Post Thanks / Like

Interior Cleaner Question - Black Dash white in texture after cleaning

I just used Griot`s Garage Interior cleaner on my new to me, extremely well kept 1995 BMW M3. The interior is black with a extremely textured matte vinyl dash. The cleaner seemed to work extremely well but at the same time made a lot of the cracks in the texture white. It will most likely be resolved with a dash protectant such as Sonax or 1z. I prefer a natural finish, in fact I avoid any protectant and have always wiped down the dash in my other cars with either a damp microfiber cloth or a cloth sprayed with Griots Garage Interior Cleaner, followed up with a dry one and maintained by wiping down dash with dry MF cloth weekly. This had always maintained my cars interior factory finish. But now that I have this older car, almost 20 year car, I can`t resort to that as now I have whitish cracks in the black dash after cleaning with Griots Garage Interior cleaner. I`m thinking Sonax or 1z cockpit (leaning to Sonax due to scent) BUT at the same time the "matte" finish would possibly even be too much "shine" for me as I`m used to non at all. Any thoughts on the best way to proceed?

I`ll try to take a pic but not sure if it will show up correctly.

Thanks in advance.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Interior Cleaner Question - Black Dash white in texture after cleaning

Quote Originally Posted by puma1824 View Post
    I just used Griot`s Garage Interior cleaner on my new to me, extremely well kept 1995 BMW M3. The interior is black with a extremely textured matte vinyl dash. The cleaner seemed to work extremely well but at the same time made a lot of the cracks in the texture white. It will most likely be resolved with a dash protectant such as Sonax or 1z. I prefer a natural finish, in fact I avoid any protectant and have always wiped down the dash in my other cars with either a damp microfiber cloth or a cloth sprayed with Griots Garage Interior Cleaner, followed up with a dry one and maintained by wiping down dash with dry MF cloth weekly. This had always maintained my cars interior factory finish. But now that I have this older car, almost 20 year car, I can`t resort to that as now I have whitish cracks in the black dash after cleaning with Griots Garage Interior cleaner. I`m thinking Sonax or 1z cockpit (leaning to Sonax due to scent) BUT at the same time the "matte" finish would possibly even be too much "shine" for me as I`m used to non at all. Any thoughts on the best way to proceed?

I`ll try to take a pic but not sure if it will show up correctly.

Thanks in advance.
    Try using pure water, a lightly agitating the surface with a soft leather & vinyl brush, then "rinse" the area with even more water, and wipe dry with a terry cloth towel. Let`s see if what you are seeing is actually residue from the cleaner that has accumulated over time.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Helme View Post
    Try using pure water, a lightly agitating the surface with a soft leather & vinyl brush, then "rinse" the area with even more water, and wipe dry with a terry cloth towel. Let`s see if what you are seeing is actually residue from the cleaner that has accumulated over time.
    Thanks I`ll give that a shot. Have any suggestions on the type of vinyl / leather brush?

Post Thanks / Like

So the issue is resolved I appreciate everyone`s feedback as it has definitely helped troubleshoot the issue.

I had initially tried re-cleaning using a soft brush water only with no luck, Then again with the same GG interior cleaner. Unfortunately that didn`t do much and still had white residue. Then I tried using a dedicated dash cleaner / dressing with Sonax Dashboard Cleaner (matte finish), that too didn`t help too much. Then it was thought that the dashboard was possibly dried out and to try another dressing/protectant. As a result I purchased UIGP and awaited delivery.

While UIGP was in transit, I visited a local detailer to see if they had any suggestions. The owner tried out some of his Meguiar`s APC (not sure if it was diluted) and agitated it with small detail brush. He wiped it dry and before my eyes the residue was gone Turns out the assumption that residue was built up, most likely from previous owners dressing(s) was correct. It was not only this but the GG interior cleaner was actually not strong enough at full strength. I ended up trying / using Pinnacle APC (diluted 1:10) instead of GG Interior cleaner and a horse hair detailing brush. My close to 20 year old car`s dashboard and other interior parts look almost factory new! Looks so good, I`m reluctant to add dressing or protectant. I`m thinking I should use the UIGP which I now have and never tried for the UV protection....thoughts? I prefer stock matte finish, which Sonax should give me but no protection.

Thanks everyone for all your help!!

Thread Information