Post Thanks / Like
    when i first started using the PC, i was using CMA pads and their 6 in backing plate ( 6 in pads too ) i recently bought sonus pads and the smaller flexible backing plate. well i was using the flexible backing plate with a yellow CMA pad yesterday and i do not feel like the paint benefited from it. so i wound up changing back to the CMA backing plate to use with the cma pads.

i was also detailing my moms 2000 solara, anyone have any issues with detailing toyota paint ?? i was using IP and there were still swirls left. the paint was not bad, but i guess i was kind of disappointed with the results.

eh,

Post Thanks / Like
    I keep the "flex" plate on the PC I use with 6-6.5" pads. I don`t find it "flexes" much, if any, but the flex plate/6" counterweight combo seems to be the most comfortable for me. Did you feel you had a reason to go back to the larger plate?

I`m not familiar with either the IP or Toyota paints, but I`ve generally found that the only time-efficient way to remove marring with a PC is to use 4" pads. These allow you to put more pressure on the PC without it bogging down/merely "jiggling". And even with the smaller pads, IMO you`re often looking at just making things a lot better, not getting the paint perfect.

Post Thanks / Like
    i had no prior problems with the IP and getting rid of swirls.

i went back to the larger backing plate because i thought it might create some more pressure, just by being more firm

i do not know, maybe it needs another pass with IP or maybe some SSR2.5

Post Thanks / Like
    I do know the Meguiars backing plate is absolutely horrible. The velcro on it actually gets hot enough to warp and then it won`t grip the pads anymore. My Meguiars distributor is researching other backing plates because they are tired of replacing them. I ended up going back to the one I got with my PC I bought through the Autopia store. It is showing some wear, so I thought about trying the one excel detail sells. Anyone use it? Thoughts?

===============

Never any real issues with Toyota paint, usually cleans up nice with one of the SSRs or #80/#83.

You might want to give Optimum polish or the new Detailer`s Pride Super Swirl Eliminator. Both are pretty aggressive but work well the PC and the burgandy Meguiars cutting pad. Optimum doesn`t dust though but DP`s does-but it is a bit more aggressive too.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    I guess depending on how hard the clear is.....I personally have not found IP to be all that aggressive. For serious swirls I step up to the Menzerna Powergloss which will definitely take swirls out. It may be a little aggressive for your use so just be careful with it.

I`ve had great results going Powergloss=>IP=>FPII on stubborn spots.:up
    `02 Trans Am WS6

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Scottwax I do know the Meguiars backing plate is absolutely horrible. The velcro on it actually gets hot enough to warp and then it won`t grip the pads anymore. My Meguiars distributor is researching other backing plates because they are tired of replacing them. I ended up going back to the one I got with my PC I bought through the Autopia store. It is showing some wear, so I thought about trying the one excel detail sells. Anyone use it? Thoughts?
    I bought a 3M 6" backing plate from the local paint distributor and it works quite well for me on my 7336 with the 6" counterweight and LC 6-1/2" pads. Excellent construction.

I`ve found that for me the Porter Cable flexible 5" backing pad and 5" counterweight works best with the Meg`s 6" pads. Less vibration and it has holes built into the plate for heat to escape. I got my PC 5" backing plate and counterweight from Coastal Tool`s web site. Then I found the same Porter Cable backing plate at Home Depot for the same price as on the web. They keep the PC backing plates in the back of the tool section. Lowes had the PC 7336, but no velcro backing plates. Home Depot had the PC brand flexible backing plates, but no PC buffers.

Post Thanks / Like
    When I first got my PC I used the Sonus 5" flex plate with the 5" weight. I`ve just started using the Sonus 6" plate (still with the 5" weight) as I find it gives a much more uniform pressure over the back of the pad. So far I like this setup and will be sticking with it for the forseeable future...

Ben

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Scottwax

I do know the Meguiars backing plate is absolutely horrible. The velcro on it actually gets hot enough to warp and then it won`t grip the pads anymore. My Meguiars distributor is researching other backing plates because they are tired of replacing them. I ended up going back to the one I got with my PC I bought through the Autopia store. It is showing some wear, so I thought about trying the one excel detail sells. Anyone use it? Thoughts?

I have had my Megs plate for two years and no problems so far. I don`t do nearly as many cars as you either so that probably has something to do with it. The plate cost over $30.00 CDN and I won`t replace it with another Megs plate at those rip off prices.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Scottwax

I have the Excel backing plate and it works really well. I`ve only had it for 3 months now and it still works really well. It holds the pads so well that I actually have to put a little muscle into removing them from the backing plate. I like how the backing plate fits pretty nicely in the recessed area of the pad. :xyxthumbs
    Devil Pad

Professional Automotive Detailing

Thread Information