Autopia Forums - Auto Detailing & Car Care Discussion Forum
Go Back   Autopia Forums - Auto Detailing & Car Care Discussion Forum > Truth In Detailing Auto Detailing Forum > TID-Detailing Center Archive > Interior Care
Interior Care Carpet, Upholstery, etc.

» Car Care Brands

(#1) Old
imported_Bunky is starting to get a good reputation around here.

How damp is too damp for a vacuum cleaner? - 05-31-2011, 11:02 AM

As the title says, how damp is too damp to use a standard vacuum on carpeting that has been sprayed with APC for cleaning? I have always used a wet/dry so never worried about it but in many cases it would be the same if you use a "bag" filter (in addition to the pleated paper filter).in the wet / dry.

Al

Made in USA

(#2) Old
MrGolfRider is starting to get a good reputation around here.

05-31-2011, 11:16 AM

I don't know that I would ever use a home vacuum for anything wet. Give it a try and let us know. Why are you even thinking of using a vacuum like that anyways? Shop vacs are so cheap, especially with craigslist.

Sent from my HTC Vision using Tapatalk

(#3) Old
imported_Bunky is starting to get a good reputation around here.

05-31-2011, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGolfRider View Post
I don't know that I would ever use a home vacuum for anything wet. Give it a try and let us know. Why are you even thinking of using a vacuum like that anyways? Shop vacs are so cheap, especially with craigslist.
I used the word damp not wet. When I clean carpets with APC, I scrub with a Mothers carpet brush, vacuum, then spray carpet with APC (like 10:1) but it is not wet like with an extractor, bit more scrubbing or wiping, then vacuum. I may wipe the carpet down with a terry cloth before I vacuum with the wet/dry. The question is doing this with just a vac bad. The worst I see is the filter gets a little damp.

Al

Made in USA

(#4) Old
Nth Degree would be a good candidate for mayor of Autopiaforums.com.

05-31-2011, 11:57 AM

I do not have any experience with this, so take this advice with that in mind: Try pressing momentarily with moderate pressure with a terrycloth towel. If it creates one big spot, then it's too wet. If it absorbs in a splotchy pattern, then it is probably safe. But I would still prefer to use a wet/dry vac just to be certain.

(#5) Old
imported_gewb is starting to get a good reputation around here.

05-31-2011, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunky View Post
The worst I see is the filter gets a little damp.
If that happens, the worst I see is mold developing in the vac/hoses - to me that means replacing it.

Regards,
GEWB

(#6) Old
imported_JSFM35X is starting to get a good reputation around here.

05-31-2011, 03:00 PM

I would not use a dry vacuum on a damp carpet. My day job is as the owner of a Janitorial Supply Distributor. I fix vacuums all the time that have rusted motors casued by someone vacuuming the carpets when they are wet. You will get away with it for a while but it is not long term. If you deal with damp carpets, where damp is defined as a vacuum will take out moisture I would suggest investing in a spotter which is nothing more than a mini extractor. You could also let them air dry or force dry them with a air mover type fan.

I have a spotter, a steamer and a wet dry vac. I extract my interior 1x per year after the winter and when the temperature is above 40 degrees. I dry vacuum, pre spray, extract with just water and then extract with just vacuum.

You can also get quite a shock vacuuming wet carpets with a dry vacuum!

(#7) Old
AMG Classic Car Detailing
Old Pirate Can Make Rust ShineOld Pirate Can Make Rust ShineOld Pirate Can Make Rust ShineOld Pirate Can Make Rust ShineOld Pirate Can Make Rust Shine

05-31-2011, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSFM35X View Post
I would not use a dry vacuum on a damp carpet. My day job is as the owner of a Janitorial Supply Distributor. I fix vacuums all the time that have rusted motors casued by someone vacuuming the carpets when they are wet. You will get away with it for a while but it is not long term. If you deal with damp carpets, where damp is defined as a vacuum will take out moisture I would suggest investing in a spotter which is nothing more than a mini extractor. You could also let them air dry or force dry them with a air mover type fan.

I have a spotter, a steamer and a wet dry vac. I extract my interior 1x per year after the winter and when the temperature is above 40 degrees. I dry vacuum, pre spray, extract with just water and then extract with just vacuum.

You can also get quite a shock vacuuming wet carpets with a dry vacuum!

Great write up and suggestion too!

AutopiaForums is the place to be.
Remember to Shop Autopia-CarCare.com for your Detailing Needs!

(#8) Old
Tuck91 is starting to get a good reputation around here.

05-31-2011, 08:12 PM

Your better off just using a shop vac.

On a side note,

You wouldnt believe the amount of gunk you can pull out of carpet floormats by pressure washing them.

It also gets all the residual cleaner out.

Nick
Tucker's Detailing Services
2012 Ford Transit Connect
815-954-0773

(#9) Old
Here comes Trouble...
Trouble is very helpful and well-respected.

05-31-2011, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunky View Post
I have always used a wet/dry so never worried about it but in many cases it would be the same if you use a "bag" filter (in addition to the pleated paper filter).in the wet / dry.
Your suppose to remove the filter if your vacuming water Weightlifter

Conceit is the only disease that makes everyone sick except the person who has it

(#10) Old
Just a regular guy
Todd Helme Can Make Rust ShineTodd Helme Can Make Rust ShineTodd Helme Can Make Rust ShineTodd Helme Can Make Rust ShineTodd Helme Can Make Rust ShineTodd Helme Can Make Rust ShineTodd Helme Can Make Rust ShineTodd Helme Can Make Rust ShineTodd Helme Can Make Rust ShineTodd Helme Can Make Rust ShineTodd Helme Can Make Rust Shine

06-01-2011, 04:58 PM

If you can 'feel' the water being vacuumed up the hose then it's to wet for a dry vac.