Post Thanks / Like
    Well, it was a drizzly day here in New Braunfels Tx. As such I decided to distribute some flyers in one of the more expensive sub-divisions in town. Anyways, three hours and 500 flyers later I went home to wait for somebody to call.

Well, so far I have received one call from an irate lady saying that the tape I used to place the flyer on her door stripped some paint. The lady went on to tell me that she will be sending me the bill to have the door repainted. :nixweiss

With all this said, I was wondering if we could come up with a list of what NOT to do in flyer distribution.

PS: I think that I will go the bulk mailing route in the future. Sure it will cost about $150.00 to send the same number of flyers, but at least I won`t have to deal with this @#%^.

CCH Auto Appearance, LLC C. Charles Hahn's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    rule #1: DON`T use tape! Ever!

if you are distributing flyers by putting them on house doors, just make them the kind that hang over the doorknob freely. This way they have no chance of damaging anything. Thats about the best advice I can give.

Post Thanks / Like
    All the upper-class neighborhoods around here have a newspaper box, much like a mailbox...I distributed them in those when I sent flyers out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Never...NEVER place flyers, business cards or anything else into a mailbox because it is against the law. I was told not to even hang flyers on the outside of the mailbox.

In my eyes flyers seem to be a waste of time and money. I have made several flyers and passed out thousands and thousands of them and got nothing in return.......cept for a tax write off:up

Out of say 300 hundred flyers I might get 5 calls. From those 5 calls 3 don`t want to pay the price and the other two are "Well, I`ll get back with you later"

Work on word of mouth and just make up some nice business cards. Also you can all try this little gem.

I made up some flip cards and on the front side it has a wreck of a car on it (cartoon) and the print next to it says....."Detail Me!"

Then when you open the card it has all my services, website, ph.#`s and a picture of a nice clean shiny car.

I leave these on cars and get a better return on these than flyers.

Just remember where ya`ll got the idea from......then send me a check:xyxthumbs

Anthony
    "The Art & Science of Auto Detail"

Post Thanks / Like
    You taped flyers to the door? :scared

I rolled up the flyers I put out and place them between the door knob and door jam. They`d unroll slightly and fit snugly.

I had a lot of success with flyers. I have several regulars that I got as a result of flyers on their front door or on cars. You don`t get a huge return, maybe 3-4 per 100, but hey, if you have nothing else to do during the day, pass `em out!

I got a call on one of my flyers about a year ago-I had put it on this lady`s door in 1996 and she had placed it in a drawer-was cleaning up one day and found it...and this was in 2002! She also realized it had been there a long time and I probably charged more. Needless to say, she made an appointment and I`ve cleaned her car a couple times since then, along with her daughter`s cars too.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Professional Detailer detailbarn's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I`m suprised that you guys are getting that low of a response with flyers. I am using a tri-fold now and I put out about 50 yesterday and so far I got 15 calls ands 11 jobs. I have always had great sucess with flyers and more now with my new tri-folds.

I like to put them on high end cars in local parking lots and then hit the high end community`s. Never tape them and don`t linger around a the car your putting them on , I got arrested once while putting flyers out. I was putting a flyer on a Diablo and a cop was watching from an alley way , I put the flyer on the windshield and proceeded to look in the window and at the engine. The cop came over an arrested me said I was trying to lift it. I had to prove I was a real business. :shocked

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, lesson learned as far as using tape. I really thought it was harmless though, its not as if I was using duct tape. since I made about 2000 copies(new print shop opened and is making copies at 3 cents a piece :xyxthumbs ) I will now distribute them using the folding method. Followed up with the tri fold pamphlets later in the future. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    I use the same method of advertising - distributing flyers to local homeowner`s. I also tried a different method that gave me a more greater response...I took say about 10-15 flyers and asked if I can place them in local offices and stores that get alot of high traffic...using that method got me my first customer!:xyxthumbs I would keep on using the flyer method and also the tri-fold brochure method, but I would avoid taping it though - I did that once before when I worked for an exterminating company and I was putting a bill on a customer`s door by taping it on...I didn`t know people`s faces could get so red!:scared :angry I`m going to try my hands at placing tri-folds or flyers on vehicles next to see what kind of response I get from that.

Good Luck:xyxthumbs
    "If you want to be rich - work. If you want to be clever - study. But if you want to be happy - do what you really like"

Thread Information