Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    I have been thinking of puting some new lights in the garage for winter and night time work.I have only two small double 60 watt fixtures now and would like to replace them with two 8ft double floresent lights.Has anyone done this or have any comments or suggestions that may help me?Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    8 foot bulbs are expensive and a PIA to store. Maybe double up on some 4 footers instead. Check your circuitry as well since most lights are on wall outlet circuit breakers and if you have too many lights you will trip the breaker when operating that beloved PC and other goodies.

Also you may want some Halogen lights on stands to help see those pesky swirls better and really examine the paint.

Post Thanks / Like
    Good tip Guess about storing the bulbs, never thought of that!! I`m sure that many others will give you advice on this topic. Snake is an electrical contractor, so he may be able to offer a different perspective on this topic as well.
    Jorge
    00 BMW 328CI

Post Thanks / Like
    Also, (although it wont effect you in your location), cold weather and florescent tubes do not go together. Gets to cold out and the lights might not turn on.
    2004 Chrysler T&C Platinum Series - Brilliant Black

2009 Hyundai Sonata - Black

Post Thanks / Like
    Yea, I have 15 4 footers in my garage. They do not want to come on when it is colder out...... I also have 2 60 watt regular bulbs that make it so I can see till the florescent ones warm up my garage is 25X26, It may seem like a little much for lighting but as I have found, you can always turn some off but if you only have 5-6 you will wish you had a few more!

I will have pics asap, I have been working an the garage for a few months now.... almost done
    DEDICATED TO THE PURPOSE BEYOND REASON... Oakley ..

Bill 97 Camaro SS #1422

Post Thanks / Like
    I would also consider a roof mount outlet with extension cord reel with a spring loaded retraction, it can keep the wires out of your way then you work.
    2000 Natural White Toyota Tundra

Rolling on: Weld Typhoons & 33`s

Protected by: Zaino + 303

Interior Audio: Premier

Exterior Audio: Borla Split side cat back.

Post Thanks / Like
    In my "perfect garage" I would have a boatload of fluorescents, not only on the ceiling but on the walls. Sides need light too. Haven`t done that, but I did buy one of those dual-head 1000w Halogen lights on a tripod. Thought I was getting a bargain at about $39 at Orchard Supply, then I saw them on sale at an Ace store for $18.99!!! Now you know how cheaply you MIGHT be able to get them. They do really work though - you just drag them around to the part of the car you`re working on - and they will show everything pretty well.....

Post Thanks / Like
    For the guys that have to put up with cold weather and florescent lights - just in case you do not know there are High Output Ballast available for these lights that can be bought separate and installed which are designed to work in below freezing temperatures - meaning when you flip the switch, the tubes will come on like they do in the warm weather - no 10 minutes of flickering ( if not more) to get full power - if you are the least bit handy and can tell a red wire from a blue - you can install them yourself as a replacement ballast. There are also fixtures which you can buy complete with them it already installed. They are not cheap but if there needs to be light then let there be light. MTS

Post Thanks / Like
    How hot do those halogens run? I remember someone mentioned using them as a heater for winter waxing! I think they put it close to the panel they were doing and it heated it right up!

Just curious...

Post Thanks / Like
    You can buy special flourescent fixtures that have different bulbs and ballasts. They start up instantly and are uneffected by the cold weather. Cost $30 for a 4 foot fixture with bulbs. I have several of those intermixed with the cheap ones.

I didn`t place lights on the side of the walls but have them placed over and beyond the side of the car. The angle of cast light is perfect for detailing. The finished walls really help reflect more light as well. I also have a tripod of halogens but rarely use it.

Excuse the temporary ladders and mess. I am undergoing house painting!
    The Stable
    2017 Audi TTS
    2014 Porsche Carrera S
    2017 Porsche Macan GTS
    1996 Porsche Carrera 4S

Post Thanks / Like
    The audi looks awesome in that pic....very bright silver!

Post Thanks / Like
    I do beleve the shiny floor helps with light reflection too.

What mess? Come to my garage and see a mess!

Maybe this thread should be moved to the garage section?

Post Thanks / Like
    Brad,

I Love your garage. It impresses me everytime I see it. I am sure you put alot of work in it, well done.:up
    Taking my signature to it`s MAXIMUM POTENTIAL

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the compliments!
    The Stable
    2017 Audi TTS
    2014 Porsche Carrera S
    2017 Porsche Macan GTS
    1996 Porsche Carrera 4S

Post Thanks / Like
    Brad B. the mess I can stand but that ladder is way to close to that Jag and that bothers me

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information