Post Thanks / Like

Picture posting & resizing... A how to

For some of the people that are either new to forums or ones that have just been having problems posting I thought that I would create this little tutorial for them.

First is to get the image down to a size that is friendly for everyone. There are a few ways to do it. If you are comfortable with image editing software then great if not, then there are programs out there that can do it for you. One is from www.xat.com another one is the one that I use which is Easy thumbnails from fookes.com / Easy thumbnail (I like it because it’s free)
    EZ thumbnail is the one that I will be using for my example.

Here is a screen shot of EZ thumbnail when you are looking at your files.

Select the file(s) that you wish to create the thumbnails of the bottom of the screen you will tell it what directory where you want the thumbnails to go.

This screenshot is of the settings tab (located at the top)

This is where you will tell the program how large you wish to make your thumbnail.
    I will use 640x480, 800x600, or 1024x768. You can click original and preview output tabs to see the difference between the image sizes. The file will be renamed so that it doesn’t affect the original. There are other adjustments that you can make but I won’t go into that, you can play with that on your own.

Next you will have to find a place to host your pictures (if you don’t have your own website). Two of the more common ones are www.photobucket.com and www.imageshack.us
    After creating an account at either (or another of your choice) you will need to upload your pics.
    Here is a screenshot for photobucket.

You either create a directory first or happily upload it to the default page. Repeat this process tilt you have all your photos uploaded
    Now that you have it uploaded you will need the information so that you can put it in your post. Clicking on the IMG area will do that. It will highlight all the necessary text.

Then simply right click on it, copy, and paste into your post.

The reason that I did photobucket first, was because you would have to resize your pictures prior to posting.
    Imageshack has a neat feature that will automatically resize the pics for you as you are uploading.

As you will notice it gives you a choice as to what size you want them uploaded as.
    Once again the preferred choices would be between 640x480 to 1024x768. Once again repeat until you have all your photos uploaded
    Now that you have your resized photos uploaded you will need the info to get them onto your post. If you click on “My images” it will take you to a list of your images, once again click on the forums section to highlight it and then right click to copy then paste onto your post.

I hope that this helped a few people with any problem that they may have had with either hosting, posting or resizing.

Now that you have gotten the whole image posting thing down , you can check out this thread that The Chee found on How to take pictures of your car

Happy picture taking and posting.
    So lets see those cars

"J"

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Picture posting & resizing... A how to

Hey, I`ve seen that roll-bar mount. I got to know it really well when I sheared mine off. I guess I should cool it in the turns.
    Rides
    `95 Ford Taurus- White, freshly detailed, holds lots, smokes coolant like a chimney.
    `89 Honda CRX Si- Primer black, fast.

Post Thanks / Like

Great how to. I myself use photobucket and like it pretty simple for loadng images and then posting them in forums and such.

Richard
    1997 Ford F150 4x4 Pacific Green w/HOK Kandy Green Flames
    2006 Mustang GT

Post Thanks / Like

great job on the explanation jay. i use microsoft photo editor which came on my computer. i have windows xp. it works great also.

Post Thanks / Like

Funny I`ve never used the MS photo editor and I have been running XP for close to 3 years. I can also do it in PS or Corel, but EZ thumbnailes can do an entire directory at 1 time. :w00t:

"J"

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the much needed tutorial on how to post a pic. Some of the ones posted need a broadband warning instead of a 56K warning.
    I still don`t believe in grit guards.

Post Thanks / Like

If you have windows XP and need a no frills resizer go to microsoft and down load Image Resizer. And just right click on your pics and the resizer will be in your pop up menu.
    These views on this post are not my own, but rather randomly generated gibberish and in no way should be used to judge my IQ or mental state.

Post Thanks / Like

Does anybody resize their pictures with irfan view? If you do, what size do you usually use? (width/height) Everytime I try to resize, the pictures are coming up to big.

Post Thanks / Like

Resizing depends on where i plan to use them. For putting them up on Photobucket i usuallu go with 1024x680 i have a few other sites that require them to be 800x600
    But those are the two sizes i usally use.

RIchard
    1997 Ford F150 4x4 Pacific Green w/HOK Kandy Green Flames
    2006 Mustang GT

Post Thanks / Like

Some forums have limitations on either picture size or file size.
    I don`t know if people realize that there is a difference.

"J"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jaybs95
    Some forums have limitations on either picture size or file size.
    I don`t know if people realize that there is a difference.

"J"
    Jay what are the limitations at DC?

Post Thanks / Like

From my understanding there are no "official" limitations.
    DC relys on the members to be responsible and respectful of other members to keep things to a size where everyone can enjoy.

"J"

Thread Information