Post Thanks / Like

I Detailed...I Detailed...I Detailed???

I post and read at a lot of other car forums, in all those I always poke my nose in the detail section...Everyone of them has people talking about
    "I detailed my ride this weekend"...you see the pics and there is no tire dressing, wells are dirty, in some cases evidence of wax in the trim, etc...I could go on!

My point in this thread is the term "detailed" its used very loosely it seems...HECK if some of these people came by while I was detailing they would fall over with the attention I pay to the details of cleaning and restoration.

Anywho it kind of irks me a bit when I see the term "detailed" used in such a loose manner, especially when I know what I go threw to make every possible angal of the car look its best.

It might go back to what people thinking detailing really is..just a good coat of wax and some tire dressing and your good to go....don`t think so.

Thoughts on this?
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like

Re: I Detailed...I Detailed...I Detailed???

Beemerboy,

I agree.

I personally love post of brand new 2008 Ferrari`s, Porsche, and Corvettes with 100+ photos from every conceivable angle.

How bad did that car need a detail after 1000 miles?

I admit I am guilty of taking some great pics of some newer cars after a detail, just because the car really "popped". I guess these threads do become a bit redundant after a while. I really hate seeing threads of interior pics of a new car that was just vacuumed.

Also, I am sure you get a kick out of XYZ wax on a 08 Vette. I could put a coat of the cheapest wax around on a new cars finish and it will look wet and reflective.

That being said I have seen some amazing transformations on other boards, and I always tip my hat with a compliment when warranted.
    No buff to tuff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Clean Dean View Post
    Beemerboy,

I agree.

I personally love post of brand new 2008 Ferrari`s, Porsche, and Corvettes with 100+ photos from every conceivable angle.

How bad did that car need a detail after 1000 miles?

I admit I am guilty of taking some great pics of some newer cars after a detail, just because the car really "popped". I guess these threads do become a bit redundant after a while. I really hate seeing threads of interior pics of a new car that was just vacuumed.

Also, I am sure you get a kick out of XYZ wax on a 08 Vette. I could put a coat of the cheapest wax around on a new cars finish and it will look wet and reflective.

That being said I have seen some amazing transformations on other boards, and I always tip my hat with a compliment when warranted.
    CD one thing about you is even if the new cars that you post would look great with just a wash and some QD...you get the term "detailed" I`ve seen your transformation work, when you post those pics I like it...plus some of the exotics that you get to work on are cool to look at and I`m sure the other members like it as well...as for do they require much work no, but then they also pay the same as the rolling cafeterias

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like

I appreciate the difference between you and CD`s detail and mine.... or for that matter CharlesW`s or NorahCRV. I have seen the last two in person and am humbled when my truck was beside them. I am sure it would be the same for yours, Beemerboy.

With that said, I am appreciative of anyone`s attempt at becoming an accomplished detailer. My attempt may not be so meticulous as yours but I hold the pleasure for the effort as being even.
    cwcad

DO WHAT YOU SAY.....SAY WHAT YOU DO!!!!
    www.ldkbox.com a blog about life`s details

Post Thanks / Like

cwcad,

Whats great about these forums is the amount of "hints, tricks` and techniques" you won`t find in most auto detailing books or DVDs.

When I first started detailing, I learned hands on, and I am sure that my efficiency and service has improved through hands on detailing and through learning ideas and techniques from others on forums like Detailcity.

Believe me the more you detail the better you will get at it. I burned/grinded through many edges when I first picked up the rotary, and I am sure that I missed a few interior nooks and crannies when I first started out.

I am sure that you are like most, and are your own worst critic. Keep those pics coming !!!
    No buff to tuff

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

It`s all a matter of perception, some people are thrilled to see their paint after going to a school charity car wash and then others will stand behind you and show you every smudge even when you haven`t finished a Professional detail ...
    Personally I don`t care to see pictures of new cars detailed unless it is your own and you just want to share your new ride...if a new car doesn`t shine with just a wash and QD then return it to the dealer
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Poorboy View Post
    .if a new car doesn`t shine with just a wash and QD then return it to the dealer
    Or you can donate it to me!

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=Clean Dean;235215]
    Whats great about these forums is the amount of "hints, tricks` and techniques" you won`t find in most auto detailing books or DVDs.

When I first started detailing, I learned hands on, and I am sure that my efficiency and service has improved through hands on detailing and through learning ideas and techniques from others on forums like Detailcity.

Believe me the more you detail the better you will get at it. I burned/grinded through many edges when I first picked up the rotary, and I am sure that I missed a few interior nooks and crannies when I first started out.
    I couldn`t agree more Clean Dean. I have learned a lot from hands job experience, But I have learned even more from post from the pros of detailcity such as yourself, Beemerboy, Steve Poorboy, Troy, and many many others. The rich info that you guy`s post leaves me and is better than going to a 4 day seminar. I haven`t been apart of this form all that long. However I would like to thank all you guy`s that take the time, and are willing to help aspiring detailers like myself with the knowledge you have acquired over the many years of blood sweat, tears, and of course detailing!!!
    I do what I do, when I can do it...

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=tmacsad;235227]
    Quote Originally Posted by Clean Dean View Post

I couldn`t agree more Clean Dean. I have learned a lot from hands job experience, But I have learned even more from post from the pros of detailcity such as yourself, Beemerboy, Steve Poorboy, Troy, and many many others. The rich info that you guy`s post leaves me and is better than going to a 4 day seminar. I haven`t been apart of this form all that long. However I would like to thank all you guy`s that take the time, and are willing to help aspiring detailers like myself with the knowledge you have acquired over the many years of blood sweat, tears, and of course detailing!!!
    Your welcome, I like the part about blood, sweat and tears...that`s when I burn threw the finish!

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=Beemerboy;235228]
    Quote Originally Posted by tmacsad View Post
    ...that`s when I burn threw the finish!
    I have not experienced that nor do I think I want to. I bet its something that makes you really want to

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=tmacsad;235278]
    Quote Originally Posted by Beemerboy View Post

I have not experienced that nor do I think I want to. I bet its something that makes you really want to
    Well the good part if there is one, it was back in the days of single stage paint...it was easier to do...wool pads, rotary buffers and compounds was what we all worked with...a combo for burning the paint if you were not carful

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=Beemerboy;235291]
    Quote Originally Posted by tmacsad View Post
    it was back in the days
    Means your ol school. That makes you Mr. Miyagi and me Daniel-son. Teach me sensei!! lol

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=tmacsad;235293]
    Quote Originally Posted by Beemerboy View Post

Means your ol school. That makes you Mr. Miyagi and me Daniel-son. Teach me sensei!! lol
    Be patience grasshopper

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Thread Information