Autopia Forums - Auto Detailing & Car Care Discussion Forum
Go Back   Autopia Forums - Auto Detailing & Car Care Discussion Forum > Autopia Car Care Guide To Detailing > Detailing Product Reviews
Detailing Product Reviews This is the place to discuss and review auto detailing products, tools & accessories.

» Car Care Brands

(#1) Old
RavingLunatic is starting to get a good reputation around here.

Which Wax/Sealant darkens the most? - 12-03-2004, 12:34 PM

I love the look of a darker silver metallic...so I wonder which wax/sealant or combo is the best at darkening the paint color. I have the impression that carnauba is usually better for this...am I right?

(#2) Old
The Rainmaker
CharlesW Can Make Rust ShineCharlesW Can Make Rust ShineCharlesW Can Make Rust ShineCharlesW Can Make Rust ShineCharlesW Can Make Rust ShineCharlesW Can Make Rust ShineCharlesW Can Make Rust ShineCharlesW Can Make Rust ShineCharlesW Can Make Rust ShineCharlesW Can Make Rust ShineCharlesW Can Make Rust Shine

Re: Which Wax/Sealant darkens the most? - 12-03-2004, 12:45 PM

Darkening the finish was never anything I really noticed until I used Meguiar's NXT Tech Wax. It seemed to darken the red on my wife's GTP some. It is the only product I have used that I actually noticed a change.
Not gonna list all the ones I have used, but trust me, it has been several.

Charles

(#3) Old
kimwallace Can Make Rust Shinekimwallace Can Make Rust Shinekimwallace Can Make Rust Shinekimwallace Can Make Rust Shinekimwallace Can Make Rust Shine

Re: Which Wax/Sealant darkens the most? - 12-03-2004, 12:54 PM

I agree with Charles,
The NXT will darken the color and give it a very wet look (especially after applying two coats) ... The downside is that it will also mute the metalic in the paint.

It's what you learn after you know it all that counts ... John Wooden

(#4) Old
it was my first time...
JaCkaL829 is very helpful and well-respected.

Re: Which Wax/Sealant darkens the most? - 12-03-2004, 01:03 PM

Clearkote Carnauba Moose Wax probably darkend paint the most out of everything else I have. I've never used NXT so I can't comment on it. CMW is pretty durable I've gotten around 3-4 months with it, and I know others have gotten good results to. It's a good compromise between a carnuaba and sealant.

(#5) Old
The Rainmaker
CharlesW Can Make Rust ShineCharlesW Can Make Rust ShineCharlesW Can Make Rust ShineCharlesW Can Make Rust ShineCharlesW Can Make Rust ShineCharlesW Can Make Rust ShineCharlesW Can Make Rust ShineCharlesW Can Make Rust ShineCharlesW Can Make Rust ShineCharlesW Can Make Rust ShineCharlesW Can Make Rust Shine

Re: Which Wax/Sealant darkens the most? - 12-03-2004, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaCkaL829
Clearkote Carnauba Moose Wax probably darkend paint the most out of everything else I have. I've never used NXT so I can't comment on it. CMW is pretty durable I've gotten around 3-4 months with it, and I know others have gotten good results to. It's a good compromise between a carnuaba and sealant.
Since durability has been brought up, I don't think I get much more than a month out of the NXT. Since I usually wax once a month, it isn't a factor to me, but it could be for some people.
(FWIW, the NXT is now used for door jambs)

Charles

(#6) Old
fireberd350 is starting to get a good reputation around here.

Re: Which Wax/Sealant darkens the most? - 12-04-2004, 02:52 PM

I agree with the NXT response, I absolutely hated the way it looked on black, it darkened it up sooo much. Similar to Charles, the NXT now been downgraded to rim duty and I let my Dad use it so he don't get into my good stuff :-p

1984 Buick GN
2002 Dakota 5.9 R/T
1987 Olds Cutlass
1987 Firebird Formula 350 (sold )
All of 'em Black

(#7) Old
Evidence Seeker
TW85 is very helpful and well-respected.

Re: Which Wax/Sealant darkens the most? - 12-04-2004, 04:27 PM

Natty's darkens silver. I had it on my car in September and while it did slightly mute the metallic, the paint had a noticeably darker look.

My avatar at left is my car with Natty's.

2004 Solara SLE V6 - Lunar Mist/Dark Stone

Your eyes expand up to 45% when looking at something pleasing.

(#8) Old
RavingLunatic is starting to get a good reputation around here.

Re: Which Wax/Sealant darkens the most? - 12-07-2004, 02:34 PM

Thanks for the replies...too bad some products will mute the metallic. I may try NXT or Natty's one day.

(#9) Old
raymond_ho2002 is starting to get a good reputation around here.

Re: Which Wax/Sealant darkens the most? - 12-08-2004, 03:33 PM

I've noticed very distinct darkening when I used NXT, but it was uneven and patchy (1993 black honda accord). It was more like smeared oil, which didn't buff off. I get the same smears when I use #9 SMR, too. I gave away my bottle without ever resolving that issue.

(#10) Old
NEW AGAIN is relatively new and is doing just fine.

Re: Which Wax/Sealant darkens the most? - 12-08-2004, 04:18 PM

Gold Glass darken a car finish very well and most Meguairs sealants and waxes, But for your color vehicle I would go with this combo to ENHANCE a metallic flake EX-P/NATTY PASTE by Poorboys.

(#11) Old
GOT PREP?
EBPcivicsi is starting to get a good reputation around here.

Re: Which Wax/Sealant darkens the most? - 12-08-2004, 04:39 PM

A couple of thoughts here. If I had your car and paint I would prep it to perfection then use UPP x3 as my LSP.

Having said that, I find that almost ALL of Meguiars LSP's darken the paint some, #16 would be an exception. #26 is almost as dark as NXT, but with better durability(for me). That maybe something to look into.

Good luck!

The entire process should be done gently. Just imagine you were washing and drying eye candy.

CharlesW