Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flex vs Rupes?

Post Thanks / Like

Flex vs Rupes?

I am in the market for a new polisher and have been leaning towards the Flex 3401 but have recently seen people talking about the Rupes Bigfoot. I haven`t found anything on here about the Rupes unless I missed something. What are the advantages/disadvantages of each compared to one another
    ?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Flex vs Rupes?

Used the Rupes here: http://www.autopiaforums.com/forums/...ets-rupes.html

And the Flex here: http://www.autopiaforums.com/forums/...aguar-xfr.html

And if you look deep in my avatar`s eyes, you might guess my preference.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjlinane View Post

Your post on that is what made me start looking at the Rupes. The price range on both is similar so I`m kind of undecided on what I want now.

Post Thanks / Like

Bump, I`d definitely like to learn more about the comparison of these two. I currently have the G110 v2 and while it`s great for finishing it seems like the cut leaves something to be desired, even with the smaller 5" pads. I`m wanting to do more "production" detailing using a nice finishing AIO like meg100 and think either of these two would be my tool of choice. There`s a great video of the Rupes in action in the meg100 thread, not sure how to repost it here.

Garry has a great review: 2001 Porsche Boxter 2 step paint correction Meguiars M100 D300 Garry Dean Wash Method Detailing Tampa, FL high end Rupes microfiber Infinite Use Detail Juice eco car wash waterless rinseless HD Polish - YouTube

I`ll be buying some in the relatively near future.
    Last edited by Custom Care; 01-22-2013 at 11:36 PM. Reason: Added video

Post Thanks / Like

Here is a video of the Rupes in action:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YeCTwW76QXI

Paul Dalton (Miracle Detail) has some great videos on Youtube, too.

I think I have posted elsewhere that both are quality machines. If your background is DA and, especially if you like MF pads, Rupes may be the machine for you. If rotary is your thing, then maybe the Flex.

Sometime in the near future, I am planning on conducting a shootout between them. I will just need to use the Flex first. Because, if you get Rupes, it is hard to go back.

Post Thanks / Like

There is quite a bit of info about the Rupes on another website from the man who first brought them to the US--Kevin Brown. Including technical explanations on why the large orbit is so benificial.

From what I`ve read everyone who has purchased one is extremely happy with the performance of the Rupes and many pros are saying it will be their go to tool. It seems the only unanswered question is long term reliability.

Post Thanks / Like

Very simple, after 13 years in the high end detailing business , this is the best thing I have purchased. It just makes the products work better.
    You will see them soon available here and ag, I am sure.

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like I am going to have some more reading to do!

Post Thanks / Like

I`ve got a question that may play into the whole decision making process. How about pad sizes and compatibility? I`m assuming most people are using the larger LHR21ES which if my conversions are correct is set up for a 6" pad. Please correct me if I`m wrong. Can you only use their pads or will all hook and loop pads work? Also what about changing backing plates and pad sizes? Just had a couple questions while researching and figured this would be the best place to get answers. And on a side note, that little small pneumatic polisher looks legit!

Also, here`s a video I found informative. I believe they compare it to a PC, so I don`t know if it`s the best comparison but good info either way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQnddU1nuQc
    Last edited by Custom Care; 01-23-2013 at 11:35 PM. Reason: added video link

Post Thanks / Like

No one has more experience and knowledge of the Rupes than Kevin Brown. You can post your question on the website where he is a partial sponsor and he will respond or you can even email him and he will respond.

Post Thanks / Like

The stock BP that comes with the 21 fits 6" pads. The BP for the 15 fits 5" pads and does fit on the 21. It is available from Kevin.

Post Thanks / Like

I think no matter what forum you`re on - Kevin Brown is VERY respected and a leader in all things related to detailing. Now, I`m an old guy with a short attention span, I get kinda lost reading all the stuff Kevin writes, it`s like - hey man, I`ll take your word for it! But, if you want to know how a watch works and not just what time it is - then I`d suggest reading his articles, they`re just above my head!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lou Bunn View Post
    I think no matter what forum you`re on - Kevin Brown is VERY respected and a leader in all things related to detailing. Now, I`m an old guy with a short attention span, I get kinda lost reading all the stuff Kevin writes, it`s like - hey man, I`ll take your word for it! But, if you want to know how a watch works and not just what time it is - then I`d suggest reading his articles, they`re just above my head!
    Same here, but it`s nice to know someone is out there doing the research!!!

Post Thanks / Like

The stock BP that comes with the 21 fits 6" pads. The BP for the 15 fits 5" pads and does fit on the 21. It is available from Kevin.
    Yup, order from Kevin. The Flex is Forced Orbital, Rupes is RO. Rupes with the right setup of MF Discs/Polishes really is amazing with the 21mm throw (if you get the 21). Flex runs counter clockwise so I dislike it among many other aspects.

Rupes has a huge following now NOT from boutique/DIYers but actual paint correction individuals that are legit. It`s shut down many rotaries. Read more at Kevin Brown`s site buffdaddy. You can get a 21 with the 5inch BP.

Auto Detail & Restoration Concours.John's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Whatever you do when you`re ready speak with Kevin he has great amount of knowledge about polishing with the DA. He was gracious enough to speak with me on several occasions before finally deciding on the Rupes LHR 15. My main reasoning was many of the vehicles I work on have quite a few curves in tight areas. Another thing to keep in mind, you`re still going to need a small orbit polisher for those tighter areas. Still plan on getting the 21 in the near future.

Maximizing technique is going to be the biggest factor in achieving great results with the DA. Kevin has some great articles on the proper use of exact fit backing plates and how they help improve the efficiency. Caution needs to be had because they do go to the edge of the polishing pad so bumping trim could be an issue.

It`s worth reading up. As a long-time user of the rotary, I find myself using it less and less. And much of my work is full corrections.
    One day I`ll get to do my own car.
    Concours.John Facebook

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information