Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    While researching my first polisher I found this excellent tutorial on youtube on using the rotary YouTube - Wetsanding part 1 of 5

Very informative on the tips and tricks. So much that I`m not nearly as afraid to buy the rotary as the first foray into polishing rather than a PC. Simple tips like starting slow--speeding up--then slowing down to finish out. Also let the rotary weight apply the necessary pressure and gently guiding vs. forcing its direction. Seeing it in action (along with reading postings in here) goes a long way.

Also the rotary sounded much smoother and quieter. The PC kinda looked like a beating and the noise was much louder. Also the work time was much longer.

I don`t know...Detailing reminds me so much of my other hobby-- sal````er aquariums. Forums would helpfully advise right from wrong and the evils of certain fish, water chemistry etc. so as not to kill everything you buy (like the rotary--you`ll burn the paint). It`s always sound advice for a newbie and I learned a lot but also found out some of the fears were unfounded.

To me, the rotary looks like a simple choice. Like anything, you just have to take your time, read up and go slow. Common sense is always a welcome attribute in life.

Post Thanks / Like
    I don`t know...Detailing reminds me so much of my other hobby-- sal````er aquariums.

Cool I also have a reef tank.175 bow front.

Post Thanks / Like
    The rotary was actually my first tool, then I bought a PC and only used it a couple times then sold it. Now I just have the 849 and the Flex (which I have yet to put to use). Practice makes perfect.
    If you do not change what your doing today, tomorrow will be no different.

Post Thanks / Like
    I like the fact that he did not minimize the risk of using a rotary and acknowledged that without proper precautions you can very easily burn through the paint. Gotta love my Flex and UDM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree. And it was telling how comfortable the tutor was with the rotary versus the students who looked pretty apprehensive. Kinda like golf. The good ones make it look so easy anyone feels they can do it--until that first swing.

Charlotte, NC (actually Iron Station, NC)
    Post Thanks / Like
    I started with a PC, and moved to a Makita rotary. I have found that if you pay attention to what you are doing, and don`t get unneccessarily agressive with the pad/polish, it isn`t all that hard to use a rotary.

EDIT - the Meguiar`s wetsanding videos were very helpful to me, as are the detailed write ups from knowledgable guys on this site like Todd, Brian, Bryan, Scott, etc... have been very helpful as well for learning different pad/polish combos.

Post Thanks / Like
    My one concern that`s echoed in the postings are the tight areas around bumpers etc. Guess I could hand polish them as there isn`t much real estate to deal with.

Charlotte, NC (actually Iron Station, NC)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ricka
    My one concern that`s echoed in the postings are the tight areas around bumpers etc. Guess I could hand polish them as there isn`t much real estate to deal with.

Since I also have a PC, I typically set it up with 4" pads, and use it in tight areas. Sometimes I use the rotary and 4" pads for those areas also, but most of the time I just set the PC up with 4" pads, so I don`t have to swap backing plates on the rotary in the middle of a detail.

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like
    Common sense and keeping the machine moving significantly reduces risks of burning with the rotary.

Post Thanks / Like
    IME the problem isn`t really burning paint so much as having to avoid the "just a little bit more..." temptation. If there`s something you`re worried about damaging, just tape it off and deal with it as a separate matter.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator
    IME the problem isn`t really burning paint so much as having to avoid the "just a little bit more..." temptation. If there`s something you`re worried about damaging, just tape it off and deal with it as a separate matter.

Agreed.

Once you get the hang of the rotary, it is pretty easy to use. The concentration level is higher though, because of the faster cut. Being able to trigger the speed down on edges is a big help.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    I never knew people made such a big deal out of the rotary until I joined this site. I guess it is good as it prevents some mishaps but it also discourages people, which I dislike. I picked up a rotary at 16(19 now) and didn`t even know other polishers were available. I always encourage people to just try it and not be scared.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Stanger&#39
    I never knew people made such a big deal out of the rotary until I joined this site. I guess it is good as it prevents some mishaps but it also discourages people, which I dislike. I picked up a rotary at 16(19 now) and didn`t even know other polishers were available. I always encourage people to just try it and not be scared.
    I am sure with practice one can become proficient with one. Some people just don`t have the time or do not want to spend countless hours practicing with one, especially a beginner enthusiast who does not detail for a living. I certainly would not want to start that training on my ultra soft Lexus paint, too risky for my taste. However, if my business was detailing, it would be a must.

Post Thanks / Like
    The first time I ever tried a rotary was on a 99 Lambo, Diablo. This car had scratches all over it and the only thing I could think to do was break out the new Makita. I think my knuckles are still white from holding on and that was almost six years ago. This site does do a wonderful job of putting the fear of God into those that would like to move up to a rotary. I will say though, there are probably quite a few paint burns that have not happened due to the rotary fear mongers around here. Other than that, this site and it`s members have put out a ton of good information. Also, there have been countless questions answered that have helped a whole heck of a lot of people. You take the good with the bad, especially because there is a lot more good than bad.

Post Thanks / Like
    Using a rotary for the first time on a lambo is probably the third worst idea anyone could come up with, or maybe fourth. I`m glad you didn`t burn the paint but I can 100% guarantee that paint has issues thanks to your best efforts. That is not a knock, it`s to be expected, I`d love to know of anyone who knows of anyone who finished out with a rotary on their first time with positive results. ***Of course there are plenty of nasty products out there that can make any buffing job look great...for a little while*** It is very important to gain all the valuable info on the do and don`ts of rotary polishing. There are also several stages along the learning curve that you will realize when you become proficient in the art of machine polishing. It literally takes a fraction of a second for a mistake that will cost you 100 times what you are charging for the job to happen. It is a machine that needs to be respected, and one should know the in`s and out`s of every polish and paint sytem prior to performing that type work on a paying customers car.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information