Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Requesting a little Laptop Help

For the past 3 days I`ve been unable to reach this site using my Home WiFi connection. I can access my neighbors WiFi set up and using that connection reach AutopiaForums with no problem. I`ve made no changes of which I`m aware to my own setup. I`ve also turned Virus Protection and Firewall off with no luck. I can reach all other sites that I use without problem. It`s only AF that I have an issue with.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

The error message I get is:

The connection has timed out

The server at Autopia Forums - Auto Detailing & Car Discussion Forum is taking too long to respond.

The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few
    moments.
    If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer`s network
    connection.
    If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure
    that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Requesting a little Laptop Help

Try deleting your browser cache, and flush your DNS. I would run a virus scan just to be sure also.

Post Thanks / Like

I had a similar problem and couldn`t find any solution. Then after about a week it was back to normal. To this day I still don`t know what was going on.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RZJZA80 View Post
    Try deleting your browser cache, and flush your DNS. I would run a virus scan just to be sure also.
    May I ask how one flushes their DNS?
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post Thanks / Like

Cleared the cache and found the instructions to flush the DNS which I successfully did. Still no change. I`ve also hooked this laptop directly to the router so that no WiFi was involved and got the same result. I think the Forum has decided to collectively hide from me.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post Thanks / Like

Can you ping the forum to check on a connection?

It could be an IP address issue. I think some sites sometimes block ip addresses thinking they are spam. If I recall I had this issue with a forum. I had posted some rather large post several times (was correcting errors so repeated saves) and my ip address got marked as spaman so I could not access like you get.

I ended up having to get a new IP. I had to contact Time Warner and told me to leave my cable modem disconnected more than 6 hrs and it would release my IP address so when you turned it back on it would be assigned a different one. Once I did this, it started working. I could get access from work and elsewhere without issues. My router was always on and connected so never got a new IP.

Al
    The Need to Bead

Post Thanks / Like

Far fetched but, are you using McAfee Virus scan?

With my firm I have seen this same issue and its a port on the virus scan that does this with various routers. I can do a little research and find out if there is a fix.
    2014 Acura TL SH-AWD Tech
    2014 Acura MDX

Post Thanks / Like

I probably should have mentioned that the neighbors WiFi that I can access (it`s my parents) is the same service provider as the one I use.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bunky View Post
    Can you ping the forum to check on a connection?

It could be an IP address issue. I think some sites sometimes block ip addresses thinking they are spam. If I recall I had this issue with a forum. I had posted some rather post several times (was correcting errors) and my ip address had been marked so I could not access like you get.

I ended up having to get a new IP. I had to contact Time Warner and told me to leave my cable modem disconnected more than 6 hrs and it would release my IP address so when you turned it back on it would be assigned a different one. Once I did this, it started working. I could get access from work and elsewhere without issues. My router was always on and connected so never got a new IP.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dd1101 View Post
    Far fetched but, are you using McAfee Virus scan?

With my firm I have seen this same issue and its a port on the virus scan that does this with various routers. I can do a little research and find out if there is a fix.
    Thanks, I`m using AVG and have tried to resolve the issue with AVG and my firewall turned off, no luck.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post Thanks / Like

Connect directly to the modem if possible, don`t go through the router at all, and see if that does anything, otherwise, unplug the router for 30 or so minutes, also, the same command you did the dns flush, type release, and then renew, see if that helps

Post Thanks / Like

Connect directly to the modem if possible, don`t go through the router at all, and see if that does anything, otherwise, unplug the router for 30 or so minutes, also, the same command you did the dns flush, type release, and then renew, see if that helps
    Thanks for the insight. My modem is one of those that has a 4 port router built in. I went directly to this device as opposed to the router that distributes to the rest of my house. I`ll try the release and renew commands, does that mean I use the same text up until I get to where I had typed dns flush? Also do I do this once I`ve unplugged the modem or before I begin that task?

I`ve also got Todd checking to see if somehow my IP has been blacklisted.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post Thanks / Like

I agree, hook it directly to the modem and if you are able to get on from it then you need to change the settings on the router.

Look up the model number and router you have on google and find out it`s address. (it`s going to be a number, mine is 192.168.1.1 with Linksys), then type it in the internet bar (the exact same place you type in your web addresses) and from there you will be able to mess with the settings on the router. If you don`t know the password or user name, hold the reset button for 30 seconds to reset, if you own a linksys the password should already be `Admin`.
    Get your shine on!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GearHead_1 View Post
    C I think the Forum has decided to collectively hide from me.
    maybe if you loosened up on the rules we would let you back in.

JK

Post Thanks / Like

At this point I would blame Todd.

It sounds like a IP issue, call your provider and have them get you a new IP address.
    2014 Acura TL SH-AWD Tech
    2014 Acura MDX

Post Thanks / Like

Yes the command at the command prompt is ipconfig/release then ipconfig/renew

Post Thanks / Like

Yes the command at the command prompt is ipconfig/release then ipconfig/renew
    Unless Todd did something on his end. This worked, I gave it an hour, entered these commands and I can get there as we speak. Thank you very much, no way I could have done this on my own.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information