t feel like such a goob for always sitting there until the door closes all the way (though I worry it will freak out and go back up on it`s own as soon as I drive away).

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Aurora40

It sounded like your door was jamming in the track causing it to go back up?

Yep, the center guide still had old grease on, plus quite a bit of wind at the time which acted as an obstruction/ damper causing it to open again.

That episode has taught me a lesson, and like you I sit there until the door clangs closed and stays there. To save time we can always do up a seatbelt or look for pimples in the mirror while it happens.

Post Thanks / Like
    :wavey

I`m usually a stickler for closing the garage door. One nice day I went to the hardware store and left the garage doors open, after all I was only going to be gone a minute. Sure enough, when I returned, my compressor was gone. Now, the doors get closed EVERY time I leave or even go upstairs for something. My next compressor will be bolted to the ground and not a portable one.

:grrr I will sit and wait for the door to close completely and always keep it lubed up. Live and learn I guess
    Ken

`01 Honda S2000, `04 Mazda 6

The need for speed!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Day to day is tough because the garage doors are the weak spot. I do, however, put padlocks on them and disconnect the electric openers when I leave for the weekend or go on vacation. I always lock my cabinets just to make things harder just in case!

My windows are glass block which let in lot of light plus are very secure.

And don`t forget to lock your cars!

:xyxthumbs
    The Stable
    2017 Audi TTS
    2014 Porsche Carrera S
    2017 Porsche Macan GTS
    1996 Porsche Carrera 4S

Post Thanks / Like
    Great thread, everyone- thanks for the tips!

I won`t have the garage until April, but am already looking into security measures.
    `01 Sentra SE
    Calgary Sports Car Club #406 DSS

In Exile
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have two security guards on standyby at all times; "Smith" and "Wesson".

:-)

Post Thanks / Like
    And if all else fails....Make sure you have "replacement cost coverage" on your contents and you insurance premium is paid.

It varies fron state to state but I have not found a significant difference in premium by keeping the deductible down around 250 or 500.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information