Post Thanks / Like
    A very good friend of mine just bought a black 98 VW Passat that is swirled and oxidized like crazy. When I found out he got a black car, I was very excited and wanted to go to his garage immediately to check out the paints condition. When I saw the paints condition, I told him immediately that I wanted to detail his car for him and try to see how good I can make it look. He asked me how much I wanted to be paid, and being a good friend to him for a long time, I told him that all I want is 10 hours with the car on a Saturday sometime and some of his help and a case of beer for us to split during the loooooonnnnggg day.

I am in the middle of moving to a new home right now so I won`t be able to do his car until April but I am already thinking about how I am going to try to make his car look black again. I really think that this car has the potential to be an extreme detail contest entry.

So, have any of you ever offered to detail a car for literally nothing just because you think it will be a challenge to bring the paint back to life? Or do you all think I am crazy?

Post Thanks / Like
    I don`t think you are crazy at all. I have detailed my my families cars for free as practice.
    Insert witty quip here...

Shawn

Post Thanks / Like
    I have detaild for fun many times, in fact I have only charged one or two people in my life. I have also made some interesting trades...... lets just leave it at that

Supernintendo Chalmers
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have three female roommates (no knock to the ladies) who could care less about their car`s appearance. I use their sleds as mules for various products because I know there is no chance of testing interference.

That`s 30% of it. Mostly, I just can`t stand seeing cars nicer than mine in such bad shape.

I also maintain my parents` fleet but when you factor in my undergrad tuition, I`m paid pretty well for those jobs
    Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand.

Post Thanks / Like
    I maintain my mom`s Concorde, and I`ve done my neighbor`s cars for free, even though they insisted on giving me $40 each for my work on them.
    Paul...

`13 Mazda3i P21S/WG sealant/Paste Glaz/QD+
    `99 Mazda Protege LX - highlight silver - RIP
    `95 Nissan Maxima SE - white - slathered with Pinnacle Paste Glaz - RIP

it was my first time...
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by thinksnow

I also maintain my parents` fleet but when you factor in my undergrad tuition, I`m paid pretty well for those jobs

plus a car and insurance payments; i`m indebted to detailing my parent`s cars for quite a long time.

I detail family/friend`s cars for free or next to nothing. I guess thats what seperates us amateurs from the pros who run businesses.

Post Thanks / Like
    I take care of my parent`s cars for free, even though they do try to pay me.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    I give away details to people that I know for special occasions to bait them in. It works most of the time that they decide to spoil themselves and kiss the local tunnel wash goodbye.
    Triple Honda Owner

Post Thanks / Like
    I always did cars for my family for free, and I`ve done a few for friends too. They`re never all that bad though.

But the real "back from the dead" details are the ones I`ve done for EuroCar Service in Norton, OH. I like the family that runs the place, so a few times I`ve done an extreme make-over job on Audi loaners that I felt sorry for. They`ve done right by me, so I figure it`s the least I can do.

I did do a real bang-up job on the Cadillac rental we had after Accumulatorette`s S4 got rearended. But that was a purely selfish decision, I just wanted to do their White Diamond paint

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m doing free and heavily discounted details right now while I`m learning the finer points of the PC.

Even made a trade for an OBDII scan- pretty good deal.
    `01 Sentra SE
    Calgary Sports Car Club #406 DSS

Post Thanks / Like
    Both of my Extreme Detail entries were "practice" cars.

Post Thanks / Like
    PrinzII, after those "practice cars" you should be ready and able to tackle anything.
    Insert witty quip here...

Shawn

Post Thanks / Like
    The Camaro I posted as my first "click and brag" was for free just to see what I could do with black paint. I tinted a car tonite for some friends at church. The whole time I was tinting, I was thinking about what pads and products to use on their 2002 black Accord, whose paint has been severely neglected. I almost polished the car just so I didn`t have to look at the water spots, swirls, light scratches, marring, and otherwise chalkboard-appearance any longer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Friends and family cars are free.... well, not exactly when you factor that they usually feed me and my kids... and I eat a lot! Did I mention they also get the drinks?

Thread Information