Post Thanks / Like
    Hi all..Does Klasse / SG offer decent UV protection here in the Florida sun?...any input?
    Lance

Florida USA

2000 Volvo S70,Silver/Black Leather

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes I am sure it has UV protection.. do not know the exact amount but enough to protect your paint.Some of the Klasse addicted people can probably tell you more.Take care:up

Post Thanks / Like
    Klasse, Zaino and other carnauba give you UV protection in the sense that they act as a sacrificial layer between the sun`s rays and your paint finish. However, synthetics such as Klasse, Zaino, Finish First, Meguiar`s #20 give you the most protection. No doubt about it. Laters

Post Thanks / Like

Lexan Windows - Yellow and Faded

Hey all,

I have someone asking about restoring yellow and faded lexan windows on a small aircraft. I haven`t done anything with lexan before so I came where I always do for good sound advise.
    What is the best method for bringing back the clarity without compromising the window strength and UV tolerance? ThxDirector

Post Thanks / Like
    As far as window strength, Lexan is about as tough as it gets! So you shouldn`t have to worry about any process weakening the windows...

As for cleanup, I would recommend the same process as we use on plastic headlight covers.

1. Wetsand with 400, 800, 1500, 2000
    2. Polish with M105/M205
    3. Seal with a good quality clear sealant

Test a small, unnoticeable area first.

If you`re not experienced with wet-sanding, you might want find some old beat up Lexan to practice on! (Maybe your local airfield owner knows where there are some old planes that are just sitting that you could practice on.)
    Bill Luster
    Specializing in Detailing Corvettes....:thumbup:

You`ve been given one life.
    Think about it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Bill ~
    All I have had to use so far to get decent results is the Meg`s PlastX and have use that on headlights and boat wind guards. But they haven`t been to bad really. What sealant would you recommend? With aircraft you want to use a product the is static resistant?
    Wetsand is not something I am experienced with at all, so I will seek out some practice subjects before I work on someones personal craft. should this be done by old fashion elbow grease? A bit nervous to move away from manual processes still.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Holly1176 View Post
    Thanks Bill ~
    All I have had to use so far to get decent results is the Meg`s PlastX and have use that on headlights and boat wind guards. But they haven`t been to bad really. What sealant would you recommend? With aircraft you want to use a product the is static resistant?
    Wetsand is not something I am experienced with at all, so I will seek out some practice subjects before I work on someones personal craft. should this be done by old fashion elbow grease? A bit nervous to move away from manual processes still.
    Are all the widows hazed up/brown tint?

Maybe a headlite restoration kit would work well for you. The only problem is I think you may run out of the sanding disk they provide. Maybe someone sells replacement pads, I dunno

Got any pics

Post Thanks / Like
    As described just yellow and faded. the request was by email so i am awaiting a reply to go and take a look. Will snap a couple pictures too.

Post Thanks / Like
    As described just yellow and faded. the request was by email so i am awaiting a reply to go and take a look. Will snap a couple pictures too.
    Director Cool Beans

Post Thanks / Like
    If you haven`t wet-sanded before, you need to practice a couple times on some other guinea pigs prior to doing an airplane!
    Bill Luster
    Specializing in Detailing Corvettes....:thumbup:

You`ve been given one life.
    Think about it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Luster View Post
    If you haven`t wet-sanded before, you need to practice a couple times on some other guinea pigs prior to doing an airplane!
    i absolutely agree!! My neighbor has a old scrap boat and I am welcome to practice on that to start. The windshield is caked with crap and full of swirls and scratches. Figure this is a good guinea pig. I won`t be getting to it right away but in a week or so I will be ready to start and taking pictures giving TID the opportunity for constructive critiquing. Wet-sanding - by hand or tool?

I will likely be picking up my first porter cable the end of next week too. leaning towards the 7424xp?

Just not sure if I should start with 6.5" or 5.5" pad set. So much to learn but really enjoying myself!:cornut:

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Luster View Post
    As far as window strength, Lexan is about as tough as it gets! So you shouldn`t have to worry about any process weakening the windows...

As for cleanup, I would recommend the same process as we use on plastic headlight covers.

1. Wetsand with 400, 800, 1500, 2000
    2. Polish with M105/M205
    3. Seal with a good quality clear sealant

Test a small, unnoticeable area first.

If you`re not experienced with wet-sanding, you might want find some old beat up Lexan to practice on! (Maybe your local airfield owner knows where there are some old planes that are just sitting that you could practice on.)
    I canvassed a few of the local airfields and had no luck. One of the people I spoke to suggested I call a local motor cycle / snowmobile salvage and low and behold they have tons of windshields in various conditions for a reasonable cost. Just thought I`d mention where I found the lexan practice material for anyone else that may be considering the same.:clap:

Post Thanks / Like
    i absolutely agree!! My neighbor has a old scrap boat and I am welcome to practice on that to start. The windshield is caked with crap and full of swirls and scratches. Figure this is a good guinea pig. I won`t be getting to it right away but in a week or so I will be ready to start and taking pictures giving TID the opportunity for constructive critiquing. Wet-sanding - by hand or tool?

I will likely be picking up my first porter cable the end of next week too. leaning towards the 7424xp?

Just not sure if I should start with 6.5" or 5.5" pad set. So much to learn but really enjoying myself!:cornut:
    Holly, we love ya and all and certainally look forward to helping anyway we can, but that link to a PAC competitor is a no no Da Rules!

I would go with the 5.5 pads. The main ones you will need will be orange and black. We really look forward to watching you grow in this field :smile:

I canvassed a few of the local airfields and had no luck. One of the people I spoke to suggested I call a local motor cycle / snowmobile salvage and low and behold they have tons of windshields in various conditions for a reasonable cost. Just thought I`d mention where I found the lexan practice material for anyone else that may be considering the same.:clap:
    Why don`t you ask if you can just rent these windshields. I mean, I am sure they will look alot better when your done then how they are now. If nothing else, see if they will buy them back when your finished :Car smiley:

Thread Information