Post Thanks / Like

How To: Extract your carpets using a Mytee Lite II 8070

How To: Extract your carpets using a Mytee Lite II 8070

The best way to clean your carpets completely is to shampoo them using a process known as extracting. Mytee Products, Inc. is the oldest carpet cleaning machine company in the industry today. They have been building the highest quality carpet extractors since 1977. The Mytee Lite II 8070 is a super high quality machine designed to leave you carpets perfectly clean and fresh.

Before extracting your carpets it is best to thoroughly vacuum them and remove as much loose soiling as possible. For tips and tricks on carpet vacuuming please read this thread: Tips & Tricks: Vacuuming your vehicle.

The first step after vacuuming your carpet and removing all debris is to set up the carpet extractor. In the case of the Mytee, it is pretty straight forward.

The body of the Mytee is separated into two parts. The top section is the water recovery tank (where the dirty water goes). The bottom section is the clean water tank. Each is 3 gallons

The first step is to separate the two sections in order to fill the bottom reservoir. Undo the latch at the back of the Mytee by spinning the handle clock-wise.

Then tilt towards the front to remove.

This exposes a huge mouth in the bottom reservoir to fill the tank with the water solution.

Now fill the Mytee Lite II 8070 with water. You can use a soap/carpet detergent solution but for this write-up we will be using a pre-treatment and extracting with pure water.

The next step is to reassemble the body and attach the hose. The hose actually features two separate hoses that are strapped together. The smaller pressure line is where the water is pumped to the handle. The larger vacuum hose is where the solution will be extracted back to the machine.

Insert the male end of the hose into the quick-connect opening on the machine.

Then press the vacuum hose over the opening on the Water Return Tank at the top of the machine.

Hooked up and ready to go.

You must attach and extraction tool to the other end of the hose. The Mytee comes with a high-quality standard extraction handle. Optional (and highly worth it) is the long and slender crevice tool that allows you to clean the tight areas with ease.

Press the hose over the opening at the back of the extraction tool.

Then hook up the female quick-connect end of the hose to the male-end of the tool.

Now the Mytee Lite II 8070 is ready to go. Plug it in. One the back of the lower body is three switches: Vac, Pump, and Heat

• Vac- Use Vac to turn on the Mytee`s powerful 3 stage motor capable of delivering 137 inches of lift.
    • Pump- Turning on the 120 psi pump sends water to the handle so it can be sprayed onto the carpet
    • Heat- The Mytee Lite II 8070 has a powerful 1200 Watt in line heater that can warm the water to 210 degrees in about 8 minutes.

The pump works as needed and the heater needs time to heat the water for best performance. Turn both on now. Leave the vacuum switch off until you are ready to begin.

You will get the best performance from extracting by using a pre-treatment on the carpet/upholstory. I used Detailer`s Pro Series Carpet Extractor Pre-Treatment. Mist the treatment on the area to be cleaned and allow to dwell for approximately three to five minutes.

The directions recommend using a a carpet brush to agitate the solution prior to extraction. I attached a carpet brush to a Meguiar`s G110v2 to make it easy.

Use on speed 4 to agitate the carpet thoroughly with little elbow grease.

To extract make sure you turn the vacuum switch on. Now squeeze the trigger on the handle to powefully mist 210 degree water onto the carpet. As you move the tool in a straight line across the carpet the powerful vacuum will immediately remove the solution. The heated water quickly mixes with the Detailer`s Pro Series Extractor Pre-Treatment, removes embedded dirt and most staining, then is powerfully removed from the carpet by the Mytees strong lift. In seconds your carpet is clean.

Simply move the extraction tool in a straight line at moderate speed with the trigger depressed. You will see the steam from the water as it hits the carpet and blasts it clean. The Mytee`s powerful motor removes the solution immediately leaving carpet and upholstery barely damp.

Here is the rear mat that I use in my car. It is actually from my old car and has been abused by detailing equipment and dogs most of its life.

And here is the result after being vacuumed thoroughly and right side being extracted.

After covering the entire area, release the trigger and slowly vacuum up as much water as possible. The drier (and faster you dry) the carpet the better the results.

Moving on to the interior, treat an area at a time, such as the floor board, then the seats (if fabric).

The seats of my car feature a fabric/upholstered center section between the leather sides. When extracting seats start from the top and work down, making sure to cover the entire area with an equal amount of water to prevent water spot stains when you are done.

"Wicking" occurs when dirt travels form the bottom of the carpet to the top due to the capillary effect of wet fibers. Drying the carpet or uphosltery quickly will prevent wicking. Use an absorbent microfiber or cotton towel to blot the surface dry. Lightly wipe as you blot to fluff the fibers and promote better drying.

When you are done extracting the carpet and upholstery leave the windows of the vehicle open or crack to allow air to move in and out of the cabin. This prevents mold and a musty smell.

Now it is time to empty the water tank and see the amount of soil removed. The water recovery tank is the top section of the Mytee Lite II 8070. Remove the tank and open the top lid.

While Detailer`s Pro Series Carpet Extractor Pre-Treatment is 100% biodegrable it is best to check with local regulations in how to properly dispose of your extracted solution.

For illustration purposes I used a yellow bucket. Pour the dirty slurry out of the tank.

And enjoy the fruits of your labor. The interior on my Mazdaspeed 3 was clean, or so I thought. The powerful Mytee was able to remove a serious amount of dirt and grime none-the-less. After viewing how much was removed I can confidently say interior has never looked so good and smelled so fresh. That`s the power of Mytee. These are the types of results that make enthusiasts giddy and impress clients.

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

re: How To: Extract your carpets using a Mytee Lite II 8070

Great write up and pictures - thanks for doing this !

I have the Mytee HP60 Spyder, smaller tanks, mounted front and back, drain in back fits a 5 gallon bucket easily, same performance as the HP100.
    Love it, use it on every detail, and also use it on floor mats. You still need to clean really dirty ones, but the extraction tool shown here, and hot water will really clean and rinse the mats almost perfectly dry the first time.
    No scrubbing and rinsing with the hose in the driveway, all the dirty soap is captured, and I dump the 5 gallon bucket in the laundry room sink.
    And as you showed, you will ALWAYS drain out brown water - its really amazing how much dirt is in the carpets and fabric of vehicles !
    From an allergenic perspective alone, one would always want to have their carpets professionally extracted, perhaps twice a year.

Thanks for putting this Demo up !

Dan F

Post Thanks / Like
    Great write up. I have a HP100 at work, and even though its ancient compared to the new models, it still works perfectly. These things are really built to last and worth every penny. There`s not much they can`t get out of carpet.

Post Thanks / Like

Another great tutorial Todd on carpet cleaning and with one of the nicest machines I`ve seen used...

Writeup + photos = Success...

BobbyG

Post Thanks / Like

Great write up and thanks I have had one for a few years and they work excellent. Great point about :"Wicking" occurs when dirt travels form the bottom of the carpet to the top due to the capillary effect of wet fibers. Drying the carpet or uphosltery quickly will prevent wicking. Use an absorbent microfiber or cotton towel to blot the surface dry. Lightly wipe as you blot to fluff the fibers and promote better drying." I started doing this last year and makes a world of difference.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you guys for the compliments on the write-up. The Mytee HP100 is a serious machine but has a lot of uses. Carpet around the house, upholstered seats, and so on.

Not only did it work great but I also have clean carpets in my car!

Post Thanks / Like

any tips on connecting the quick connect at the hose end. it is a real xxxxx for me. hasn`t loosened at all. tried some oil no help. do i just have to live with this? thanks dave

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Dave !
    Are you referring to the high pressure water hose? I think you are, and this one will always be hard to connect if the line is still pressurized.
    What I have learned to do after a few years is leave my crevice tool connected to it, use it to clean out the recovery tank cause its thin and can get down in there easily, pull off the vacuum hose to vacuum out the water tank (which also helps clean and rinse out this hose), trigger the connected crevice tool until all pressure is relieved, and then wrap the hose up around the machine with the crevice tool still connected.
    Sometimes, the pump will pressurize after its shut off and pressure relieved - dont know why it does this, but if you leave a tool installed, you can always have a way to relieve the pressure and make the disconnect/reconnect way easier.
    Having the quick disconnect lubed with something like dry silicone spray helps it too, but getting the line de-pressurized is the best thing that you can do to help reconnect
    tool/s to it.

Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

thanks todd

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How To: Extract your carpets using a Mytee Lite II 8070

Do you usually need to clean out the recovery tank during a typical cleaning?

Al
    The Need to Bead

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
    Hi Dave !
    Are you referring to the high pressure water hose? I think you are, and this one will always be hard to disconnect if the line is still pressurized.
    What I have learned to do after a few years is leave my crevice tool connected to it, use it to clean out the recovery tank cause its thin and can get down in there easily, pull off the vacuum hose to vacuum out the water tank (which also helps clean and rinse out this hose), trigger the connected crevice tool until all pressure is relieved, and then wrap the hose up around the machine with the crevice tool still connected.
    Sometimes, the pump will pressurize after its shut off and pressure relieved - dont know why it does this, but if you leave a tool installed, you can always have a way to relieve the pressure and make the disconnect/reconnect way easier.
    Having the quick disconnect lubed with something like dry silicone spray helps it too, but getting the line de-pressurized is the best thing that you can do to help reconnect
    tool/s to it.

Dan F
    Wow, awesome response Dan!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bunky View Post
    Do you usually need to clean out the recovery tank during a typical cleaning?
    I found that the even the Mytee Lite had more than enough capacity to extract my car. The recovery tank should be emptied when full (and since it is the same size as the water tank and you leave some moisture behind when you shampoo it is a good idea to empty it if/when you run out of water). I would rinse it out thorough after you are done just to prevent weird smells and let it dry with the cap off to prevent mildew.

Post Thanks / Like

+1 with Todd -

You really want to empty both tanks when finished. The Recovery Tank will be full of brown water, yeah, it needs to go.

Then, you take the long crevice tool, connect to the pressure line, rinse out the Recovery Tank, and drain.

Then, you take the big Vacuum line, turn on the Vacuum button, and extract all the remaining water in the Water Tank, and drain.

Both tanks are now almost dry, keep the lids open and off if possible, the Recovery Tank may have a small "bag fliter" in it that needs to come out, turned inside out and rinsed off, and reconnected.

You are good to go !

Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
    +1 with Todd -

You really want to empty both tanks when finished. The Recovery Tank will be full of brown water, yeah, it needs to go.

Then, you take the long crevice tool, connect to the pressure line, rinse out the Recovery Tank, and drain.

Then, you take the big Vacuum line, turn on the Vacuum button, and extract all the remaining water in the Water Tank, and drain.

Both tanks are now almost dry, keep the lids open and off if possible, the Recovery Tank may have a small "bag fliter" in it that needs to come out, turned inside out and rinsed off, and reconnected.

You are good to go !

Dan F
    Great advice Dan, thank you!

Thread Information