Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cavallino 2010

Post Thanks / Like
    I have been using the Zaino system on my silver 330i since I picked it up new in May. I have about 7 coats of Z2, 3 coats of Z5 and 2 coats of Z1 on it. My car is super slick, beads water like crazy, and has a very reflective shine. I also love the ease of use. It is so easy to apply and remove. So now you may ask why would I even want to try Klasse? Well, I am looking for a deeper shine. I know that it may not be possible on a silver car, but I have used Blitz by itself on a silver Lexus before and it was noticeably more glossy, deeper and wetter looking. Also, my car is still new and I really don`t mind waxing monthly or even more often. So right now it doesn`t matter if the Klasse is not as durable as Zaino as some have suggested.

So my questions are these. Should I apply Klasse to half of the hood? Half of the trunk? Or maybe the whole trunk? I am planning on going with AIOx2 then SGx2 then Blitz. Should I apply the SG with a wet applicator or dry? Any other Klasse tips? I will be happy to post my results and pics when this experiment is done. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    How about trying another experiment for yourself and us instead?? Instead of stripping all your Zaino, try a blitz topper on it and take pictures/tell us what happened!

This is DEFINITELY something nobody here has tried (or talked about it if they have tried it) and it would be interesting to see how things turn out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Why not try that first, and post the results. Do the trunk or something with before and after pictures. You could always wash the Blitz off with a bit of Dawn later - shouldn`t strip any Zaino if done carefully.

If I had some Blitz, I would try this myself on my wife`s car.
    2002 Torch Red Corvette convertible

1997 Red/Tan Expedition

1993 Red Eclipse (wife`s)

Zaino - tried it...loved it.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have experimented a lot with Klasse, Zaino and various carnubas on my two silver cars. I don`t think you will get the difference you are looking for by switching to Klasse. Zaino will enhance the existing color. Klasse will too, to a somewhat lesser extent.

I like Klasse a lot but I think that if you go from Zaino to Klasse you will be disapointed in the results. (Not that a Klasse finish is inferior, it`s just that it will not provide the results you seem to want.) It will still have a subjectively great shine but you will lose some of the tactile slickness Zaino offers.

If you want a different look I would suggest you try different carnubas. The carnubas will, after several coats, start to tint the color of the car. Carnubas are not optically clear. It will be a slightly different look the success of which is subjective. Personally, I like the Pinnacle Souveran with Pinnacle Paste Glaz topper on my silver Boxster.
    The Stable
    2017 Audi TTS
    2014 Porsche Carrera S
    2017 Porsche Macan GTS
    1996 Porsche Carrera 4S

Post Thanks / Like
    One thing that I have noticed is that several coats of Klasse seems to darken the color of my car a bit. It is VERY noticeable. As I`ve mentioned earlier, my car color is a type of silver-grey. Well after 6 or 7 coats of the Klasse Sealant Glaze (with no carnauba topper over the last 5 months or so) my color was definitely GREY. There was no hint or clue of silver at all. My sterling mist had become a true grey! When I drove to the dealership and looked at the sterling mist colors of the 2002 Maximas, wow what a difference. This is when I said to myself let me try some Zaino and see if I can maintain the original color as much as possible.

I should report that it was very difficult to get the Klasse off. Rumors of Klasse not being durable are just that, rumors. Klasse is very durable and beads like crazy when on my car. At any rate, I tried removing the grey color with 2 coats of 3M SMR and that didn`t completely do it. It was still noticeably more grey than the 2002 models. I decided to try 2 car washes with Isopropyl alcohol. This seemed to do the trick. I`m pleased to report that my car color is back to its near original color. It is once again Sterling Mist. I kind of liked the silver color that it originally had. So consider this in your decision. Several coats of Klasse should darken your silver car a bit. And Brad is absolutely correct, a carnauba topper will also help change or darken the color a bit as well.

If I were you I would just work on one panel, perhaps the passenger door and just do that. Decide for yourself after only one panel if you like the results. Yes, the Zaino is slicker and I like the way it preserves the color that I truly want. Now for darker colored cars, I still prefer Klasse though but that`s a different story. Hope this gives you some food for thought. Laters.

Post Thanks / Like
    Don,

If you have a lot of layers on your car, do you think it would be easier to use AIO to strip all the SG and wax, and then wash with Isopropyl alcohol? That way you only have to get rid of the 1 layer of AIO, and not all the layers of SG and wax along with it

This would be the plan:

1.AIO (to remove all the layers of SG and wax)

2.Isopropyl alcohol wash or abrasive to remove the AIO

Just a thought.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have not found a product yet that can match the slickness, water beading and ease of use of Zaino. Sometimes on a zaino`ed car it does take a few coats to obtain that satisfying shine to people like us that are very demanding and picky. Silver is a tough color. I suggest you play around with some carnubas if you don`t care about durability. They will tint the car color and add a coat of oil to the surface and change the way the shine is expressed. Some people prefer this shine, and you might find something that you like. Zaino preserves the original and actual color of the paint. It has high optics and tends to preserve the look of fresh paint. You are giving up a lot of other qualities though, by switching from zaino to a carnuba. I am using KLASSe on my dad`s silver/blue caddy and it did seem to darken the color a bit. It looks nice, and has a very reflective shine. Most forum members here like KLASSE for dark colored cars, so I would think if you are staying with polymers, stick with zaino on your silver. Don`t you like how it "glows" at night?!

Post Thanks / Like
    Ideally, I would have used Pinnacle Paintwork Cleansing Lotion. But I`m all out and didn`t want to spend the $20 for a 1 time use. As per the AIO question, I`m not totally convinced that it is a better product to strip off the layers than SMR is. I think the AIO is a bit more aggressive than the SMR. At least that`s what I found to be true when I used it on my aunt`s beater Ford pickup. I always try to use a milder product. I spoke with Brad B, Sal, and DK and they all suggested the SMR over the AIO for this task. Laters.

Post Thanks / Like
    just for kicks, and report back. Thanks everyone for the input.

Post Thanks / Like
    if the Klasse will darken my silver ever so slightly I think I will give it a try. I have had several people tell me that they thought my car was white from a distance.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well if you do want to go ahead and try the Klasse, just remember that you really get this darkening effect after multiple coats. And trust me you will get it. Laters.

Post Thanks / Like
    so if one would remove the AIO and KSG completely without SMR or Isoprophyl Alcohol, will one or two applications of PPCL adequate to completely remove AIO and several coats of KSG?

Post Thanks / Like

Cavallino 2010

It`s that time. 3 down already. Now I am a week away from the show and have six more to go... Ferraris that is. Will try to post updates and pics as time allows. Today is a f355, pretty easy so far. M105 making it too easy (almost).
    Back to work.
    Oh yeah, where the hell is Username?

Post Thanks / Like
    Don`t deprive us, post some pics man :
    Steve

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

AMG Classic Car Detailing Old Pirate's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Think Username found the girl in his avatar.....................:wizard:
    AutopiaForums is the place to be.
    Remember to Shop Autopia-CarCare.com for your Detailing Needs!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information