Post Thanks / Like

Post "Polishing w/Parkinsons", the new MSPCM

Now that everyone is creating more secret decoder ring inputs via personal experimentation, I thought I`d throw my hat in the ring.

About the title: While some might not find my reference PC, I find it totally PC! (Literal paradoxicality FTMFW)

This shall now be known as the Matt Shaw Porter Cable Method, and all royalites, commissions, and subpoenas must be addressed to the aforementioned namesake.

We all know that polishing with a PC/foam pad, that mainly the ID (inner diameter) of the pad does the majority of the work, hence the need for overlapping passes.

Well in my infinite wisdom (perpetuated by accidentally double dosing my Adderall) I have found a method that, while not completely solving, at least helps in generating greater pad effectiveness, while simultaneously making the process safer.

Basically what I have been trying when it comes to large flat areas is:

When moving the PC with the usual pressure for defect removal, I will "figure 8" the pad face through manipulation of the face angle.

These are very subtle angle changes, and it is also req`d to move the pad at a slightly slower rate across the surface than usual.

It could be compared to the movement of a Bosu Ball whilst trying to maintain balance (without looking like a total ferry, which is an effect Bosu Balls have on even the manliest of men)

Imagine also if you will, Grandpa Yoder in all his 96 year old Parkinsonian grace trying to polish with a PC... (please refrain from "omg my grand pappy has parkinsons that aint funny")

Thus far this technique has garnered me greater correction ability in the same time frame, while making the pad last a bit longer.

Be sure to use a compound with a long-ish working time, and maybe cut down on the size of the area to be polished i.e. 1x1 instead of 1.5x1.5.

This process also makes the correction/danger ratio fall dramatically, because of eliminating EXCESS heat. I know we need heat, but this seems to only eliminate the backing-plate melting excess heat.

I have tried this with 4``,5``,5.5``, and 6`` pads, with the best results coming from the smaller of the pads.

Sorry if this is poorly explained (or just retarded).

I will try to post a video for reference, but my wife`s boyfriend has our camera...

Post Thanks / Like
    your wife`s boyfriend huh? hmm.... sounds like you got bigger problems other than not having your camera
    -Wes

Saving for my Audi S5

Post Thanks / Like
    I don`t know if your method works or not, but that was an entertaining read.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Banacheq View Post
    I don`t know if your method works or not, but that was an entertaining read.

I`m using it right now with Megs UC/Orange 4`` CCS, and it is making the combo a bit more agressive, with the ability to finish down nicer.

My guess is that it breaks down more polish than the standard method, so re-introduction of fresh (read: more abrasive) polish is reduced.

Thread Information