Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    When it comes to operating a detailing business, sometimes we would just like to continue to do things the way we have always done them. It`s easy to understand, it`s almost always fun and it`s the way we know best. Hey, doing things the way we have always done them got us this far. However, as our detailing businesses continue to grow we need to take time to set realistic goals and find ways of measuring whether or not we are meeting those goals.

Since we are all at different levels in this industry, we will all have different goals. Think about it; some are new to detailing, some weekend driveway detailers, some own detail shops, some do mobile detailing, some do only wholesale dealership work, some do only re-conditioning type detailing, some do car dealer washing and prep, some do recreational vehicles, some do boats, some do power washing of tractor and trailers, some do express detailing, some do extreme detailing, some offer equipment, some offer products, some offer services and information about detailing. Yes, we are all at different levels in this industry and we all come from different backgrounds. So of course, our goals will be different. What are your detailing business goals for 2005?

Here is one of the goals that I am working on for 2005.

I am now in the planning stage of establishing a â€Ëœhands-on training tutorialâ€â„¢ for interested clients here in Southern New Jersey. Basically, it would be very much the same as any of my regular detailing jobs. The only difference being that the client would work along with me on their own vehicle and they would get to see everything involved, including the process and the products used. Is there really a need for this type of training? Well during the past few years I have found that some people just have a basic need to learn more about how they can properly clean, polish and wax their own car, just like a professional. In an attempt to fill this need, it was only natural to think about offering hands-on training tutorials.

Post Thanks / Like
    2005 will be my first year of detailing part-time. Will also be selling car care products to complement the detailing. I will start off slow and hopefully do well by end of year. I want to give a great service and to show people what their cars can and should look like.

That'll buff right out! jimmybuffit's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Expansion. I have a chance to triple my square footage, by taking some adjacent warehouse space. Low rent. I`ll have room for 5-6 cars at a time.

Good news is that the business is there...

But, do I want three times the `everything`?

I dunno. I`ll get back to you on that!
    "If it was easy, everybody`d be doing it."
    www.jimmybuffit.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Learn more about paint, and painting, working now on a HUGE key mark on a 96 civic, and learning how to paint it correctly, and about layering and clear coat, after that going to bigger spots.

Getting better with creation, and modification, along with detailing, for additonal creations and changes to cars.
    2002 Audi TT 180

Post Thanks / Like
    This spring I will be doing mobile detailing at least part-time. I have several vehicles in the driveway that I will use to practice on and try out new products. My 2003 Mazda6, my Dad`s badly oxidized and faded red/silver `88 S-10, Mom`s white 99 Reagl and my Sister`s swirled black `97 Olds Regency. I plan to start by detailing the vehicles of friends and co-workers, and hopefully get some referrals. Then maybe I can concentrate on the local market in my town. there are a lot of expensive vehicles here and lots of people with money. It seems only natural. Not to mention I have only seen one other "mobile" detailer around here. I`m not setting my expectations too high at first. I`ll let it progress naturally and see how it goes. I`m pretty excited to see the warm weather come.

Post Thanks / Like
    Building clientele

Improving techniques and product selection

Acquisition of various tools

Post Thanks / Like
    My goal is to make tons of profit and have enough to buy new 16" rims and summer tires, and snow tires for my current rims...and then still have lots of $$$ left over.

I have a summer job as well that starts on May 1st, but I hope to make enough money in the spring to have my new rims and tires on by May 1st.

I already have 11 details lined up for spring, so I should make well over $1000 in profit just from those. I also have a neighbor that said he would be happy to pass out business cards at his work, since people frequently compliment how his car looks/shines. (I detailed it)
    Paul...

`13 Mazda3i P21S/WG sealant/Paste Glaz/QD+
    `99 Mazda Protege LX - highlight silver - RIP
    `95 Nissan Maxima SE - white - slathered with Pinnacle Paste Glaz - RIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Mirrorfinishman- That "hands-on tutorial" sounds like a great idea :xyxthumbs

While I bet that some of your clients don`t care to know more, the ones who *do* will really benefit from it. A knowledgeable, educated customer is the best kind, huh? Even if they don`t want to try doing anything themselves, they`ll have a much greater appreciation for what you do and why they pay you what they do.

As for myself, I want to spend less time detailing without compromising my standards. Not sure if/how I can do this, but stuff like 3 hour washes can really eat up my time and I really want to apply myself to other endeavors.

Post Thanks / Like
    Opening my doors will be the first thing. :up Then getting the customers in the door.

James

Post Thanks / Like
    I`d like to improve my rotary abilities. In particular, polishing the sides of a car with a lot less holograms/related defects
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Clutch Cargo

Quoted text deleted.

I wonder how soon those comments will be removed?

Deleted as soon as I saw it. -- Tort

My goal is to continue to refine my detailing techniques and continue product testing as I continue my quest for the perfect finish.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    Please, DO NOT CROSSPOST!

Threads merged.

Tort

(moderator)

Post Thanks / Like
    Deleted as soon as I saw it. -- Tort

I always miss the good stuff

My goals for the year are to have a work van with all the goodies so I can stop packing up my stuff in the trunk. (my rear bumper will thank me when the abuse it takes ends )

My goals for marketing are to generate enough of my target audience to have 5 full details a week along with setting up customers on a maintenance program.

Post Thanks / Like
    The Big Picture: Innovation

More Precisely:

-Continue to tweak my techniques by reading on the boards, talking to other pros, and just plain testing them out

-Test products for companies in order to help them by my reviews but at the same time have my hands on the newest items that may not even be on the market

-Push strongly how I continually am updating products all of the time in search for the absolute best products for each customer`s vehicles

Mod Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for starting this topic. Your insight has been very helpful to me.

Here are some goals I`m shooting for... I think they`re realistic?? You tell me.

Really exceed my client`s expectations. Keep them excited about owning a very well detailed vehicle. They`ll spread the word ... I`ve been working at it a year almost, now take that experience and step up to the next level.

Have my weekends booked up 3 or more in advance for the whole summer... This will take some strong marketing. I`d better get started.

Earn enough this next season to pay for my supplies and a new trailer... I will have to do a better job of watching my costs. This past year was a hobby, now it`s time to step up!!

Learn better efficiencies and time saving techniques while providing top of the line service (not cutting corners)... I will practice and study this off season. That`s why I`m trying some new products like QEW.

Study the basics of business to ensure my business has longevity.

Rotary...

Maybe I`m aiming to high. Is that too many?

We`ll need to look back at this one in 06 to see how we did.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information