Autopia Forums - Auto Detailing & Car Care Discussion Forum
Go Back   Autopia Forums - Auto Detailing & Car Care Discussion Forum > Autopia Car Care Guide To Detailing > Interior Car Care
Interior Car Care Discuss your favorite techniques and products in caring for carpets, leather, trim, and upholstery.

» Car Care Brands
Like Tree3Likes

(#1) Old
polisher is starting to get a good reputation around here.

best way to clean headliner - 02-29-2012, 11:51 AM

any tips/ideas how to clean that "carpet" on the top. lol.

Lexus Rx300

(#2) Old
Director of AutopiaForums
Todd Helme Can Make Rust ShineTodd Helme Can Make Rust ShineTodd Helme Can Make Rust ShineTodd Helme Can Make Rust ShineTodd Helme Can Make Rust ShineTodd Helme Can Make Rust ShineTodd Helme Can Make Rust ShineTodd Helme Can Make Rust ShineTodd Helme Can Make Rust ShineTodd Helme Can Make Rust Shine

Re: best way to clean headliner - 02-29-2012, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polisher View Post
any tips/ideas how to clean that "carpet" on the top. lol.
How soiled are we talking? Most headliners can be spot cleaned using a damp microfiber towel that has been primed with a diluted all purpose cleaner such as Optimum Power Clean or BLACKFIRE All-N-One APC. Lightly wipe the product into the headliner with the towel then blot dry.

Most headliners are glued onto the backing foam, so if you over saturate the headliner it could loosen the adhesive and cause the liner to drop.

(#3) Old
Blacktruckowner is starting to get a good reputation around here.

Re: best way to clean headliner - 02-29-2012, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Helme View Post

Most headliners are glued onto the backing foam, so if you over saturate the headliner it could loosen the adhesive and cause the liner to drop.
I had a friend do this to his GM p/u. He had to replace it with a new one.

(#4) Old
125 per hour is fair :P
Jsmooth is pretty famous around here.Jsmooth is pretty famous around here.

Re: best way to clean headliner - 02-29-2012, 12:18 PM

I'm with Todd very light spot cleaning with a diluted degreaser applied to microfiber but be carefull as they damage easy.

(#5) Old
mrclean81 Can Make Rust Shinemrclean81 Can Make Rust Shinemrclean81 Can Make Rust Shinemrclean81 Can Make Rust Shinemrclean81 Can Make Rust Shinemrclean81 Can Make Rust Shine

Re: best way to clean headliner - 02-29-2012, 12:30 PM

Dry foam like Tuff Stuff, Blue Coral, or even better Car Brite's Xtra Duty is what I've used for years and never had anything but great results from it. The problem that headliners present is that if you over soak them, the glue will release and the material will fall. Dry foam eliminates that risk.

(#6) Old
Stokdgs would be a good candidate for mayor of Autopiaforums.com.

Re: best way to clean headliner - 02-29-2012, 03:42 PM

I use my steamers big triangular brush through a white towel (so I can see if I am removing dirt) all the time on headliners and it works great. Because I am working fast so I don't affect the glue, I can knock out the entire headliner in a few minutes. Just brush front to back, and try to keep the pressure the same. Never have had a problem with a headliner loosening, falling, etc..

If its just a small grease spot where some dirty mechanic's hands held on to the edge, etc., I will also use a little Meguiars APC + on a microfiber, work it carefully straight in, not sideways if possible, and blot it out.
Dan F

(#7) Old
Just One More Coat
Beemerboy Can Make Rust ShineBeemerboy Can Make Rust ShineBeemerboy Can Make Rust ShineBeemerboy Can Make Rust ShineBeemerboy Can Make Rust ShineBeemerboy Can Make Rust ShineBeemerboy Can Make Rust ShineBeemerboy Can Make Rust Shine

Re: best way to clean headliner - 02-29-2012, 04:01 PM

I use a clean white terry towel folded with APC on it, then rub the head liner turning the towel as it gets dirty. I yet to have any HL I haven't been able to get clean this way.

Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave's Detailing
Sonoma County, CA

(#8) Old
Just One More Coat
Beemerboy Can Make Rust ShineBeemerboy Can Make Rust ShineBeemerboy Can Make Rust ShineBeemerboy Can Make Rust ShineBeemerboy Can Make Rust ShineBeemerboy Can Make Rust ShineBeemerboy Can Make Rust ShineBeemerboy Can Make Rust Shine

Re: best way to clean headliner - 02-29-2012, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
I use my steamers big triangular brush through a white towel (so I can see if I am removing dirt) all the time on headliners and it works great. Because I am working fast so I don't affect the glue, I can knock out the entire headliner in a few minutes. Just brush front to back, and try to keep the pressure the same. Never have had a problem with a headliner loosening, falling, etc..

If its just a small grease spot where some dirty mechanic's hands held on to the edge, etc., I will also use a little Meguiars APC + on a microfiber, work it carefully straight in, not sideways if possible, and blot it out.
Dan F
Do you have that steamer on? If so your taking some real chances IMO. That glue can release pretty quick

Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave's Detailing
Sonoma County, CA

(#9) Old

Re: best way to clean headliner - 02-29-2012, 04:33 PM

Dave -

Yes, I have the steamer on, low pressure, folded towel, you can barely see steam coming through. Probably the same as running a hot towel over the headliner..
No issues, problems, very clean Headliners..
Dan F

(#10) Old
RootsRadical is starting to get a good reputation around here.

Re: best way to clean headliner - 02-29-2012, 04:38 PM

I, too, use a steamer to clean headliners. I spray a bit of APC on a terry cloth towel, fold it over the brush attachment, blast it with a hit of steam, and use the hot towel to clean the dirt from the headliner. I don't use a direct hit of steam on the liner except possibly for a brief second if the liner is exceptionally dirty.
Stokdgs, jacoboram and Gurge like this.

(#11) Old
rwright is very helpful and well-respected.

Re: best way to clean headliner - 02-29-2012, 04:55 PM

I'm looking to step up to steam cleaning soon but I've often wondered how it doesn't affect the glue. Great thread, thanks.

(#12) Old

Re: best way to clean headliner - 02-29-2012, 09:00 PM

I'm totally in synch with Roots Radical on this and use the same method for years.

Ever wonder what happens to all those new cars that run durability testing in Death Valley in the summer? They all get way, way, hotter on the tops, right close to the glue that holds the entire headliner and pad in place, than I will ever get the headliner hot with my dry steam towel as I rub it briefly across the headliner.

The entire vehicle is opened up, so I dont have to worry about moisture getting the glue wet enough to harm it, the steam is dry and filtered through a double-layer of thick toweling; I never have any problems.

The only thing Roots Radical and I get are really clean headliners, the fabric is looking really nice and even and not so flattened out; it is way cleaner and smells way better.

Dan F

(#13) Old
ca.detailchick is an incredible help to Autopiaforums.com members!ca.detailchick is an incredible help to Autopiaforums.com members!

Re: best way to clean headliner - 03-03-2012, 02:46 AM

I like armor all cleaning wipes for headliners.They are perfect for this !

(#14) Old
xtralights is starting to get a good reputation around here.

Thumbs up Re: best way to clean headliner - 04-09-2012, 12:06 AM

To effectively remove any stain, a good approach is to know what the chemical composition of the stain is, and then use a physical or chemical strategy tailored to that chemical, while being mindful of avoiding damage to the item being cleaned.Be aware when mixing chemicals or cleaners; the potential of causing toxic fumes can be harmful.

(#15) Old
Gurge would be a good candidate for mayor of Autopiaforums.com.

Re: best way to clean headliner - 04-09-2012, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RootsRadical View Post
I, too, use a steamer to clean headliners. I spray a bit of APC on a terry cloth towel, fold it over the brush attachment, blast it with a hit of steam, and use the hot towel to clean the dirt from the headliner. I don't use a direct hit of steam on the liner except possibly for a brief second if the liner is exceptionally dirty.
I pretty much do the same when its dirty.

although most times thats not even necessary. you'd be surprised how effective a good vacuum with a SOFT bristle brush can be on the headliner (referring to the vac attachment with the soft bristles)

Bryan
Mr. Sparkle Detailing Inc - Owner / Operator
http://www.mrsparkledetailing.com
Instagram @MrSparkleDetailing