Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Paint correction/detailing question???????

So I just got my car back from the body shop today after several months of waiting long story. I am wondering if I should have it machined polished and detailed now(I live in the frigid north east) to remove some minor imperfections or wait until the spring time when its warmer. The paint is nice, flat and shiny no over spray just some minor random scratches from when it was washed after painting and the engine bay and interior is dusty. I do plan on driving it this winter...
    Thanks guys....

Auto Detail & Restoration Concours.John's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Personally I would wait till winter clears. It can take paint longer to fully cure in the winter than summer heat.
    The wear and tear up here in the north during winter is bound to induce some flaws. This way your only fixing it once.
    In the mean time try using the least aggressive method to clean.
    One day I`ll get to do my own car.
    Concours.John Facebook

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Paint correction/detailing question???????

Quote Originally Posted by Concours.John View Post
    Personally I would wait till winter clears. It can take paint longer to fully cure in the winter than summer heat.
    The wear and tear up here in the north during winter is bound to induce some flaws. This way your only fixing it once.
    In the mean time try using the least aggressive method to clean.

You need to let that paint cure, and that going to take longer in the cold winter. Just wash and dry that baby for now.
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

i`d check with the shop that painted it for their recommendations, as it is them who will have to warrant their paint and repairs.
    IF there are problems that bother you, you can do a polish, but i`m sure the shop will recommend waiting to seal or wax unless they are a state of the art shop. Again their opinion counts the most right now. After you talk to them let us know and we can help you from there

ps you are about an hour away if you need any hands on advice
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com

Post Thanks / Like

yes yet another CT er

I`d wait...

Post Thanks / Like

Well guys I must say I am really impressed with all the positive responses I have received so far instead of the usual smart ass remarks you get on most sites as a rookie or newbie on a site from what I call online gangsters. It`s truly a breath of fresh air to get competent responses from a group of mature individuals that share a common passion. I am by no means a pro but I have always kept my cars clean and minty fresh guess it goes back to my up bringing cleanliness is next to godliness my mom always said lol. The car was painted a month ago and its the worst and best color there is black so you guys can understand why I want to make it perfect so badly, should have told them not to wash it damn it. So it looks like for now I will just wash, wax, and seal it for the winter unless my painter says its ok to do some paint correction. I just hate seeing defects in my black paint. Steve I appreciate the offer and I will definitely take you up on that nothing like some hands on experience in my opinion.I have a porter cable,Hf buffer and dewalt buffer as well as some mothers, meguiar`s, optimum, P21s among other things well a lot more lol pro detailing supplies I have gathered over time. Thanks again guys and I must say I am looking forward to learning and absorbing as much knowledge as humanly possible with the help of everyone here I love this site already truly remarkable just a part of my mother`s collection lol...

Dunstan.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Blown1; 01-06-2011 at 02:42 PM. Reason: fix

Post Thanks / Like

So it looks like for now I will just wash wax and seal it for the winter unless the my painter says its ok to do some paint correction I just hate seeing defects in my black paint.
    The shop might even advise against waxing it for 90 days or longer. Speak with them prior to doing anything other than washing.

Post Thanks / Like

Just got off the phone with my painter and he said I can have it detailed after another two weeks they do have a state of the art shop million dollar paint booth he said but i will take the advise of you guys here and wait lol even though I know he will take care of any issues I have he is a great guy but you never know lol.

Post Thanks / Like

Most paints, especially PPG & Dupont brands, are safe to buff within just a few hours of paint completion. 30 days is still the norm just for the body shop to cya, however it never seems to cross anyones mind that that 30 days also is the normal warranty for a "re-do" type situation should there be any discrepancies with the work. 30 days is the customer`s window to bring it back if it doesn`t match, blemishes etc.

I`ve worked with body shops enough to know that this is ultimately the case and paints used these days have a cure time of just a few hours which is about how long they bake.

Post Thanks / Like

Completely agree with you there he is a certified ppg shop by the way and thats exactly what he told me about the paint curing. As far as warranty I have no problem with this guy he painted the car almost 2 years ago and took care of me after all this time he didnt even need to repaint the whole car but he did anyway. For what I paid him barely covered parts and materials new hood, fender and windshield as well as a big dent in passenger door and minor stuff here and there. If I have a problem he will take care of it for me the reason I go back to him time and time again after all he is a friend of a friend so no problems there

Quote Originally Posted by ShadeTreeDetail View Post
    Most paints, especially PPG & Dupont brands, are safe to buff within just a few hours of paint completion. 30 days is still the norm just for the body shop to cya, however it never seems to cross anyones mind that that 30 days also is the normal warranty for a "re-do" type situation should there be any discrepancies with the work. 30 days is the customer`s window to bring it back if it doesn`t match, blemishes etc.

I`ve worked with body shops enough to know that this is ultimately the case and paints used these days have a cure time of just a few hours which is about how long they bake.

Post Thanks / Like

when i had my door repainted i told the body donot wash the truck for me after ur done.. and it was funny they thought i was crazy. but before the branch hit my door i polished the entire truck. and wasnt about to fix a bad wash job lol.. ug .

Post Thanks / Like

Yea I tried they never listen lol.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Blown1 View Post
    Just got off the phone with my painter and he said I can have it detailed after another two weeks they do have a state of the art shop million dollar paint booth he said but i will take the advise of you guys here and wait lol even though I know he will take care of any issues I have he is a great guy but you never know lol.

good idea ... better safe than sorry

Post Thanks / Like

Ok thanks Steve just pm me when you are ready lol I want to make my baby flawless lol.....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Blown1 View Post
    Ok thanks Steve just pm me when you are ready lol I want to make my baby flawless lol.....
    any time you think your paint is ready but as soon as you drive it away , it won`t be flawless anymore

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information