Post Thanks / Like

GTechniq C4 Permanent Trim Restorer REVIEW

GTechniq C4 Permanent Trim Restorer

Restore your trim`s natural good looks!

• 3S nano composite coating for plastic trim
    • Restores trim to “as new” condition
    • Lasts for up to two years

What is it?
    Gtechniq C4 Permanent Trim Restorer is a semi-permanent coating that chemically bonds to your vehicle`s trim! This unique trim treatment is so unique that it might be easier to discuss what Gtechniq C4 permanent Trim Restorer isn`t. It is not an oil that darkens the trim and makes it shiny for a couple of weeks. It is not a streak-prone, greasy looking dye that fades as soon as quickly as it is exposed to sunlight.

What does it do?
    Gtechniq restores your faded trim to a “like new” appearance by forming an ultra thin (30 nano-meters thick) protective coating. This thin coating forms a covalent bond with your trim to actually become an extension of the plastic molecule it is protecting. It is this ultra thin coating that restores the “like new” levels of darkness with out creating a greasy sheen. You can expect Gtechniq C4 Permanent Trim Restorer to last approximately 2 years from a single application.

What benefits does it offer?
    Gtechniq C4 Permanent Trim Restorer has strong UV absorption filters which protect the trim under the protective coating from sun fade. This makes Gtechniq C4 Permanent Trim Restorer the ideal solution to stop fading and oxidation before it starts. Use Gtechniq C4 Permanent Trim Restorer on all but the most faded trim pieces such as plastic grills, wiper cowls, bumper trim, door handles, and rear view mirrors to restore their original appearance or keep them looking like new!

Application and Photos

My 2006 Tahoe`s trim had seen better days and was showing some sun fade. Given the year of the truck, it was in really good shape, but it made a perfect test bed for one of the best trim products on the market - GTechniq C4 Permanent Trim Restorer.

GTechniq Permanent Trim Restorer is like a nano-glass cermanic coating for your paint, but designed to be applied to porous and hard plastic, vinyl and trim. The first step is too make sure the trim is free of any old dressing, silicone, wax or oil. I started cleaning with GTechniq`s Panel Wipe and a Vinyl & Leather Scrub Brush.

Because Panel Wipe is a fast-acting solvent, I used a damp microfiber towel to lightly wipe the surface before spraying the trim. Then lightly scrubbed the panel and wiped dry with a second microfiber towel.

The running board after being cleaned.

Next I ran a tape line on the running board for a more dramatic before/after shot. GTechniq C4 comes with make-up like applicators to apply the product with. Very little goes a long way as C4 is fairly thin and runny.

Allow a few drops to dampen the appicator then spread into a thin coat using overlapping passes. Take your time and work around the trim, making sure to cover the entire surface area. Add more product as needed and spread until the piece is completely covered.

After applying, come back immediately with a dry, lint-free microfiber towel and lightly buff off any excess. If you see any thin or missed spots, now is the time to add a little more product, then buff smooth.

Here is the 50/50 split shot, showing the difference the coating has created.

The difference is/was dramatic. The Tahoe immediately looked years fresher.

I applied C4, using the same techniques as above to both the passenger side and the rear bumper trim. GTechniq C4 Permanent Trim Restorer applies even easier when installed on shaded, cool-to-the-touch trim.

The dark, satin shine is dry to the touch and looks fresh. It really does look great. I will post updates and see how long it lasts. My experience so far, particularly with other GTech products like Clear Vision Smart Glass, is that they exceed quoted protection times.

Thanks for reading, updates to follow.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: GTechniq C4 Permanent Trim Restorer REVIEW

Spot saved for durability updates.

Post Thanks / Like

I`m torn between this and CarPro D-Lux. Thanks for the review Todd.

Post Thanks / Like

subd for durability as well Todd thanks
    www.facebook.com/Ultimatecardetailingoc Please Like my FB if you like my work

Post Thanks / Like

Is Panel Wipe similar to IPA?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Helme View Post
    Spot saved for durability updates.
    Very nice Todd! Looks beautiful.
    Please keep us updated.
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dc52nv View Post
    I`m torn between this and CarPro D-Lux. Thanks for the review Todd.
    Looks like with either, you cannot go wrong.

I`m concluding on one hand, that with either product, the preparation of such parts on a vehicle are even more important, and critical, than the application of said products themselves.

Like the "3 Bears", not too much prior prepping, or too little. That one needs to be "just right" to achieve optimal final results.

Perhaps such as the GTechniq Panel Wipe would be a wise choice, as it will probably gently cleanse, and prepare such parts, without imparting any damages, versus other prep methods, and products.

I think this is an important key to success, and proper bonding.
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like

Excellent review Todd. I have bottle of 30ml sitting waiting to be tried. Todd do think it will bond with opti-coat well.

GTechniq North America Kevin@GTNA's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Great review as always Todd. Thank you for the support!

Quote Originally Posted by DKumarm3 View Post
    Excellent review Todd. I have bottle of 30ml sitting waiting to be tried. Todd do think it will bond with opti-coat well.
    It would probably be best to apply C4 to untreated plastic. I am not sure if it will bond with Opti as well as it would with just untreated plastic. It may lay down on top of the Opti, but it will not last as long.

Post Thanks / Like

Great review Todd, peaks my interest a little

Post Thanks / Like

Just as I`m searching for something long lasting to put on my trim this review gets posted and looks really nice!

Post Thanks / Like

Great review Todd. I subscribed as well for reports on C4`s durability. I didn`t have the best of luck with it but then again I probably needed to prep the surface more.
    Only Z Best Detailing-Automotive Concours Detailing Services
    http://ozbdetailing.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ozbautodetailing

Post Thanks / Like

I`m intrigued. If the Swami likes it...I know I`ll love it. Thanks Todd.

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome! Looking forward to the updates!

Post Thanks / Like

Perhaps the biggest obstacle to overcome, when using such products is Silicone.

Yep, that nasty Armor you know what, and Son of a gun folks, it ain`t coming off.

I personally know one of the finest opticians, and telescope makers in the world, Roland Christen of Astro-Physics in Rockford, Ill. (you`ll go on about a 6-7 year waiting list to get one of his Telescopes, and trust that you`ll never lose a dime buying one) They all appreciate in value bar none.

Yes, I own one of Roland`s masterpieces, and won`t be parting with it anytime soon!

Roland once commented about silicones, and getting them on such things like Glass Optics.
    That they are impossible to remove, and the only way he`s found to remove them, is by grinding them off.

Imagine that, a surface (Glass, and such as even harder Mag Flouride Coatings) that one would think is highly non-porous, and silicone comes along (yes, something like Armor All) will not come off no matter what cleaner, or solvent used. And that includes solvents such as Denatured Alcohol, and Acetone.
    Mark

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information