Post Thanks / Like
    so I just received my digital Longacre tire gauge. Anyone own a digital tire gauge. I must have spent 4X the amount of time checking out the pressure on my car with this gauge. It`s very finicky and if you don`t get the gauge *on the money spot* at the good angle, it will register 0 PSI or 3-6PSI.

For those that do own a digital tire gauge, has this been your experiance also. I`ve got a Accutire that I gave my pops also and don`t remember if it was as picky as this one. I would have expected better from Longacre...

Post Thanks / Like
    I have one from Herrington. Nice, heavy duty unit protected in rubber with a life time battery. It takes great readings but takes 10 seconds to cycle back to 0.

So when I check my tire and I put too much air in, I have to wait 10 seconds before I can take it again. That`s my only issue.

What`s neat about it, is that there is no on/off switch.

The "money spot" is easy to find. No problems with that.
    Seth

Post Thanks / Like
    I have an Accutire gauge. Yes, mine is picky too. You need to hit it right on the stem otherwise it won`t take the pressure. It`s kinda a PITA. I find myself reaching for my dial gauge more than my digital gauge.
    Taking my signature to it`s MAXIMUM POTENTIAL

Post Thanks / Like
    My Accutire digital gauge also is way too sensitive for normal readouts. Gave up on it in lieu of my trusty Porsche gauge that came with my new 1985 911. Its German quality and it still works very well after all these years. Accutire is a pos in my opinion.

Post Thanks / Like
    I got a digital tire gauge for Xmas and I really like it. I feel its much more accurate then the old style gauges. My has a nice carry case and a lifetime battery. I think its pretty easy to hit the sweet spot when checking also.
    Only Z Best Detailing-Automotive Concours Detailing Services
    http://ozbdetailing.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ozbautodetailing

Post Thanks / Like
    I bought an Accutire gauge about a year ago when Sears had them on sale. Mine is really easy to use and I assume( ) it is more accurate than a pencil type, but I don`t really know. My digital gauge read about a pound different from my old pencil gauge and IMO, that`s close enough to depend on either type of gauge.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by ShowroomLincoln

I have an Accutire gauge. Yes, mine is picky too. You need to hit it right on the stem otherwise it won`t take the pressure. It`s kinda a PITA. I find myself reaching for my dial gauge more than my digital gauge.

I agree completely. I have two digital gauges (a fancy Accutire and a keychain-sized one) but both can be fussy. I have a Longacre racing dial gauge with a bleeder valve and it`s a lot easier to use. The only time I use the Accutire is at night because the display and the tip are both lighted.
    There are only three things you need to know about me. Gloss, Gloss, GLOSS!!

Post Thanks / Like
    You know it`s funny this is being brought up. I also have a digital tire gauge (argh! can`t remember if it`s a genuine Accutire) and find it finicky to seat the seal on the valve stem sometimes. By contrast my father`s 30 year old pencil tire guage (somehow) seats with mindless ease and doesn`t make a single peep or hiss when reading pressure. Totally silent.

I think he got it from when he worked at a gas station way back when. I guess they really don`t make them like they used to.... :sosad

Post Thanks / Like
    I have one as well. Im suprised the subject hasnt been breached here before. I take pressure very seriously. I run 36 psi all the time 40 psi when on the highway.

Im not sure what brand my tyre gauge is, just picked it up at one of the local auto parts stores. Only gripe is that you have to wait 10 seconds for it to turn after getting a reading then turn it back on to get another reading. I have to get the angle right as well.

Had anyone used the digital tyre pressure machines at the gas stations? I have used them but im not sure how accurate they are.
    One of the Original Autopians !!!

Post Thanks / Like
    I change my pressure all the time when I`m in my X5. I plan to head up to Cape Cod this summer and from what I`ve heard that have these Great spots where you can take you jeep with ya....there`s airstations along the way to inflate/deflate your tires.

Got`s me thinking why I spent this much $$ on gauge that is so finicky. I`m gonna have to check with my dealer and see if they will take it for a refund or maybe exchange it out for a good old tried & true dial gauge. Just when I thought I bought another quality tool.....argh.

Just curious, how often do ya`ll check your tire pressure. I do mine once a month. Only takes a few minutes but it`s well worth checking IMO.

Post Thanks / Like
    Someone did a test of various digital and old pencil style gauges on Bimmerfest a while back, the results are posted there. The pencil and "Analog" gauges were on average not as accurate as all the digitals reviewed, the guy really did a great test, I will try the search feature and see if I can post it, definately worth reading.

I was an aircraft tech early in my career and found that digital was far more accurate, the old gauge style I had was only off 3%, but 3% of 235 PSI starts to add up. We had our digitals calibrated every year, I would compare my own cheap digital with the calibrated unit and my cheap unit was right on or below 1% off.

Post Thanks / Like
    I don`t think anyone is saying the digitals are not accurate, they are just saying the consumer digital gauges seem difficult to use. When I use my Accutire, it takes several tries for me to hit the "sweet spot" to get the pressure. Where as with my dial guage, it works the first time, everytime. :up
    Taking my signature to it`s MAXIMUM POTENTIAL

Post Thanks / Like
    There`s also a thread about tire gauges at Edmunds Town Hall.

Lots of NASCAR teams use digital gauges from Longacre or a competitor. There`s some pretty fancy gauges out there. www.longacreracing.com

The Longacre I have is identical to this one except the protective rubber casing is smooth instead of toothed like this one:

There are only three things you need to know about me. Gloss, Gloss, GLOSS!!

Post Thanks / Like
    I would have to agree about the accutire digital guage. I have one of the ones that comes in the metal case and is backlit. It might be accurate but it is a royal pain to get it to seat on the valve stem. Now my older dial gauge that I have is never a problem and it also has a bleed valve on it. To get the accutire one to bleed off some air you have to pull it off, or more like just move it. The chuck on the accutire is too shallow and allows the valve to move too easily. I am almost temped to give the Griots gauge a try. I am a sucker for griots stuff!

Thread Information