Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Excellence Auto Gallery
    Post Thanks / Like
    I started my mobile detailing business this past winter and due to insufficient fundalation I did not buy a pop up canopy to work under during the rainy season. Business has been fairly good and I want to buy a canopy of this winter. Initially I was planning to buy a cheap $100 canopy from WalMart, but I`m not sure if it will be durable enough in the long run. There is a local company that sells commercial grade 10x10 canopies for $299 that can be set up by one person in less than a minute. Just wondering if a 10x10 would be big enough. The next size up is a 10x15 which is $785.

I would love to get some feedback from other mobile detailers that use a tent. Should I go with a cheap one or spend a little extra for a better quality tent? 10x10, 12x12, 10x15...what is the ideal size?

Thanks for the input.

Post Thanks / Like
    10x10 is not big enough IMO. Those prices also sound high

Post Thanks / Like
    If you want a larger one, this place has them: Car Canopy, Canopy Carport
    BespokeCarDetailing and AeroCleanse, LLC

Excellence Auto Gallery
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AeroCleanse
    If you want a larger one, this place has them: Car Canopy, Canopy Carport

The $299 tent available locally is a comparable to some of the tents at the site you linked to and I would not have to pay shipping. I do think the 10x10 may be too small though...

This is the one I`m looking at

DS Frame - Canopy

Post Thanks / Like
    I assume you`re looking for a "tent" that you can pack up and move around and be mobile with, so I`m not sure how large you can get away with. The bigger the better, it gives you more working space and will accomodate larger vehicles better. I have a tent, it`s 16` x 20`x, but it`s a sationary one of course, and even that`s a bit of a tight squeeze, IMO. Check out Give Me Shelter | Portable garage, Portable Shelters for all your needs offering dome, greenhouse, utility shelters and other portable storage solutions, they might have something you could use.
    ... Because your vehicle deserves it too

Post Thanks / Like
    As already stated 10x10 is tooooo small. Get 2 12x12`s.

Excellence Auto Gallery
    Post Thanks / Like
    So the consensus is that 10x10 is too small. 12x12 or 10x15 it is I guess. Does anyone use a 10x15 that can be set up by one person fairly quickly?

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve been looking at the EZ-UP brand 12x14 at K-Mart for $119.99 . Been told that the ones sold thru K-Mart might not be of the same quality as the ones from the EZ-up stores or web site offers. Had a 10x10 but wasn`t happy with the smaller size . I think the 12ft width would help keep the legs away from the paint surface and allow you to work without being in the way.

Post Thanks / Like
    i have 12x12 from pep boys , with cupons or sale is under 100$ , does good, i do half car at a time , but works.

an 10x20 will be better.
    ProReflection
    Detail Luxury and Exotics in Austin area

Ceramic Coating * Protection Film * Car Wrap * Paint Correction

Post Thanks / Like
    I use a 10` x 10` pop up canopy... It`s a little tight to work with and like cosmin I too do half a car at a time.
    Paint Correction and Protection is our game!

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a 12x12 from Costco that works ok. 2 of them would work better though so I wouldn`t have to do half the car then move it to do the other half. The wind has broken a couple of them though. Make sure you have something holding it down so the win ddoes not pick it up.

Post Thanks / Like
    A 10x0 is fine if you want to keep moving the vehicle or the canopy. I just purchased a 10x15 from pepboys on sale for $149 and its great , Ive been detailing for 25 years and have had the expensive easy up canopies however they are quite heavy. Just keep in mind if you opt for the pepboys canopy the canopy material is not as heavy as the more expensive ones but it gets the job done and saves a nice bit of change
    FRANK

FRANKIE K`S AUTO KLEEN

Excellence Auto Gallery
    Post Thanks / Like
    ^^^Can the 10x15 from pepboys be set up by one person? This is my main concern...I will gladly spend the extra money on a tent that can be set up and taken easily by myself, but if a cheaper tent can be set up/taken down just as easily I will obviously go that route.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am 53 years old and I can set it up and take it down by my self its a little work and takes about 3 min.
    FRANK

FRANKIE K`S AUTO KLEEN

Excellence Auto Gallery
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by karwaxer
    I am 53 years old and I can set it up and take it down by my self its a little work and takes about 3 min.

Sounds easy enough...do you happen to know the make/model of the tent you got? I live in Canada and the nearest pepboys is a couple hours away. I may be able to find the same tent at store closer to home if I know what to look for. Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information