Post Thanks / Like

Black Pearl Trim & Tire Amour Review

I was offered a sample of Black Pearl Trim & Tire Armour to try and thought I would share my opinion of it. This was not in trade for a review. I was simply asked if I would like to try it and report back.

Product Claims:
    Black Pearl Trim And Tire Armour

The 4 oz. bottle will coat 1 - 2 sets of average-sized car tires (or 1 set of SUV Tires) – two applications.
    Black Pearl tire Shine is a polymer-based `permanent` tire shine composition. It is a clear-coat. It is best applied with a 2-inch high density foam roller. It forms a flexible, durable, dry-film that is not tacky. One or two coats are recommended. Two coats produces a blacker and shinier finish. It can be applied year-round (down to 50 F), and is not affected by rain, snow, road salt, will not evaporate on hot, sunny days, and dust (including brake dust) and particulate (under dry-driving conditions) will not adhere to the surface.

The finish is blacker and shinier than conventional silicone oil-based products. Films are also not damaged by pressure washers or the car wash. The finish lasts for several months under normal (i.e., city/highway) driving conditions. A fresh coat may be applied directly over older films that are clean and dry. No additional surface preparation is required. The product is non-toxic, non-flammable (i.e., water-based), and non-hazardous.

Application time on average sized car tires is approximately ten to fifteen minutes per 4 tires - one coat. It dries in 20 - 40 minutes, depending on temperature and humidity.

Omni Clean
    Omni Clean is the manufacturer supplied cleaner and comes in a 32oz spray bottle; it is a commercial sodium hydroxide/sodium metasilicate-based cleaner/degreaser. Recommended products include: Purple Power, Super Clean, and Westley’s Bleche- Wite.

Details:

Black Pearl Trim And Tire Amour
    1.- Packaging : Plastic 4oz & 16oz bottles, 4oz has flip top cap
    2.- Directions: Clearly labeled and included printed instructions
    3.- Viscosity: About the same as popular tire gels
    4.- Color: White, dries clear
    5.- Scent: Almost non existent
    6.- Price at time of review: 24.99 4oz, 74.66 16oz
    7.- Manufacturer: Providential Coatings LLC, Made in the USA
    8.- Roller and tray included

Omni Clean
    1.- Packaging: Plastic bottle with trigger sprayer
    2.-
    Directions: Clearly labeled and included printed instructions

3.- Viscosity: About the same as water
    4.- Color: Clear
    5.- Scent: Strong chemical APC

6.- Price at time of review: 32oz = $ 9.99
    7.- Manufacturer:
    : Providential Coatings LLC, Made in the USA

Other Products Used:

5 gallon bucket
    Stiff nylon scrub brush
    Garden Hose twist sprayer

Preparation: Taken From Printed Instructions

· Tire surfaces should be clean, dry, and free of silicone oil (e.g., from other tire shine products, and mold release agents on new tires), road grime, and brake dust before applying this product to ensure proper adhesion and a desirable finish.
    · Clean tires first with OmniClean or a similar commercial sodium hydroxide/sodium metasilicate-based cleaner/degreaser. Recommended products include: Purple Power, Super Clean, and Westley’s Bleche Wite (shown on the second website video).
    · NOTE: Please review the safety precautions on the bottle before using these recommended cleaning products.
    · Spray the cleaner/degreaser on liberally and scrub vigorously with a soft-bristled brush capable of getting in and around the tread line, and all of the raised lettering/numbering, etc.(e.g., a stiff nylon scrub brush – auto parts stores sell brushes designed specifically for scrubbing tires).
    · A dark brown discharge indicates that silicone oil, road grime, and/or brake dust IS present, and must be removed.
    · Allow the cleaning product to sit on the tires for a few minutes, and then rinse thoroughly with water with scrubbing.
    · Note: Be sure to rotate the tires during cleaning to ensure that the entire tire surfaces (i.e., including the portions initially facing the ground) are thoroughly cleaned.
    · Tire surfaces are properly cleaned and ready for application when the ENTIRE tire surfaces wet evenly, and are darker when wet (if in doubt, allow tires to dry, and then re-wet).
    · If the rinse water beads, and the tire surface does not darken when wetted, on any part of the tire surfaces, the cleaning/scrubbing/rinsing process MUST be repeated (See website ‘How To’ videos).
    · Allow tires to dry completely before starting.

· NOTE: Failure to completely remove the oily residue from previous tire shine products, or mold release agents, will prevent Black Pearl Trim and Tire Armour (because it is water-based) from properly adhering to tire surfaces, which will cause the cured films to start flaking off once the vehicle is driven.
    RECOMMENDATION: A very effective way to determine if the tires have been properly cleaned is to prepare a small Black Pearl Trim and Tire Armour test spot on one front tire first (one coat), allow to dry, and then drive the vehicle a few miles. Inspect the test spot. If the film is cracking, flaking, or is totally removed, the tires ARE NOT properly cleaned.

Application: Black Pearl Trim And Tire Armour
    ·Apply with the included high density foam roller.
    ·If what look like small ‘craters’ (referred to as ‘fish eye’) start forming on the film while applying product, there are residual tire shine products, or mold release agents, or surfactants, on the tires, which should be removed. Quickly rinse product off before it starts to dry, and refer to the ‘Tire Surface Preparation’ section.
    ·If a blacker and shinier finish is desired, apply a second coat. Wait for the first coat to dry completely before applying the second coat.
    ·If two coats are to be applied on the same day, for added convenience, the un-washed roller and tray may be stored in the refrigerator between coats for up to approximately two hours.

·If this product gets on the wheel, or the body of the car, quickly wipe off with a damp paper towel, sponge, or cloth. It will not harm these types of surfaces.
    ·Allow coatings to dry completely before using the vehicle. Dry time is approximately 30 minutes (i.e., milky appearance has totally disappeared), depending on temperature and humidity.
    ·Do not expose a fresh coat to rain or sustained wetting, otherwise the film may temporarily revert to the milky appearance.
    ·Driving with fresh coatings under dry conditions and/or exposing them to direct sunlight, after they have completely dried, will accelerate the final cure process.
    ·If the coatings get damaged (e.g. scuffed on a curb), clean the damaged portions with a damp nylon dishwashing scrub pad. Use the abrasive side to remove any loose flakes of coating that are still sticking to the tire surface. Once the surface is clean and dry, apply a fresh coat of product to the damaged portion.
    ·Clean fully cured coatings with OmniClean or a similar commercial sodium hydroxide/sodium metasilicate-based cleaner/degreaser, and a sponge or soft cloth, and rinse thoroughly with a pressure washer or garden hose.
    ·A fresh coat may be applied directly over an existing film that is clean and dry. No additional surface preparation is required.

CAUTION

·On warm days, do not apply under direct sunlight. Also, do not apply when tire surfaces are warm. Also, do not apply under breezy/windy conditions. These conditions will accelerate the dry-time, which may result in a more textured final film and/or the formation of white spots (due to incomplete bubble dissipation) on the film. An accelerated dry time may also have an adverse effect on adhesion and longevity.
    ·Applying in an enclosed area, such as a garage, is recommended. For added convenience, consider applying in the early evening and allowing to cure overnight.
    ·Do not apply at temperatures below 50 degrees Fahrenheit or a proper film may not form. If in doubt, prepare a small test spot first, on one tire, to ensure best results.

Cleaning of paint tray and roller:

·The applicator and tray may be cleaned with water, or a mild detergent solution, followed by a water-rinse. Clean these items before the product dries.
    ·The foam roller should be soaked in a container of water for a few hours. Otherwise, residual product still trapped in the foam will cause the foam to become more firm.

As you can see preparation and application are pretty straight forward and easy. Just like doing a sealant or coating on paint, surface preparation is key to good result, BPT&TA is no different. A few extra minutes spent prepping will pay dividends in performance of the product.

The Kit as it comes.

4oz bottle

Omni Clean

Roller & Tray, simple push on roller head, much like a paint roller.

Consistency of the BPT&TA,
    This is 15 drops. I ended up starting off with 45 drops to load the roller and ended up using another 45 to coat all 4 tires with one coat. Directions state the 4 oz. bottle will coat 1 - 2 sets of average-sized car tires (or 1 set of SUV Tires) – two applications. I used nowhere near that amount. I also took my time and really worked the product into the tire. I would estimate on my application I could easily double that. Even at my less than recommended application amount the tires have a very nice matte/satin finish which is the shine level I prefer.

Initial Cleaning Omni Clean making quick work of the gunk coming off the tires. These tires also have had no dressing applied to them in quite a long time. The Omni Clean is a very good cleaner. I have not tried it diluted this neat. The way it cleaned I would expect it to still be quite a strong cleaner diluted.

Second Cleaning. White foam indicates the tires are clean. Water lays flat on the tire with no beading.

Immediately after application of Black Pearl, still wet.

After 20 minute dry time.

I consider this to be a satin finish. The tires were dry to the touch and had no greasy feel to them.

Conclusion:
    Does the product meet its claims? Time wil tell on durability in the looks column I say yes. Durability will be tested over the next month. The vehicle it was applied to gets washed almost daily so in the next month it will probably be washed 20-25 times. About the amount a normal person washes their car in a year, maybe a little less.

Pros:

Omni Clean
    1.- Excellent cleaning ability
    2.- Very fast, too

3.- For the amount used (very little) price isn’t bad.

Cons:

1.- Pretty strong smell need good ventilation

Black Pearl.

Pros:
    1.- Easy Application
    2.- Needed products supplied with order
    3.- 6-8 month durability (claimed)

Cons:

None really, a little pricy upfront, but when considering the time and money savings of not having to dress your tires or trim for months instead of after almost every wash or rain storm, its very well worth it to me.

Final Observations and Summary:

Great product, good looks, easy application

Comments and questions are encouraged. Thanks for viewing!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Black Pearl Trim & Tire Amour Review

Hmm... Very interesting.

Honestly this looks and seems very similar to Tuff Shine. Have you had a chance to use Tuff Shine as I am interested in how these compare. Also I think the Tuff Shine applicator might be an even better option as it is is a very dense foam like your roller, but might give you more control.

Post Thanks / Like

Troy, yes it is very similar from what I have read about Tuff Shine. I personally have never used it so I can`t comment. Todd had also said he wondered how the two compared in the other BP review. I would not be apposed to doing a comparison but because of the cost factor I have no intentions of buying TS.

Post Thanks / Like

Excellent review. Looks like a winner.

Post Thanks / Like

Good review. I`m interested in the durability

Post Thanks / Like

Here’s an update on the durability of Black Pearl Trim and Tire Amour. The application was done on March 17th so we are at one month in. Anyone familiar with the weather in northern Illinois over the last month knows it hasn’t been very good. In that time the SUV has been driven in a couple of snows and countless days of rain. I share this SUV with 2 other co-workers and I have personally cleaned the tires with an APC 3 times and a degreaser once. The SUV is washed almost daily so it’s safe to say it has been washed probably 25 times over the last month whether it really needed it or not it’s just the rules. So probably close to what the normal person would wash their car in a 5-6 month time actually probably more but I’m going with a once a week wash. Personally I feel based on this BP lives up to its claim of 6-8 months durability the tires have lost some of the shine from initial application but are still very black and really doesn’t seem the fading off in that area.

Water is still beading nicely. BP is defiantly still there.

Tires are still nice and black after drying.

Post Thanks / Like

Great follow up review. ...on the cars I tested too...All are holding up well....

yourrock
    Quote Originally Posted by rzatch View Post
    Here’s an update on the durability of Black Pearl Trim and Tire Amour. The application was done on March 17th so we are at one month in. Anyone familiar with the weather in northern Illinois over the last month knows it hasn’t been very good. In that time the SUV has been driven in a couple of snows and countless days of rain. I share this SUV with 2 other co-workers and I have personally cleaned the tires with an APC 3 times and a degreaser once. The SUV is washed almost daily so it’s safe to say it has been washed probably 25 times over the last month whether it really needed it or not it’s just the rules. So probably close to what the normal person would wash their car in a 5-6 month time actually probably more but I’m going with a once a week wash. Personally I feel based on this BP lives up to its claim of 6-8 months durability the tires have lost some of the shine from initial application but are still very black and really doesn’t seem the fading off in that area.

Water is still beading nicely. BP is defiantly still there.

Tires are still nice and black after drying.

Post Thanks / Like

Where can I buy this.....? Or perhaps get a sample to try?
    I have had my frustration with tuf shine and ready to move on lol

Post Thanks / Like

Contact Robert here. They are in the process of making a site for BP.

Plasticoat Tire Shine -

Post Thanks / Like

So is it called Plasticoat or blackpearl....?

Post Thanks / Like

Nice update, it appears to be holding up well.

Post Thanks / Like

It is Black Pearl. That is the contact info to buy it direct. Their web site is now up and running.
    http://www.blackpearltireshine.com/

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info. But I think I am gonna hold it out for a little.
    The kit with cleaner and shipping is about $50.... I will wait a while to see more reviews.
    Looks very promising so far

Post Thanks / Like

Update. The BP as finally worn off. Considering its on a SUV that is washed almost daily I would say it lasted a very long time and met all manufacturers claims.

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like a great product! I will have to try it. Nice review!

Thread Information