Post Thanks / Like

Angry Flaking bumper paint

Just wanted some of your guys opinions since I am not extremely knowledgeable about paint.

My wife`s car was hit about 2-1/2 years ago and the bumper had to be repainted. This past winter, during a bad snow storm, she had to go through a small snow bank (that the plow created) to get into the driveway. The paint on the corner of the bumper just completely flaked off. Now, I had noticed that it was starting to spider web earllier in the winter, but was waiting until the spring to do something since we are planning on getting rid of the car anyway.

Now, I don`t think the paint should flake off so easily (especially all the way down to the bumper plastic!!), so I told her to go to the body shop that did the work and try and get it fixed under warranty. They told her that because it is plastic and flexs, if you even tap a curb it will flake, and they would not repair it under a warranty. I thought the purpose of adding a flex agent to the bumper paint was so it would flex with the bumper? Any thoughts on how I get this fixed under warranty? I have scraped a curb with my car and the paint hasn`t flaked off, just scratched (which I understand would not be fixed under any warranty). But this is a large area that has flaked, about 2-3 inches high and 10-12 inches long at the corner of the bumper. Sounds like they did poor prep, didn`t add a flex agent, or something.

Thanks,
    Neil

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Flaking bumper paint

Quote Originally Posted by rockford33 View Post
    Sounds like they did poor prep, didn`t add a flex agent, or something.

Thanks,
    Neil
    That is what I was going to say. I would think that it is pretty safe to say that the body shop did something wrong. It could be a big thing like no flex agent or a few little things like poor prep or even used too much paint. In the body shops defense though, the bumper being cold didn`t help the situation... the bumper and paint get pretty brittle when they are cold. Since it was repainted 2 1/2 years ago, I`m not sure that you`ll get the warranty work... If it was less then a year, maybe. There`s a site out there that sells factory colored paint in rattle cans and that may be your best bet to go, to touch it up before you get rid of it.
    "Whether you think you can or think you can`t - you are right " -Henry Ford

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rockford33 View Post
    Just wanted some of your guys opinions since I am not extremely knowledgeable about paint.

My wife`s car was hit about 2-1/2 years ago and the bumper had to be repainted. This past winter, during a bad snow storm, she had to go through a small snow bank (that the plow created) to get into the driveway. The paint on the corner of the bumper just completely flaked off. Now, I had noticed that it was starting to spider web earllier in the winter, but was waiting until the spring to do something since we are planning on getting rid of the car anyway.

Now, I don`t think the paint should flake off so easily (especially all the way down to the bumper plastic!!), so I told her to go to the body shop that did the work and try and get it fixed under warranty. They told her that because it is plastic and flexs, if you even tap a curb it will flake, and they would not repair it under a warranty. I thought the purpose of adding a flex agent to the bumper paint was so it would flex with the bumper? Any thoughts on how I get this fixed under warranty? I have scraped a curb with my car and the paint hasn`t flaked off, just scratched (which I understand would not be fixed under any warranty). But this is a large area that has flaked, about 2-3 inches high and 10-12 inches long at the corner of the bumper. Sounds like they did poor prep, didn`t add a flex agent, or something.

Thanks,
    Neil

Neil
    This sounds like they used a paint that doesn`t have a flex agent in it....I don`t know if that`s a certain kind of paint or something that you add to paint...either way this sounds like they used the wrong paint....I recall the first plastic bumpers, looked great until you hit something and then they looked just as you described...as to what can be done..its really in the hands of the shop that did the work...you could call the better business bureau if you feel that it was their fault and are not owning up
    to it....I wish you luck
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by budman3 View Post
    That is what I was going to say. I would think that it is pretty safe to say that the body shop did something wrong. It could be a big thing like no flex agent or a few little things like poor prep or even used too much paint. In the body shops defense though, the bumper being cold didn`t help the situation... the bumper and paint get pretty brittle when they are cold. Since it was repainted 2 1/2 years ago, I`m not sure that you`ll get the warranty work... If it was less then a year, maybe. There`s a site out there that sells factory colored paint in rattle cans and that may be your best bet to go, to touch it up before you get rid of it.
    According to their paperwork, they warranty the repair as long as you own your car. I did call them and they said they need to see the car, so I am sending my wife out next Tuesday to the place. Unfortunately, I can`t go during the week (and they are closed on the weekends), but hopefully if they know I am getting involved, they won`t give the wife the run-around.

To add a little history, the place that told my wife that scraping the curb would flake the paint was NOT the place that originally did the work. Long story short, she went to the dealership to get the car fixed originally. They sent it out to another body shop (the lpace she was told to go to the other day), who in turn sent it to another body shop that actually did the work. So I got the paperwork and called the shop that did the work (since no matter what I doubt the other body shop would honor any warranty for work done elsewhere) and they want to see the car Tuesday. What a big hassle!! Luckily, none of these places are too far from home and my wife doesn`t work Tuesdays or Thursdays, so as long as the little guy is in a good mood, she can take of things.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, yesterday my wife took the car to the place that originally did the work. As they walked to the car, the guy she had hit something and the warranty was void. When they got to the car, he wiggled the front corner of the bumper where the paint is missing and said that she hit something really hard, the warranty was void, and gave her a quote to fix it.

Now, when I got home from work, I also wiggled the bumper, both corners, and the rear bumper. All of them wiggle, so I don`t think that is clearly indicative of anything being wrong. Also, if she had hit something that hard, I would think that the bumper would be dented, cracked, or something, and it isn`t. There are some curb rash scrapes along the bottom of the bumper, and that is it (the paint is flaking off the front of the bumper, not the bottom).

I sent a complaint to our local Better Business Bureau for warranty issues. The place also states they are I-Car certified, Gold Class, for the past five years, and yet their business doesn`t show in the Gold Class directory on the I-Car website, so I have sent I-Car an email to determine if the shop is actually certified. It is people like this that give auto body/repair/mechanic shops a bad reputation.

-Neil

Post Thanks / Like

Neil

In addition to the paint flaking off....if she had hit something hard or at all...there is a foam backing to those bumpers and that would be dented as well.

I think your action is the right way to go
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like

Well, the saga continues. I received a response from my complaint to the Better Business Bureau. The shop is still contending that scraping some ice is what caused the damage. They even claimed that a lower mounting tab was broken, although I could only find one tab underneath that side of the bumper and it was intact. They did offer a free loaner car though while we pay to repaint the bumper And driving to work today, I see a car with the corner of his bumper completely dented in, and no paint missing!!! This is just ridiculous with this company. I suppose we could go to small claims court, but I don`t think it is worth the hassle over a $156 paint job. I sent a response back to the BBB refusing the company`s offer. I am probably going to end up spraying it myself and hope the auto store`s paint is a good match. Unfortunately, I was looking at it last night and about 1/4 to 1/3 also has some spiderwebbing.

-Neil

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I feel your pain Neil, but repaints just don`t seem to stand up to even light damage compared to factory painting. Last year I was backing out of a parking space after my daughter basketball practice and tapped the rear bumper of a Taurus. I was moving no more than 2-3 mph .. when I got out to look, the paint on his entire bumper was cracked and literally flaked off as I felt it He told me it had been repainted the year before, but it obviously wasn`t done very well not to be able to absorb a slight bump.(btw there was no damage on my Tahoe).
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com

Thread Information