Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    What do you guys think of eMachines?

My girlfriend`s aunt is looking for an affordable computer for her kids to play games on (nothing too crazy for now), surf the internet, and do school work.

This one looks like it could handle their needs for several years: http://www.e4me.com/products/product...Machines_T6524

Anyone have experience with them?

Post Thanks / Like
    That machine looks okay, I`ve never dealt with them though. I `ve always built my own...But I do work on other`s computers and I`ve never been asked to work on one of those..Maybe that`s a good sign? Not sure...

My only advice to you is to look at the operating system that it has...
    E36 Estoril Blue BMW ///M3

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Zerrus
    My only advice to you is to look at the operating system that it has...

Meaning???

Post Thanks / Like
    I have never heard of XP media center as an OP, and i am almost decent with computers.

But checking that config and price with Dell, and that is a heck of a price. The similar priced Dell only has 256 mb of memory. that horrible, not even usable anymore.

The Emachine is using shared memory, but it has a gig, so it will be pleanty fast, but unable to play hardcore FPS type games.

It will run games like World of Warcraft, Rise of Nations ect quite well.

Very good price if ya ask me, im not sure i could build it less than that, considering an A64 939 Venice 3500 is 200 bucks.

If there is a need to play more graphic intense games, a PCI-X video card will drop in, so it is future proof for now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, JBM.

The kids are 7 and 5, so hardcore games aren`t a major concern for a good while.

Post Thanks / Like
    Get them started on Macs early!!

With all of the viruses and spyware and random system errors, I`ve been done with Windows for 3 years now.

Mac OS X is the most reliable OS available.

A Mac Mini would be great for the kids, and she can save money by using an existing monitor!
    Life is just too short to drive a substandard vehicle...

Post Thanks / Like
    It`s doubtful on the Mac.

Post Thanks / Like
    Emachines was bought by Gateway, so should be pretty good quality.

Gateway completes eMachines buy

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ZaneO
    What do you guys think of eMachines?

My girlfriend`s aunt is looking for an affordable computer for her kids to play games on (nothing too crazy for now), surf the internet, and do school work.

This one looks like it could handle their needs for several years: http://www.e4me.com/products/product...Machines_T6524

Anyone have experience with them?

I would say go for it, I work with computers and as a helpdesk admin in my company. I hang with some serious IT guys. if you ever heard them talk you will be lost. I am on their level of conversation but I keep the " geek " lingo at work. anyhow they have always said nothing but good things about the E-machines especially for the price ( most of their kids have them) I used to hate them but they have me convinced they are reliable well built and will last for years. are they the fastest and able to be acceptable for gamers no but that is not what you are looking for. take this for what it is worth but my next basic machine will be one of these for my kids.

Post Thanks / Like
    Teach them the horror of Apple while they`re young. Teach them how to use a computer and you won`t have any problems with viruses or adware.

And yeah, the media center thing bugs me... I`d never use it as a daily OS, but XP can be expensive if you actually pay for it.......
    E36 Estoril Blue BMW ///M3

Post Thanks / Like
    The eMachines of today are far superior to the junk they used to sell. I`ve worked on a few of the older ones and hated them. Now, since being owned by Gateway, they offer a nice system at a great price. I wouldn`t own one myself, I build my own. But for kids to do homework, surf and play games, the eMachine should work great.

Post Thanks / Like
    A quick note: The monitor is sold separately and I couldn`t tell if the speakers were included. Dell is pretty regular about running specials on desktops. One of the sites I frequent, dealnews.com, will keep you updated. There was only one current deal that looks like it is dead but here is a link where I searched for Dell Dimensions: http://dealnews.com/artsearch.html?s...ll%20dimension . If you look at the expiration dates you can see they regularly have sales.

As for more memory or a larger hard drive, it is very inexpensive and relatively easy to upgrade either.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you are looking for a pretty good monitor for the emachine here is a nice LCD. Sony 19in LCD $169.99 shipped free, Nov 30

Office Depot has the Sony SDM-HS95/B 19" LCD Monitor, 16ms response, 500:1 contrast $449.99 - $30 off $150 (Excludes memory, Networking, drives, other items) Coupon (Exp 12/31) - $150 rebate (Exp 1/1/06) - $100 rebate (Exp 12/31) = $169.99 shipped free.

Saw it on TechBargins just this very day.
    cwcad

DO WHAT YOU SAY.....SAY WHAT YOU DO!!!!
    www.ldkbox.com a blog about life`s details

Post Thanks / Like
    I think I have the same model at home. I`m happy with it. The PCI-E slot was a good option to have when you want to swap in a real video card. It was a good selling point for me.

Price all that stuff out seperately, it`s a good deal.

Post Thanks / Like
    I hate Gateway so I stay away from them and e-machines. But that is my opinion. For that price you could get a nice Dell with a flat screen monitor or printer upgrade. They always have killer deals going.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information