Post Thanks / Like
    What a blast! Took a SigSauer all day course. Our instructor was a SWAT team leader for about 20 years, and has worked with the FBI on many different investigations. Basically, the first six hours they spent going over the basics, laws, etc. Last two hours they took us into their in door range and we got to shoot. We shot a Sig P226 9MM.

But man they were telling us some of the laws. The course itself is in NH, where you can EASILY get your license to carry, very easy. However, I am from Boston and the police chiefs here are the ones who decide who can get their licenses. MA is SO screwed when it comes to the gun license laws, it sucks.

So I am going to wait till I am 21 (two months away) and then go to the police station and try to get an either Class A/Class B license, then wait a year and try to get a license to carry. I really liked the P226`s we shot, but I think I am looking for something more like a P220. The 226`s we shot didn`t have a safety for some reason? Also not sure if I want a dual action, or single action. We were using dual actions and those felt pretty comfortable. So I think a nice dual action P220 would go nice for home protection, and the occasional shooting range.

And after today, I think the words "Keep your finger off the trigger" are permanently embedded into my brain :chuckle:

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats for shooting the first time. Where abouts did you end up going? The guns you shot were probably used and were carried by the police previously, hence the lack of safety.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by budman3
    Congrats for shooting the first time. Where abouts did you end up going? The guns you shot were probably used and were carried by the police previously, hence the lack of safety.

Sigarms Academy up in Exeter NH. Absolutely loved it. I`m looking for a 9MM for myself, don`t know what kind to get though. Also a little confused on how to tell if a gun is SA/DA, or single action or just dual action.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice man. Was this indoor range kind of like a test course facility where people pop out like in the movie Men in Black? That would be pretty fun.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by evenflow
    Sigarms Academy up in Exeter NH. Absolutely loved it. I`m looking for a 9MM for myself, don`t know what kind to get though. Also a little confused on how to tell if a gun is SA/DA, or single action or just dual action.

Single Action/Double Action

Reason I prefer this is because `double action only` has a heavy trigger pull for the first round because you`re actually cocking the hammer back with the trigger, as double action requires this)(being a safety in itself) but the subsequent shots have a light trigger pull. You may miss the first shot because of the heavy pull, and the lighter shots after that are just weird IMO. Many police will tellyou the same. DAO is probably better for the untrained shooter, but if you can get better at trigger pull and control you`ll like the single action/double action because you can have both.

Besides, is the first round not the most important?

From Wiki

Trigger (firearms - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

""Double action/Single action (DA/SA)

A double action/single action firearm combines the features of both mechanisms. Often called traditional double action, these terms apply almost exclusively to semi-automatic handguns.[3] The function of this trigger mechanism is identical to a DA revolver. However, the firing mechanism automatically cocks the hammer or striker after the gun is fired. This mechanism will cock and release the hammer when the hammer is in the down position but on each subsequent shot, the trigger will function as a single action.[3] The Mateba Autorevolver is a hybrid revolver that functions on a DA/SA system. However, it is different in function than either a conventional revolver or semi-automatic pistol. The H&K USP is a good example of a DA/SA semi-automatic pistol. On many DA/SA pistols (including the USP) there is the option to cock the hammer before the first shot is fired. This removes the heavy pull of the double-action. Also, there is often a de-cocker to return the pistol to double-action.""

Are you strong? Can you handle a .45 ACP or .40 Cal?

Don`t bother with a 9mm if you cna handle the .45 in particular, probably the best self defense round available. .40 is also good, but I feel the higher velocity, better penetration, and snappier recoil has a better place in law enforcement. Although the differences are so small, you`d be fine with either.

9mm lacks punch IMO, even if you get more rounds on target.

Anyways, I prefer the H&K USP in both .40 and .45(tad bit wider) for professional use.(the USP was unique in it`s design in that it was designed from the ground up as a .40, while almost no other pistols are made this way, reducing their effectiveness in many aspects such as wear, recoil(it has an amazing recoil reduction system, you`ll LOVE it) and just durability is astounding. Read up on the USP and it`s endurance tests)The USP is good if you have large hands.

Also, the Sig 220 or variants - which you seem to have tried out.

The reason the sig didn`t have a safety is probably because it was a double action only, no safety. Here`s a good illustration of the USP variants... Check out the graphic at the bottom.

HKPRO: The USP9 and .40

I`ve always wondered why some departments issued these, but the real professional officers would use their single actions.
    Portland, OR

Post Thanks / Like
    ...hence the lack of safety.

the 226 is all business the only safty is your finger

Post Thanks / Like
    Shooting is great, isn`t it? Get ready to spend a lot of money on ammo!

I like Sigs a lot but be sure you check out some other handguns before making your decision. I would suggest checking out the Springfield XD9 service model (love mine) and Glock 17 in particular.

Something to remember: The difference in diameter between a 9mm and .45 round is something like a tenth of an inch or less. Of course the difference between 9mm and .40 is even smaller. All three are good rounds, but people make way too big of a deal over it. Pick a round you feel comfortable shooting and you can afford to practice with.

FWIW, my department issues Sig P220s and I looooooove them. I also own a Sig Mosquito, which is basically a P226 that`s 10% smaller and chambered in .22lr and it`s probably the most fun handgun I`ve ever fired. Sigs are great weapons.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Frito Bandito
    Something to remember: The difference in diameter between a 9mm and .45 round is something like a tenth of an inch or less. Of course the difference between 9mm and .40 is even smaller.

.45ACP

230 gr (15 g) Hydra-Shok JHP 900 ft/s (270 m/s) 414 ft·lbf (561 J)

9mm Nato

7.5 g (116 gr) FMJ 360 m/s (1,200 ft/s) 483 J (356 ft·lbf)

.40 S&W

155 gr (10.0 g) JHP 1,140 ft/s (350 m/s) 447 ft·lbf (606 J)

Interesting fact-

"This common 45 load has approximately 3/4 of the 9mm`s velocity but with twice the bullet weight…and about 60% greater frontal area."

All three are good rounds, but people make way too big of a deal over it. Pick a round you feel comfortable shooting and you can afford to practice with.

People ignore this all too often.
    Portland, OR

Post Thanks / Like
    I also own a Sig Mosquito, which is basically a P226 that`s 10% smaller and chambered in .22lr and it`s probably the most fun handgun I`ve ever fired.

I`ve been thinking of getting one of those lately - glad to hear you love it. With the price of ammo these days, I gotta get a .22 just to keep the range costs down.

Has your girlfriend/wife/etc shot it? I`m also looking for something my sister can shoot (she`s afraid of the 30-30) and I`m wondering how the ergonomics would work for someone on the smaller size range.
    Once you buff black, you never go back

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by charlesaferg
    .45ACP

230 gr (15 g) Hydra-Shok JHP 900 ft/s (270 m/s) 414 ft·lbf (561 J)

9mm Nato

7.5 g (116 gr) FMJ 360 m/s (1,200 ft/s) 483 J (356 ft·lbf)

.40 S&W

155 gr (10.0 g) JHP 1,140 ft/s (350 m/s) 447 ft·lbf (606 J)

Interesting fact-

"This common 45 load has approximately 3/4 of the 9mm`s velocity but with twice the bullet weight…and about 60% greater frontal area."

People ignore this all too often.

I have Corbon 125 grain JHPs in my XD9 that generate 434 ft lbs of energy. Can`t really compare Nato spec ammo with defensive loads. Anyway, I think the thing to remember is that we`re talking about pistols here.

Quote Originally Posted by themightytimmah
    I`ve been thinking of getting one of those lately - glad to hear you love it. With the price of ammo these days, I gotta get a .22 just to keep the range costs down.

Has your girlfriend/wife/etc shot it? I`m also looking for something my sister can shoot (she`s afraid of the 30-30) and I`m wondering how the ergonomics would work for someone on the smaller size range.

I highly recommend the Mosquito! Even using Mini Mags I can get 300 rounds for what 100 rounds of 9mm would cost.

My chick shot it and she liked it just fine. She`s 5`2" and didn`t think the pistol was too big for her hands.

The thing I like the most about it is that it feels and handles like a full size handgun, making it a very useful training aid.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey,

Do you mind sending me a PM with the course info? I go to Babson, and would like to do a similar course as well.

THANKS!
    Windsor Auto Detail

Austin, TX

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by skitelluride531
    Hey,

Do you mind sending me a PM with the course info? I go to Babson, and would like to do a similar course as well.

THANKS!

SIGARMS Academy - personal protection and firearms training

follow that link

Also,

what can you people tell me about the Taurus PT11, and the Beretta 90-two

I will probably end up going with one of those models.

Post Thanks / Like
    1. Only go cheap when you find a good buy, deciding on what gun you want by price is a mistake

2. Shoot it before you buy it, if you can

I was a big time HK/Sig guy before I was issued a Glock...I`m a total convert, love my Glocks. I take them into battle with me 5 days a week

"Why do you shoot a 45?"

"Because they dont make a 46!" - Unknown

Thread Information