Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    So I will be doing an extremely modified Integra relatively soon and it has a 9 month old paint job. The body shop left some sanding tracer marks and heavy orange peel in some areas.

I have wetsanded many times before and am comfortable with it. I have already told the client the risks with wetsanding as well as it reduces the life of the paint job. He is all for it as its very new and well taken care of. He has Klasse on it now, so it`s one of those "take it to the next level" jobs.

Anyways, right now, I am getting between $30-40 an hour on standard details. What do you think a good price per hour would be for a wetsanding job?

Thanks in advance.

Post Thanks / Like
    **Disclaimer*** No pro here.

Do you have to do the entire car or just certain "bad" areas?

I quoted a guy $450 to wetsand and buff a civic today. He said he had a guy who would do it for $180. LOL. I told him that he should go to him.

The way I see is that ALL detailing at this level is "skilled labor" chrage what you are worth. Can`t wait to see pics.
    Word of Mouth Detailing
    A man with experience is not at the mercy of a man with an opinion

Post Thanks / Like
    there is a scratch on a certian black car that needs some wet sanding...

hint hint..

Post Thanks / Like
    If he understands the dangers and your experience, I`d try to get him to sign a waiver, and then charge $45 an hour or so (on the high end of what you turn doing details, and no risk involved w/ the waiver).

If not.... I`d charge him through the nose, to justify the risk.
    Once you buff black, you never go back

Post Thanks / Like
    I`d charge $50-60 an hour for wetsanding, cut and buff. It is some seriously skilled work and should be charged for accordingly.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Scottwax

I`d charge $50-60 an hour for wetsanding, cut and buff. It is some seriously skilled work and should be charged for accordingly.

Ditto. :up
    "If you want to be rich - work. If you want to be clever - study. But if you want to be happy - do what you really like"

Post Thanks / Like
    Charge what it takes to do a great job. Wetsanding is very specialized and shouldn`t be rushed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Scottwax

Spot on. I`d go for the disclaimer too. It sounds like you`re only hitting a few spots. One of my neighbors works in a body shop and has been teaching me over the past year or so. I`m comfortable with it on my equipment, but I`m not sure if I`d be willing to risk it with a customer, especially one that I didn`t know very well.

Are you using this stuff?

http://www.sisweb.com/micromesh/

Micro-Mesh Regular (silicone carbide grit with standard backing) - The standard grade of Micro-Mesh used for the majority of operations on plastics, paints, wood and most metals and polymers. It is used to produce a uniformly smooth surface and bring the surface to a high gloss finish. Available in grades 1500 to 12000 (30 to 2 microns).

It`s a very good product (and a bit safer too).

On 3M paper, I like using a damp Poorboys PVA as a backing plate. It works very well, and helps keep the pressure light and uniform.

Good luck and post up some pics when you`re done!

Post Thanks / Like
    Although I`ve never done this for a customer, $50-$60 an hour does sound right on for this type of work. Especially in the are in which you live.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks everyone. I really appreciate the input.

The owner wants the whole vehicle to look the same smoothness of surface wise. Its a good chance it will be the whole car. It`ll be a long day, but also a well paying one. I`ll keep people updated.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by GSRstilez

Anyways, right now, I am getting between $30-40 an hour on standard details. What do you think a good price per hour would be for a wetsanding job?

At $30-40 an hour, sounds like you will have to charge somewhere between $240 and $320 for an eight hour day.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sean

I would charge the guy around $400.00

Remember Wool is your friend. Foam will generate too much heat. I would only use foam for the final polish. I think you said that you have some Optimum. It works great with a wool-finishing pad. It will really reduce your compounding swirls. Then after wool go straight to a finishing pad

Good luck.

Ron Harris

Concours Auto Salon

Authorized Modesta Paint Coatings Applier.

Post Thanks / Like
    Around here shops seem to be charging $300+ to wet sand a car. I heard that one shop was to busy and didn`t really want the job so they quoted $750 for a SUV. The guy asked when he could start it. I had to buff someone wet sanding job not to long ago. :angry What a mess.

James

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by GSRstilez

So I will be doing an extremely modified Integra relatively soon and it has a 9 month old paint job. The body shop left some sanding tracer marks and heavy orange peel in some areas.

I have wetsanded many times before and am comfortable with it. I have already told the client the risks with wetsanding as well as it reduces the life of the paint job. He is all for it as its very new and well taken care of. He has Klasse on it now, so it`s one of those "take it to the next level" jobs.

Thanks in advance.

Definitely have him sign a waiver up front. You have no idea of the quality of the paint, or the paint job. Also take readings from all areas with your electronic thickness guage before you begin to work. I charge no less than $50 an hour for wetsanding and have never had any complaints about the price. If someone doesn`t want to pay it - send them to the body shop and see how much they will charge.

Post Thanks / Like
    Scott is correct in that you have no idea what may have been done to the car prior to you.

Most, if not all, car manufacturers discourage any type of wetsanding because the clears are so thin and seem to be getting thinner. The UV protection lives in the first micro thin layer so be careful.

Now if it is a repaint then you are a bit safer. If my client is having something repainted I`ll always tell the paint guys tomake sure they put on a good amount of clear and I`ll take care of the rest

Anthony
    "The Art & Science of Auto Detail"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information