Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    There was a previous thread about removing the airbag stickers from visors. There were some good suggestions including WD-40, Goof Off, heat, etc.

Well, I tried all those things and only managed to make the sticker look worse. At one point I thought maybe I could sand off the lamination so that the solvent could get to the glue. It turns out that the stickers on my car aren`t paper at all, they are plastic all the way through.

By now the sticker was really looking bad so I decided all I could do was just keep on sanding until the sticker was gone. I used 220 grit and 320 grit wet/dry paper with the final sanding being wet. Once I was done sanding I put on some Zaino polish to put a little shine back on the plastic.

Note that my visor stickers were on the mirror vanity covers (hard plastic), not the soft visor material. It took me 2 days to figure out how to get the sticker off of the drivers side. Once I had the routine down it took about 45 minutes to do the passenger side.

Post Thanks / Like
    Can I ask why you wanted to remove them?

Curious.

Post Thanks / Like
    hmmmm, I don`t think you are supposed to remove those stickers. Federal Law states they must be there. Depending on your state laws if you take your car in for a state inspection your car could fail if the warnings are not in place.

Not saying that`s your case, but it`s possible.
    Taking my signature to it`s MAXIMUM POTENTIAL

Post Thanks / Like
    You could fail for that?? Who`s really checking that closely anyhow? If that`s true, I never saw that picture...
    Jorge
    00 BMW 328CI

Post Thanks / Like
    Dave,

It`s possible, it depends on your state laws and your states requirements for vehicle inspection.
    Taking my signature to it`s MAXIMUM POTENTIAL

Post Thanks / Like
    The stickers are on both the top and bottom of both visors. The ones I removed are on the top. I still don`t know how I can get the lower ones off because they are on the soft vinyl. Technically, I guess you could say there are still stickers on the visors.

The ones that show when the visor is in the up position are still visible. The ones that you would see when the visor was down were the most annoying because with the visor down they are about 6 inches in front of your eyes and they are red, yellow, white and black.

I generally keep my cars for 10 years. By then I hope this sticker issue is old news. It`s sort of like all those speedometers that have "55" in huge numerals.

Post Thanks / Like
    <blockquote class=`ipsBlockquote` >

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by ShowroomLincoln [/i]
    <strong class=`bbc`>Dave,

It`s possible, it depends on your state laws and your states requirements for vehicle inspection. [/b]</blockquote>I`m in MA, I don`t need to say anything more...Thanks Showroom... just remembered your real name.
    Jorge
    00 BMW 328CI

Post Thanks / Like
    I have or had a set of the same type of labels on my car. I left the ones on the hidden side but the ones that are visible with the visors up were just a bit of an eye sore to me. I removed mine with rubbing alcohol. Just blot the sticker a few times with a rubbing alcohol soaked towel and then start at a corner and rub. It takes about a minute but it will slowly begin to peel at the corner. Once started, the whole thing will slowly peel all the way off. Nice clean removal and no sanding or real hard scrubbing involved. Pics in my sig. Just in case anybody was thinking taking theirs off also.
    2001 V6 GLS Passat, Indigo blue, 2xAIO/5xSG

My Ride

Post Thanks / Like
    <blockquote class=`ipsBlockquote` >

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by Guess My Name [/i]
    <strong class=`bbc`>Can I ask why you wanted to remove them?

Curious. [/b]</blockquote>
    I am the same way. I take those ugly things off before the car cools down from the trip home from the dealership!

But I would never touch those tags on my mattresses and pillows!
    The Stable
    2017 Audi TTS
    2014 Porsche Carrera S
    2017 Porsche Macan GTS
    1996 Porsche Carrera 4S

Post Thanks / Like
    :up

Hey ru1thirst, good explanation! I tried the alcohol trick before, but I didn`t know that I really needed to rub it in. Now I got the sticker off of the front of the driver side. It`s getting too dark to work, but I`ll finish the passenger side tomorrow. Thanks again!

Post Thanks / Like
    What about fabric visors? I have a felt type material for my visor, not vinyl, and it almost looks/acts like the sticker is `ironed` onto the visor.

Any clues on getting that one off?
    2004 Chrysler T&C Platinum Series - Brilliant Black

2009 Hyundai Sonata - Black

Post Thanks / Like
    Tiger, good to hear it worked out for you. The soaking takes it bit of time but it does a good job of loosening that ugly thing right off the visor.

Grimmster, I`ve never had to deal with a fabric visor and stickers so not any help here.
    2001 V6 GLS Passat, Indigo blue, 2xAIO/5xSG

My Ride

CCH Auto Appearance, LLC C. Charles Hahn's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    they are ironed on, there is no way to effectively get them off..... they will leave a mark there which is even more unsightly than having the stickers there.....

Post Thanks / Like
    I would not risk doing damage to the visor, especially if they are on the inside that you don`t see when the visor is up.
    Fmr Nascar,Arca & USAC driver

96 Mitsu GST
    02 Vette Z06
    03 S2000

Post Thanks / Like
    Thakns for the info SLPCar Luvr. I figured as much. c240 they are on the outside. The part that is ALWAYS visable wen the visor is in the normal up position. Guess I will go with my secondary route which is a plaque cover to go over the sticker
    2004 Chrysler T&C Platinum Series - Brilliant Black

2009 Hyundai Sonata - Black

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information