Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: National Anthem

Post Thanks / Like

National Anthem

I was at the Knicks game last night with my son. When they asked everyone to rise and remove their hat I was really surprised how many people don`t remove their hats, and a smaller percentage don`t even stand.

What happened. I remember going to game with my Dad and if you were not quiet, the crowd let you have it.
    Likes ShakingHorizons, RaskyR1, Stokdgs liked this post
    Thanks ShakingHorizons thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: National Anthem

Times have changed.....and not for the better......I go to a local dirt track several times a year...when the National Anthem is played there, you get your a$$ kicked if you leave your hat on or do not stand

Post Thanks / Like

It`s just the era that we live in. Lack of respect for one`s country and lack of patriotism is something that is earned by young people from their elders, regardless of who they are. Today "individualism" and "inclusiveness" is taught and if you do not honor that, you are a person-hater. So if some young person does not wish to honor America and acts like silly or would rather text on a smart-phone during the National Anthem, we as a society allow it, almost to the point of condoning it. Some even view it as their right of freedom of expression. Few realize that that "freedom" is because of the hard-fought service given by those who have defended those freedoms from groups who hate what we as Americans represent. Few also realize that with freedom comes responsibility, and with responsibility are consequences for one`s actions. Part of it is the lack of corrective actions by parents and elders of our young people, and I am not talking just a "timeout". We no longer condone mild physical correction of any sort and view it as child abuse and inhibiting someone`s self-esteem. Solomon`s proverb from the Bible of "spare the rod, spoil the child" is one this nation`s educational and parenting society could learn from. I think we would do well as a nation to again include the "Pledge of Allegiance" in the morning in our public and private school`s classroom. That`s where I learned respect and patriotism from, even if I am "old school" (literally!). Again paraphrasing Solomon`s proverb is "Train up a child when (they are) young, and (they) will not depart from it." In the 1950`s the nation`s legislators chose to add the words "under God" to the Pledge of Allegiance. Now there are those who want to take it out. Perhaps it is time to re-learn from history of what this nation was founded on and that the principles taught in the Bible are still relevant and necessary for the survival and continuance of this country we call America and the flag that it represents. As stated, respect is something earned (no it`s not a typo for "learned"; I do mean earned) and taught to our young people that filters down to successive generations. Has it been lost in you as a reader of this post within this forum? Something to think about.
    GB detailer
    Likes Ronkh, Tat2d, davidc, JSFM35X, Stokdgs and 1 others liked this post
    Thanks Ronkh, davidc, Stokdgs, House of Wax thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
    It`s just the era that we live in. Lack of respect for one`s country and lack of patriotism is something that is learned by young people from their elders, regardless of who they are. Today "individualism" and "inclusiveness" is taught and if you do not honor that, you are a person-hater. So if some young person does not wish to honor America and acts like silly or would rather text on a smart-phone during the National Anthem, we as a society allow it, almost to the point of condoning it. Some even view it as their right of freedom of expression. Few realize that that "freedom" is because of the hard-fought service given by those who have defended those freedoms from groups who hate what we as Americans represent. Few also realize that with freedom comes responsibility, and with responsibility are consequences for one`s actions. Part of it is the lack of corrective actions by parents and elders of our young people, and I am not talking just a "timeout". We no longer condone mild physical correction of any sort and view it as child abuse and inhibiting someone`s self-esteem. Solomon`s proverb from the Bible of "spare the rod, spoil the child" is one this nation`s educational and parenting society could learn from. I think we would do well as a nation to again include the "Pledge of Allegiance" in the morning in our public and private school`s classroom. That`s were I learned respect and patriotism from, even if I am "old school" (literally!). Again paraphrasing Solomon`s proverb is "Train up a child when (they are) young, and (they) will not depart from it." In the 1950`s the nation`s legislators chose to add the words "under God" to the Pledge of Allegiance. Now there are those who want to take it out. Perhaps it is time to re-learn from history of what this nation was founded on and that the principles taught in the Bible are still relevant and necessary for the survival and continuance of this country we call America and the flag that it represents. As stated, respect is something earned (no it`s not a typo for "learned"; I do mean earned) and taught to our young people that filters down to successive generations. Has it been lost in you as a reader of this post within this forum? Something to think about.
    Just to add to that.......

"Freedom is not free."
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!
    Likes davidc, JSFM35X, Stokdgs liked this post
    Thanks davidc, BadgerRivFan, Lonnie thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Some will question my above post as "how does a casual observation and post on the National Anthem become something to include God and quotes from the Bible? Don`t push YOUR morality or beliefs on me" That said, I would think that those individuals would like to be treated fairly, honestly, and with respect. I learned that from a quote that was on my public elementary school classrooms` front wall in grades 1 thru 6: "Do unto others as you would have others do unto you." Guess where that comes from? If you don`t know, Google it.
    GB detailer
    Likes davidc, Ronkh, Stokdgs liked this post
    Thanks davidc thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Being a Veteran people that do not honor/respect the Flag, National Anthem and their Fore Fathers that gave them the rights they have really PI***S me off. I see your everyday citizen, sports players etc. not going through the traditional gestures all the time.

Dave
    Likes Ronkh, BadgerRivFan, House of Wax liked this post
    Thanks ShakingHorizons, House of Wax thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

davidc - We fought for their freedom NOT to stand and take their hats off. Its sad but true, they have the right NOT to do those things if they choose not to. It is not a broken law.
    Don

1989 Formula 350
    2004 Saturn Ion Quadcoupe
    Likes Ronkh liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dcjredline View Post
    davidc - We fought for their freedom NOT to stand and take their hats off. Its sad but true, they have the right NOT to do those things if they choose not to. It is not a broken law.
    Very true....... But by the same token, when those freedoms that were fought so hard for disappear, they will understand.
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

They do not know any better. Maybe there is an iphone app to remind you.

Al
    The Need to Bead

Post Thanks / Like

Ironically those are the same kids that are demanding not to hear offensive speech, and demand "safe zones"
    Likes Stokdgs, House of Wax liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Those kids piss me off. Okay, I`m stopping before I go off on some rant.

Post Thanks / Like

As a millennial (don`t stone me!) I don`t know where people started getting soft. Part of me thinks that with all the technology you can put in front of a kid to not have to watch them and thus reducing your actual parenting has definitely had an impact. And I think physical reprimanding is so rare these days because any time a parent smacks their kids hand or bottom, others start crying child abuse, but telling a kid no will only go so far. Growing up, if we got out of line you didn`t just get a stern talking to, you got punished with a slap on the hand, a spanking or put in a corner, depending on what happened. I even had to literally wash my mouth with soap for cussing as a child, and you bet I never did that again! But more and more parents feel bad for their kid when they have to discipline them and also refuse to believe their child ever does anything wrong, so they start being their friend and not a parent. And as a parent now I look back at all the crap me and my friends used to do and while nothing was too bad, we were far from perfect and definitely had moments where we deserved a whooping ha.
    Likes GearHead_1, Ronkh, davidc, Stokdgs, Lonnie and 1 others liked this post
    Thanks GearHead_1, davidc thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Even back when I was growing up, there were kids who wouldn`t show respect for the Anthem or the Pledge of Allegiance (or other Cultural Totems). Punishing them for their lack of respect always made them even *less* respectful, and more resentful. The punishment was simply counterproductive and IMO the [adults] should`ve approached it differently.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, they have the right but it is still disgusting to me to not honor the lives that gave it to them. Is that to much to ask ?

Dave
    Likes Stokdgs, House of Wax liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Unfortunately, if we enjoy our freedom of expression, we must honor others even if it is personally abhorrent.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information