Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    My Final Project for one of my Classes is to create any program I want it has to be innovative and difficult enough.

I had the idea of creating a Program that could be used at detailing shops for a customer database, reserve cars, check in cars ect ect...

What would you guys look for in a program like this? I want your ideas because if I do go with this I will probably be needing someone to test this program as well.

What would you want in a program to help run your shop?

Oh and if I finish this and you guys like it, whoever helps me in this thread would get the program for free.

This is going to be a complete working program, not just a project so your input is needed.

thanks

Bryan

Post Thanks / Like
    i`m not a total pro but I would be willing to help at least it will be able to chart the times i clean my subbie..

patrick

PS I love your black subbie...

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok guys... I have posted that I need ideas for my program on another car forum too... so hopefully someone has a need for this so I can make it.

I was thking of the following Functions:

Reservation

Check-In/Out for Cars

Customer Database

Contract

Bill

Scheduling

Daily/Weekly/Monthly/Yearly Finance Reports

I could even add in supplies and more but I want an outside view.

Oh and holland, I don`t even have pice of my subie up but im guessing you got it from the name

Post Thanks / Like
    Well I think it`s a good idea and I was expecting that if we ever get big enough then we would have one made.

First of all ease of use is going to be the highest priority. I would rather have a program that is simple and easy to use rather then one that can do all kinds of stuff but takes a class to learn how to use.

Domino`s pizza has a system that works very well that could be a good starting point for this program. When someone calls in the customer information is brought up by their phone number. From there you can look at their order history and input their current order. Could do the exact same thing for detailing schedule.

I think having a calendar view would be a good default page. You could view the current day and then a brief summary of the things going on for the next 7 days.

We are mobile so it would be nice if you could print out the information to give to the person doing the detail as well as have a link to the printable mapquest page for directions.

If you deceide to create this program and would like my help then I can think about it some more and work with you a little on layout and specific information I would want. Just let me know.

Post Thanks / Like
    a) Ease of tying into a POS system

b) Ability to add photos of customers` vehicles when they come into the shop as well as email the customer updates on their vehicle.

c) Ability to tie into remote credit card readers

d) Detailing Chemical Inventory

e) Reservations

f) Reminders and Emails for promotions

g) Ability to remotely access the software from a web interface so that the owner can see the day`s totals, number of customers, services, etc.

.....that`s all I can think of for the moment. If I have any more ideas, I`ll post them here.

Post Thanks / Like
    My bad That was tacos STI but it was black.... I know the name from the thread over there from the wax pusher... at least he has good stuff.

Post Thanks / Like
    g) Ability to remotely access the software from a web interface so that the owner can see the day`s totals, number of customers, services, etc.

I like this idea as well so employees can check the web to find out when they are working and what they are doing on a given day.

Post Thanks / Like
    Make it available for laptops and that it can include many features we all use on forums!

Post Thanks / Like
    -A simple GUI.

-Password protection on customer/sensitive data areas within the application.

-Ability to export figures to at least Excel.

-An option for the mobile guy that would allow for easy recording of milage put on ones work vehicle from home address to appointment address etc.

. . .to add a few. How exciting! Thanks for thinking of the detailer!!!
    -Andrew.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the Ideas guys!

I will look into them and look into what I have the ability to do and see what I can come up with. I have been here for a couple years but I never got into heavy posting because I am always busy but I did detail professionaly for the past 2 summers.

If anyone has anymore Ideas you can post them, I will probably be doing my writeup tommorow night. If I don`t include your idea its probably for one of 2 reasons. First might be that I have decided on enough features to keep me busy enough making the program on time. The second would be that I think that in my timeframe your feature might be too difficult for me to implement.

If after I make the program people use it and want more features I might be inclined to continue to come out with more releases possibly at a minimal charge depending on the amount of time I put in. Most likely I will not charge unless you guys think the program is good enough that I should charge for it.

I will check back in tommorow to see what other ideas have come up, Hoping to get some input from NY Detailer and anyone running a large scale shop.

If anyone wants to donate any forms, check in sheets or anything that they currently use that they think would be relevant to the program that would be great.

Thanks

Bryan

Post Thanks / Like
    On Last Note... My Final Project is due May 3rd so by that date there will be a working product of what I am working on.

What happens past then will be determined by whether I have an internship this summer, how busy I am and whether you guys want more out of the program.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you`re going to have employees you will need to be able to track and schedule them as well.

You will want to capture taxes, environmental fees, disposal fees, and of course all your overhead and fixed costs. The devil is in the details (no pun intended), so be sure you have a place to record every expense. Catagorize them for tax purposes.

Here`s the key: You can put all kinds of data into a database, but at that point it`s just that - data. Not very useful untill you can turn it into information. If you have 20 pieces of data per record be sure you can find that record 20 different ways. I hate it when you can`t find what you`re looking for in a database. As someone already mentioned pictures is vital for bragging and protection. Make sure you have room for "comments" as well as all the structured data.

Good luck...!

Post Thanks / Like
    just wanted to let you guys know I have NOT abandoned this thread and it will be alive and kiicking and probably getting a lot longer as the month goes by but as you can guess I have other classes too and I am currently busy with those.

pending approval from my teacher I will be doing this application and once I start it I will rely on you guys to help me out. I will outline what the first release will be and start working on it probably next week. So don`t worry anyone it is coming and this seems like it will be a new program to the detailing world as I havn`t seen one of these before. Remember though, I am 1 person not a team of people working on this so it will not be the quality you would get from a team of developers whose sole job is to develop programs.

i will make every strive to have this program serve as many purposes as possible. I hope you guys are excited for this because I am excited to work on it.

Thanks

Bryan

Post Thanks / Like
    Data Base with a history of what products are used on each car.

Also a include a data base of detailing times for different type cars. This will aid in scheduling. Suburban full detail 8 hours. Explorer 6 Hours

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by STBear

Data Base with a history of what products are used on each car.

Also a include a data base of detailing times for different type cars. This will aid in scheduling. Suburban full detail 8 hours. Explorer 6 Hours

I will make notes of what should be in each database, remember as there is more information added to the databases then we will have more tables and more joins. Pretty much makes it more complex for me.

I doub`t i will include a DB of how long I think it will take to complete each car as that would take forever and my times will be different. What i will try to do is either allow you to go through the types of cars and add times for the types of details or have a history for each customer and thier specific car to know how long each detail took.

More later on this week

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information