Voters
64. You may not vote on this poll
  • Blue Ray

49 76.56%
  • HD-DVD

15 23.44%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve been waiting for a year to jump into this market. Yet I am old enough to remember the VHS and BETA wars. VHS won out, but the BETA had a WAY better image quality. While I don`t think BR/HDDVD has a better image than the other. My worry is that one will be come the rental standard and the other won`t.

Cheers,

GREG
    Reflections Detailing of Utah
    "Detailing for the Discerning owner"
    State of Utahs most experienced detailing detailer
    Meguiars/Ford Detailing team SEMA 2010, 2011

duPont Registry Endorsed Detailer

Post Thanks / Like
    According to what I`ve read, BR has nearly already won, particularly with major studios now abandoning HDDVD. Here are some good articles... Hd Dvd - Gizmodo Toshiba is on its knees, and I think the format will be all but gone a year from now...

For the record, I have $0 invested in either format currently.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2003 G35 - protected & perfected with Zaino [Zaino, made for those who refuse to live in a world full of compromises]

Post Thanks / Like
    Ble-Ray will win this war in the end, it may take some time but were moving forward, PS3 alone was a BIG factor...get one. I have a pana br palyer I bought used and about 20 br discs since thanksgiving, I own about 150 dvds in regular format. FWIW:cooleek:

BTW-Nice avatar, but it would be a lil better if it were LSU Tigers ...
    1999 Trans Am Firehawk #157 LS1 Roadster

"Weekend Warrior just keeping my cars clean"

Club Flex Member

Post Thanks / Like
    The format war for all intensive purposes is over, and Blu-ray has won. They have the most studio support now, which is key.

I have owned both. I bought a Toshiba HD-XA1 player the day HD-DVD players were released. The picture and sound quality was amazing, and the player did a fantastic job of upconverting SD DVD`s. My biggest gripe was the agonizingly long load times and the flakeyness of the player. I had nothing but problems, with skips and lockups when viewing HD DVD`s from Netflix that were lightly to moderately scratched. I even had skipping problems (though, to a much lower extent) with brand new out of the package HD-DVD`s. But, I kept on, and was a firm supporter of HD-DVD, until Warner made the switch to Blu-Ray. I knew, that was the nail in the coffin for HD-DVD.

So, I bought a PS3 and could NOT be any happier. Blu-rays start playing in about 10-15 seconds, (compared to the 2+ minutes my HD-DVD player) which is wonderful. But, the real kicker for me was I have had absolutely NO skips, locks, etc whatsoever on the PS3. It plays all discs flawlessly. The coating on Blu-ray discs is extremely scratch resistant, so Netflix movies come to me in great condition, other than fingerprints which easily clean off.

Blu-ray seems much more consistent in picture quality to me over HD-DVD. Though, I would give my HD-DVD player a slight edge over the PS3 as far as upconverting SD DVD`s.

The PS3 for a Blu-ray player is fantastic and has so much more capabilities then just a Blu-ray player and game console.

I started watching Lost: Season 3 on Blu-ray this weekend, and the picture is absolutely amazing. It is by far the BEST picture quality I have ever seen on my TV. I truly does look like you are looking out a window, not a TV.

Post Thanks / Like
    I second getting the PS3 for all reasons mentioned in the previous posts. Awesome BD player that does a very good job of upconverting DVD`s as well as a AV media hub. Plays great games as well.
    Triple Honda Owner

Post Thanks / Like
    BR all the way! More studios support it, and IMO, better quality. A dedicated BR player is the way to go (better picture quality than using the PS3 for that purpose).

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by detaildoc
    BR all the way! More studios support it, and IMO, better quality. A dedicated BR player is the way to go (better picture quality than using the PS3 for that purpose).

PS3 is the *only* 2.0 spec machine out there. Saying that a dedicated player would be better is splitting hairs.
    Triple Honda Owner

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SpoiledMan
    PS3 is the *only* 2.0 spec machine out there. Saying that a dedicated player would be better is splitting hairs.

On the newer HD Tv`s you can see some difference, but you`re right, probably not that much. Two other reasons though to have a dedicated BR player is that it will allow you to enjoy more of the interactive functions (whenever they start making those) and more of the high HD surround sound (you would also need a HD sound capable receiver).

Post Thanks / Like
    blu-ray is a rip off

i`ll stick with HD DVD.. i`m confident they`ll eventually claim victorious over this war

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 1jzgte
    blu-ray is a rip off

i`ll stick with HD DVD.. i`m confident they`ll eventually claim victorious over this war

And you come to this conclusion how/why?

It`s a safe bet that HD-DVD is DONE! They can dump all the units they want at whatever price they want. The studio`s have spoken.
    Triple Honda Owner

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 1jzgte
    blu-ray is a rip off

Believe what you like, but the "war" is already over, check this thread in December and see who was correct. BTW-BR won.

And fwiw, good blu ray prices can be found here DeepDiscount.com - Blu-ray Discs
    1999 Trans Am Firehawk #157 LS1 Roadster

"Weekend Warrior just keeping my cars clean"

Club Flex Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Pretty good prices on Amazon as well.
    Triple Honda Owner

Post Thanks / Like
    One thing to keep in mind is that HD-DVD outsells Blue Ray worldwide. Even though the American movie companies seem to be dropping the HD-DVD format, worldwide sales could still tip the balance the other way.

AJ Auto Detail, LLC
    Post Thanks / Like
    blue ray won...
    AJ Auto Detail, LLC

Post Thanks / Like
    Blu-Ray definitely.

Just go to Wikipedia and check out the specs of it...amazing.

Plus, the video game developers are just now getting the hang of Blu-Ray code, meaning that the PS3 will have tremendous support over the next few years. It`s ridiculous!!!! Get the PS3 - great Blu-Ray player, web browser, and game console all for $499 (80G

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information