Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve found that most everyone who calls me wants a wash and wax at most. Usually I`ll wash the car, vacuum and wipe down the interior, clean glass, and dress tires and wells and be on my way. Now, it`s fine by me if I have strictly washes for jobs, as long as I am not put at a disadvantage being compared with the "down the street" car washes. I do an occasional full detail, but for the most part my clients consider me as an upscale car wash guy. I`m cool with this, as I enjoy making a car look outstanding within the parameters of a simple car wash. The customer is always amazed how good the car looks with just having me wash it. I do wish I could whip out the polishes and rotary a little more often though, and it is understandable that some first-time customers could be skeptical of letting a teenager take a polisher to their paint. I do my best to show them that the quality of my work can justify my work with paint. Usually, those who want a polish come around to trusting me. :think:

So, which service of yours do you find yourself doing most of the time? How do you like it, and do you wish you`d have more requests for other services of yours?
    2004 Silver Dodge Ram QuadCab
    Yeah, it`s got a Hemi.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nobody around my parts even knows that "polishes" exist. They all want a cleaner/wax and a wash job. If I give a wash, I will usually do a quick once-over with a spray wax to give the paint that extra POP, and if they ask for a cleaner/wax, I give them FPII or AIO and some UPP.

I wish I did have some more people that wanted "better"
    Showroom Shine Details

Premium Automotive Detailing

www.ShowroomShineNC.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Honestly, in the area I live in, the "cheap-o" services sell the most. The "Just wash and wax" type of thing. There are so many detailing shops around here that offer the $99 special where they just throw on some filler glaze and call it a day it is hard to compete with that. You can try and educate the customers until you are blue in the face but most of the ones I get for the detailing side of things just want the cheapest possible. I hear this all the time...."How much to detail my car?" ...... "That is a lot! I can go to Joe Smoe Detailing for $99!"

Post Thanks / Like
    I have also noticed this. Even in the county which I live where the average household income is well over $100,000. Actually Loudoun County is one of the richest in the entire country. Anyways it seems that most people simply do not want to pay for an Autopian like detail. I have explained to countless people that simply waxing does not do much for the shine. Many do choose to have polishing done once you explain how a polish enhances shine. I do find that I do a lot of washes and washes and vacuums compared to full details though.
    Brad Will- Owner

Reflections Auto Salon LLC

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by brwill2005
    I have also noticed this. Even in the county which I live where the average household income is well over $100,000. Actually Loudoun County is one of the richest in the entire country. Anyways it seems that most people simply do not want to pay for an Autopian like detail. I have explained to countless people that simply waxing does not do much for the shine. Many do choose to have polishing done once you explain how a polish enhances shine. I do find that I do a lot of washes and washes and vacuums compared to full details though.
    Yep, usually mine consist of a quick vacuum, if they even want interior, and an all in one type product for the exterior.

Post Thanks / Like
    I sell full details more than anything.
    Magic Touch Auto Detailing - Owner

Post Thanks / Like
    I get a lot of people calling me wanting a "full detail" for 75 bucks....its hard to keep from laughing, but the 5 hours to detail at minimum is not worth 75 bucks, more like 150+...

I try to tell people a wax job is not a detail, and cleaning carpets is not part of my wash and wax job...I try to explain to most that polishing brings out the shine and waxing provides the protection, that there is no shining properties in the waxes that I use....unless its a all in one type cleaner/polish/wax, but you wouldnt use that on a full detail job...i try to tell people that it takes time to do it right and that there are like 6 different products on the 6 different steps I take to make their car look good, and that is the reason I need to charge what I charge (not even that much compared to most because I am just starting out)

That'll buff right out! jimmybuffit's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Complete Details. Sedan $200, SUV/Van $250...

Sure, we do interioror or exterior only, but we do very few simple washes. Hard to fit them in...

We have a shop, in a very upscale area. Looking forward to a VERY busy season!

In fact, we are planning to double our space quite soon. Pics to follow...

Jim
    "If it was easy, everybody`d be doing it."
    www.jimmybuffit.com

Post Thanks / Like
    I guess everyone is in the same boat is me because it`s just so danged hard to educate and sell people on the whole multistep polishing and proper detailing methods.

Jimmy, I wish you luck on your expansion! I bet having a fixed location in an area like yours helps to bring the full detail customers in.

Thanks for sharing everyone.
    2004 Silver Dodge Ram QuadCab
    Yeah, it`s got a Hemi.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by toyotaguy
    I get a lot of people calling me wanting a "full detail" for 75 bucks....its hard to keep from laughing, but the 5 hours to detail at minimum is not worth 75 bucks, more like 150+...

I try to tell people a wax job is not a detail, and cleaning carpets is not part of my wash and wax job...I try to explain to most that polishing brings out the shine and waxing provides the protection, that there is no shining properties in the waxes that I use....unless its a all in one type cleaner/polish/wax, but you wouldnt use that on a full detail job...i try to tell people that it takes time to do it right and that there are like 6 different products on the 6 different steps I take to make their car look good, and that is the reason I need to charge what I charge (not even that much compared to most because I am just starting out)

Just curious as to what waxes you use that have no "shining" properties.....?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Porkanbeans
    I guess everyone is in the same boat as me because it`s just so danged hard to educate and sell people on the whole multistep polishing and proper detailing methods.

You have got it completely backwards.

It should not be about what a customer expects from you. It is about what you think you want to offer your customers. Offer them car washing and you are in the car wash business. Offer to completely, clean, polish and wax their car and you are in the detailing business. It is really that simple. It is all about where you want to be and how you want to position yourself in the marketplace.

Basically, you are out there washing cars because that is your choice. That is the type of customer who you have decided is at the center of your target market. It is not about going out there to educate and sell people on something they don`t want or think they need. It is up to you to figure out the need that you intend to fill and then find people who need and want what you have to offer.

Take a good look at how you view your business. Do you want to be in the car washing business? or in the detailing business? From a marketing standpoint, it is not easy to have it both ways and still attract the type of clientele who is going to pay top dollar for a complete detailing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Porkanbeans
    So, which service of yours do you find yourself doing most of the time? How do you like it, and do you wish you`d have more requests for other services of yours?

I only offer complete detailings. No car washing services.

I like providing upscale detailing services at high end prices. I would never think of positioning my business in the same category as a car wash business.

Post Thanks / Like
    by these "all in one" products, are you talking about Klasse? Are there others?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mirrorfinishman
    I only offer complete detailings. No car washing services.

I like providing upscale detailing services at high end prices. I would never think of positioning my business in the same category as a car wash business.

ditto...

try advertising in the "better" neighborhoods.... me... i travel 2-3 miles and go through the $500,000 houses and Up.. which each have at least 2-3 cars... being the family car, the suv, and the toy... a benz-bmw-ferrari...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by thecarguy
    by these "all in one" products, are you talking about Klasse? Are there others?

when you see AIO around here most times it refers to Klasse.

However there are othe All in One products which are out there. For example one that I use often is Megs ColorX.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information