Post Thanks / Like

Question How Much Should *I* Charge The Body Shop?

Well, this isn`t something you see everyday... a month and a half ago, I was rear ended. The damage to my Explorer, my baby, was minimal. Only the bumper and the hitch needed to be replaced. I took it to a body shop in a very nice area of town that`s known for good work. They do all the work for the local Porsche and Infinity dealerships, so I figured they could handle my 9 year old Ford Explorer. I`m very picky with it, and therefore, it still looks and drives like new.

The body shop had a problem getting the correct hitch, so I had to come back a week after I picked up the vehicle to have the new hitch installed. Before bringing it back, I realized they didn`t paint the rear trim piece which they were paid to do. There was only a small section of paint missing from where the bumper hit it, but it was still supposed to be done. I brought this to their attention, and they asked if I`d accept a refund. Since I`d already turned in the rental car, I agreed.

They installed the new hitch, but instead of reattaching the trailer wiring harness to a mount, they simply zip tied it to the hitch. I didn`t realize this till a few days later when I was getting ready to tow my trailer.

Also, when I picked up the Explorer the first time, they`d washed it for me. It was a nice gesture, but they obviously had someone wash it that didn`t know how to wash or dry a vehicle, especially a black one like mine. There were minor swirls all over the vehicle. They were minor, but they were there, and non existed before.

In light of everything, I decided to write a complaint letter to the owner of the shop. About a week later, he called me to apologize. He said he`d researched everything, and had already driven to a trailer supply store and bought a mount for me. He insisted that I bring the vehicle in, let them fix the trailer wiring mount, paint the trim piece, and detail the vehicle to get the swirls out. He even offered to put me up in a rental for the 30 hours they`d have the vehicle.

I went to pick up the Explorer this morning, and everything looked good. They got the swirls out, but that was about all they did to the paint. Needless to say, I wasn`t impressed with the results. As I was about to leave, I notice paint missing from the railing on the roof. I showed the service adviser and suggested it was from the buffer. He said that was impossible, and that, if anything, it might be from the tape. He checked the pictures from when the SUV was originally brought in (to make sure it wasn`t preexisting). He then told me that he was going to check to see if there was any tape used on that part, and if there wasn`t, then he couldn`t accept liability from it, cause there was no way it was from the buffer. It was making me upset that he was worried about accepting liability on such a minor problem, especially since the pictures showed it was NOT preexisting.

The GM came out with the service adviser and the detailer, and they applied a piece of tape to the roof rail. Sure enough, it removed some paint. I told them that whenever I waxed it, I used blue painters tape and NEVER had a problem. This is where they got a little defensive. He said that on a vehicle of that age, if they fixed the roof rails, something else would probably mess up. I found this almost funny because this was the only problem that was even possibly caused by the vehicles age. Everything else was because of their negligence. So after bantering back and forth with them, I told them not to worry about it and that I`d take care of it. They said send them a receipt and they`d cover it, and they thought that was the best option (because they didn`t want to deal with it anymore).

So here`s my question: I`m going to sand it and repaint it, and charge them for the materials and the labor. What does everyone think is a good hourly price on the labor?

Thanks in advance, and sorry the post was so long. I just wanted to make sure I covered everything.
    2000 Black Eddie Bauer Explorer
    "Detailing Isn`t Expensive... It`s Priceless."

IOWA BOY
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: How Much Should *I* Charge The Body Shop?

Well if my mmemory is correct on the rail they a different kind of metal. Its kind of like the rear corners on GM product that goes from the hatch glass to the side glass. It discolors and only cleans up somewhat better with polishing. Does the metal underneath on the Explorers top rail look kind of aluminum like? If it is, it is more difficult to keep the paint on the part for many years. could the primer wont stay adhered to the metal. Ive seen something like this but I dont know what to do to redo or prevent it from happening.

Post Thanks / Like

The only way it would be "impossible" as the service advisor put it, was if they didn`t use a buffer/polisher on the vehicle.

You could always price a new rail, and see if they`d cover that. I`m thinking to paint something like that, they`d charge you a couple hundred bucks.
    I still don`t believe in grit guards.

Post Thanks / Like

So here`s my question: I`m going to sand it and repaint it, and charge them for the materials and the labor. What does everyone think is a good hourly price on the labor?

A good hourly rate would be what ever the rate was that you were charged at the offending shop. If they complain that its too high it kind of puts them in a bad light dosen`t it. Personally I would repair it on my own and cut ties with this shop. Sometimes its not worth the aggravation . Keep in mind that it wasn`t done right the first time , so would it be any different the second. Just an old mans 2 cents.

...................... .............. Paul S

Post Thanks / Like

If the rail is made of aluminum it requires a special primer otherwise the paint will peel off.
    If you attempt to paint it yourself go to a auto paint store and get the special primer needed.

Post Thanks / Like

I`m not 100% sure if it`s aluminum, but it looks as if it is. I think my plan at this point is to sand it and paint it myself, charge them for the materials, and then charge them say, $50 an hour for labor. I think that`s around their hourly rate. And thanks for the heads up on the special primer... I`ll make sure to get it!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Specialized_Det View Post
    I`m not 100% sure if it`s aluminum, but it looks as if it is. I think my plan at this point is to sand it and paint it myself, charge them for the materials, and then charge them say, $50 an hour for labor. I think that`s around their hourly rate. And thanks for the heads up on the special primer... I`ll make sure to get it!
    Hold a magnet on the bare metal it will NOT STICK if it is aluminum
    You should be able to get the primer in a aerosol can.

Post Thanks / Like

Surprisingly it`s not aluminum...

Thread Information