Post Thanks / Like
    So I have a client who just bought a heavily modded Black Lexus IS300 as his daily driver. He wants a complete detailing package from me (interior and exterior). The only problem is that I`ve never worked on such a heavily modded car. I`ve done plenty of slightly modded BMW 3 series, but nothing to this caliber. Thats where I am lost on pricing. Hes told me the exterior only has minor imperfections in the paint (show car/track car) and the interior is gutted. Exterior has CF panels on it and the interior is gutted with racing bits in it. Pretty much, this piece of art is a gutted show car to the extreme.

What exactly should I charge for this? I was asked 2 prices, exterior correction and interior clean up. I will have it for a minimum of 3 days. I plan to spend one day doing the interior/engine bay and two days on the exterior. It might be overkill but I want to do an amazing job as this is what I want my future IS to be like in the future...

LINK (to car/mods/pics of whatever he could give me so far)

I hope you guys can help me because I am very lost on pricing for a vehicle modded to this caliber :nixweiss

Post Thanks / Like
    I think the question to be answered is more about the caliber of detail (ie expectations) of the owner. In other words, does he just want it restored to "like new" as a form of up-keep? Or is there a serious show that car will be in that requires it to be immaculate?

Either way, pricing should probably range from $3/400 to $1,000+ if you really put 3 days into it.

Post Thanks / Like
    yes, what does he want and what are you able to deliver?

i guess i would price it by the hours spending on the car. now depends on what you can price Your working hour.

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with the others, I don`t see how modifications place any part in the pricing??

If the car is tracked regularly you could be looking at serious tire rubber slung all over the side and wheel wells which will be difficult to clean.

If he`s wanting show car standards then you will just have to see how long it takes you and charge accordingly. Sometimes to prep a car to the highest standards can easily take 30+ hours.

If you`ll spend 3 days on it, that`s easily 15-25 hours so you should charge accordingly. Don`t sell yourself short, if you charge $40 per hour then price it around $800-$1000 and if it ends up not taking you as long then he won`t have to pay as much as you origionally thought and he`ll be happy.

Josh
    Perfection Is In The Details

Rated one of the Top Nine Auto Detailers in the US by AutoWeek Magazine! :buffing:

Post Thanks / Like
    Yup, just another detail, mods or not! Just charge him $40 an hour and call it a day.

Post Thanks / Like
    i`ll never understand why people put racing harnesses in an UN-caged car. a normal shoulder belt will benefit you more in a ROLLOVER, which is the risk in racing a car.

maybe its just my offroad background, but if you rollover without a cage, the harness will keep you upright, not allowing you to lean over and your head will be crushed. there is a reason harnesses are not used in everyday production cars, even if they are safer when used in the right application

Post Thanks / Like
    oh, and just charge the same rate...whether its a lambo or a corolla, your hourly rate doesnt change, just the amount of work and the amount of supplies used.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hes looking to return it back to 100% and thats what I plan on doing for him. I was just worried about the extra nooks and crannies that I`ll have to deal with in the interior thats all. I guess from what you guys say it should be a standard detail

Thanks everyone!

Post Thanks / Like
    Good luck, let us know how it turns out!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hmm, so I said $300 for exterior correction for 1 day`s worth of work and $60 for interior. He expected me to do everything for $200 :cooleek:. Told me he could find someone to do all that for $125 :hm. Definitely not in my book. If he can find someone else its ok by me. People pay me for quality, not a rush job :angry

At least I know there will be others. Sort of sad that I didn`t work on my favorite car though :bawling:

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by eyezack87
    Hmm, so I said $300 for exterior correction for 1 day`s worth of work and $60 for interior. He expected me to do everything for $200 :cooleek:. Told me he could find someone to do all that for $125 :hm. Definitely not in my book. If he can find someone else its ok by me. People pay me for quality, not a rush job :angry

At least I know there will be others. Sort of sad that I didn`t work on my favorite car though :bawling:

There will be plenty more. At least you didn`t compromise your standards. :2thumbs:
    Perfection Is In The Details

Rated one of the Top Nine Auto Detailers in the US by AutoWeek Magazine! :buffing:

Post Thanks / Like
    Good luck to him. Offer him a "free inspection" after his $125 "detail" to show him the defects left in the paint (and dust on the dash and in the vents, wax in the crevices, stained trim, etc.).

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by eyezack87

LoL, don`t worry, he`ll be back. :lol
    Devil Pad

Professional Automotive Detailing

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by backwoods_lex
    Good luck to him. Offer him a "free inspection" after his $125 "detail" to show him the defects left in the paint (and dust on the dash and in the vents, wax in the crevices, stained trim, etc.).
    +2 to that. Though for some odd reason I think he blocked me on AIM because he knew I was right :grinno:

Quote Originally Posted by Denzil
    LoL, don`t worry, he`ll be back. :lol
    I`ll have to control my "I told you so" statement that I`m so great at giving to people :chuckle:

Post Thanks / Like
    He deserves whatever he gets

Thread Information