Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Review: 1Z Plastic Deep Cleaner

There have been many different theories about the best way to clean finished leather. For many years, I was in the boat that specific leather cleaners needed to be used, regardless of if the leather is aniline, semi-aniline, or coated. Little by little, I came around that only the top portion, the coating, is being cleaner and that traditional aniline leather products were probably not doing a whole lot of good. They were still working, but their added cost and limited benefit made them soon obsolete.

1Z Einszett Plastic Vinyl Deep Cleaner Plastik Reiniger

This product has been a mainstay for many professional detailers for treated (coated) leather throughout the threads on the subject. There are, however, a few that feel that 1Z Deep Plastic is too harsh for leather. Due to that reason, I have never used it. The time has come, however, that I needed to really clean my leather from my 2000 Range Rover. I also thought this would be a good test when I clean and apply CarPro CQuartz Fabric & Leather onto my Mom’s BMW seats.

So, what is 1Z Deep Plastic? Here you go, straight from the source (1Z-USA):

“A concentrated deep cleaning detergent that removes stubborn grime, grease, scuff marks, stains, soot and polish residue without harsh or abrasive cleaners.

Use on the dashboard, steering wheel, shift knob, arm rests, finished leather and pedals. Leaves a clean, no-shine finish.”

Here is the link, where you can find the Autogeek description and purchasing information: 1Z Einszett Plastic Vinyl Deep Cleaner Plastik Reiniger

THE TEST

All the seats were first cleaned with Optimum Power Clean, diluted 1:10 and 1:3. The 1:10 dilution was used for high traffic areas while 1:3 was used in stubborn spots. All leather was agitated with a leather brush, with feathered nylon bristles. This was about a week ago. I started thinking, could this be any cleaner?

Now, the first test… Will the 1Z remove more dirt that the Optimum Power Clean could not?

Due to this being the first time I had used this product on a new surface, I wanted to do a test in an inconspicuous spot. I chose the side of the passenger seat to see if the 1Z Deep Plastic could remove more grime that the Optimum Power Clean left behind.

With the tape line removed, even resized, you can clearly see that the left side of the picture (the side where the 1Z was applied, is clearly cleaner. Keep in mind, this was with no agitation. Just spray on – let dwell for about ten seconds – wipe off with a interior microfiber towel.

Here is the side of the seat, now completely clean thanks to 1Z Deep Plastic Cleaner:

Now that the testing was done, it was time to move on to the rest of the seats. For the rest of the cleaning, now that I know the 1Z Deep Plastic was going to be safe, I brought out the Mother’s detailing brush for any agitation that would be needed.

Here is the back of the passenger seat, all clean!

And here is passenger seat…

Clean rear passenger seat. Spray on – agitate – wipe off. That was the process used.

Right passenger seat being covered with product. An ample amount was used. Not too much, but enough to feel like the job was being done. As many of you know 1Z makes a fantastic spray bottle. The spray is even, and fairly wide.

THE DAMAGE

I came across a section on the back of the rear passenger seat, where there was quite a bit of dirt scuffed into the leather. I thought this would be a perfect test to see if 1Z Deep Plastic could take it out without the Optimum Power Clean pre-treatment (I did not treat the back of the rear seats with the OPC due to time constraints back a couple weeks ago.)

The victim:

The physician, applying its medicine:

The prognosis:

Well, I don’t know about you but I’d say the prognosis is GREAT. For the purpose of the test, I did not agitate the cleaner, but rather let it dwell for about twenty seconds before wiping off with an interior microfiber towel. Despite the lack of agitation, the 1Z took the dirt right out and restored the leather to its natural look.

THE WILDCARD

Now, time to play devil’s advocate. Some may say, “You didn’t use the Optimum Power Clean at a high enough dilution for it to be effective against the kind of dirt that you encountered.”

Ah, yes. I thought someone may say that…

Behold, the ultimate test:

1Z Deep Plastic Cleaner (undiluted) vs. Optimum Power Clean (undiluted)

Now, is Optimum Power Clean safe undiluted on treated leather? Optimum says yes, though they say it can be diluted 1:3 or higher depending on the level of soil. I have read most professional detailers that do not use OPC undiluted on finished leather. This leather, as you can tell, needs some serious repair, which I plan on making (I will tell you my course of action at the bottom and please comment if you have a company in mind or plan of action that you feel would be superior to mine.)

1Z on top – Optimum on the bottom:

The cleaned seat:

The 1Z side:

The Optimum side:

Honestly, I could not tell much of a difference so I opted to carry the test over to the seat back.

1Z Deep Plastic applied and being agitated:

1Z wiped clean:

Optimum Power Clean applied and agitated:

THE SEAT BACK RESULTS

To me, there is a clear tapeline, which means that both products improved the leather. That being said, if you look at the seat back results, there is only one clear winner:

AND THE WINNER IS…

1Z Einszett Plastic Vinyl Deep Cleaner Plastik Reiniger

The 1Z did a better job than the Optimum Power Clean (undiluted) at removing whatever grime was in the leather over years of use. The lower side is cleaner, so 1Z wins. Optimum Power Clean does, however, give you the option to dilute to your need, which makes it the more versatile all-purpose cleaner, but that being said with a product like 1Z Deep Plastic Cleaner, what more could you need!

MY LEATHER PLANS:

What I am trying to do is repair my leather without using a professional. I am thinking about using Leather World Technologies, who happen to make Leather Masters – the outstanding car leather care products. I have seen kits advertised online and on TV for these exact problems that I am having (as you can see in the pictures, plus a tear). If anyone has done this before, including using fillers and dyes, please comment or PM with any advice.

PROTECTING THE LEATHER:

My plan was to protect the leather with CarPro CQuartz Fabric and Leather, but the sprayer I got was busted, which caused the product to be wasted all over my gloves with every spray. I ended up removing the sprayer and just blobbing an applicator and applying that way, but it was very wasteful and completely frustrating. I used about half the bottle when most people use about two sprays per leather seat. A complete waste of money... No pictures were taken because my gloves were all covered in the coating, and the leather really didn’t change in appearance. I doubt the camera could pick anything up if my eyes couldn’t. There was a slight sheen but as it dried over the course of a few minutes it disappeared. When I do my mom’s black leather I will document it since it will show up better.

I welcome any questions, comments, criticism, and/or advice. Happy detailing!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Review: 1Z Plastic Deep Cleaner

Well written and thorough review. I enjoyed reading every word and seeing all the great pics. 1Z seems to have a winner here. I`m curious how well it stacks up to Ultima Interior Shampoo.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice review!

Al
    The Need to Bead

Post Thanks / Like

Really nice comparison between OPC & 1Z Deep Plastic Cleaner. Thanks for sharing.

Post Thanks / Like

Great review!

Post Thanks / Like

Fantastic review.
    Only Z Best Detailing-Automotive Concours Detailing Services
    http://ozbdetailing.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ozbautodetailing

Post Thanks / Like

Very good review. I started using the 1Z Plastic Deep cleaner to remove blue jean dye transfer to very light colored seats. I was at first skeptical but not having much success with other products. The blue discoloration wiped off easily and have been sold on it since.

Post Thanks / Like

I`ve used 1Z Plastic Deep Cleaner with an upholstery brush on my PC 7424XP with great results!

Post Thanks / Like

I like your review!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dc52nv View Post
    Well written and thorough review. I enjoyed reading every word and seeing all the great pics. 1Z seems to have a winner here. I`m curious how well it stacks up to Ultima Interior Shampoo.
    Thank you! I honestly had the same thought right after I received my order from ACC (during that last 20% off sale a couple weeks back). I didn`t even think of it and I wish I would have! I think the Ultima Interior Shampoo is much more gentle. I think I would use that before the 1Z Deep product... but who knows... maybe another side by side is in order? Hint, hint anyone... (Todd!!!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bunky View Post
    Nice review!
    Quote Originally Posted by Wors View Post
    Really nice comparison between OPC & 1Z Deep Plastic Cleaner. Thanks for sharing.
    Quote Originally Posted by mjlinane View Post
    Great review!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pats300zx View Post
    Fantastic review.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigltc View Post
    I like your review!
    Quote Originally Posted by erobertson View Post
    Very good review.  I started using the 1Z Plastic Deep cleaner to remove blue jean dye transfer to very light colored seats.  I was at first skeptical but not having much success with other products.  The blue discoloration wiped off easily and have been sold on it since.
    Thank you all very much! I try to give back since this forum and its members reviews have saved me countless dollars with their excellent reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by SGM2008 View Post
    I`ve used 1Z Plastic Deep Cleaner with an upholstery brush on my PC 7424XP with great results!
    I`ve been meaning to get an upholstery brush for my PC. I can only imagine the amazing cleaning power with 1Z Plastic Deep and a machine enabled brush!

Post Thanks / Like

I use that 1Z Cleaner and I love it. Great review and Im glad I use it. It smells nice also,

Post Thanks / Like

Excellent review!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Nice review. I use the 1Z stuff a lot and it`s excellent. It removes dressings from plastics where APCs fail. I have done some leather re-coloring on a small area. The issue I had was getting the product to match in color and sheen. You need both those things to match for a perfect repair.

A lot of leather repair companies claim they can match the color, but the sheen (matte / gloss) may be off. Getting it to match takes a lot of experience with adding matting / glossing agents the final clear coat over the leather IME.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Reflectiveauto View Post
    I use that 1Z Cleaner and I love it. Great review and Im glad I use it. It smells nice also,
    Thank you very much. I do like how, given its strong cleaning power, it doesn`t have an overpowering scent (forgive the pun). It`s one of those products that I always like to have on hand!
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd Helme View Post
    Excellent review!!!!
    Thanks Todd!! We all just try to live up to your standards.

Quote Originally Posted by Swanicyouth View Post
    Nice review. I use the 1Z stuff a lot and it`s excellent. It removes dressings from plastics where APCs fail. I have done some leather re-coloring on a small area. The issue I had was getting the product to match in color and sheen. You need both those things to match for a perfect repair.

A lot of leather repair companies claim they can match the color, but the sheen (matte / gloss) may be off. Getting it to match takes a lot of experience with adding matting / glossing agents the final clear coat over the leather IME.
    Thanks for the advice! To tell you the truth, it became a bigger deal than I wanted to deal with. If I want to get it repaired, I`ll just take it to a professional. If I could find some extra leather under the seat that I could have cut off and sent away to Leather World Tech (makers of Leather Masters) then maybe I would have done it, more so as a fun project and to see if I could do it. You know, that kind of thing, but there was no excess and I didn`t want to cut into the leather, especially since I was having reservations about doing it.

The people were very nice and accommodating (given the fact they didn`t have anything in their system or catalogue for a 2000 Range Rover) but at the end of the day, it would have been a lot of time, effort, and not a little amount of money to do the project. I rather buy some more 1Z products, new wheel cleaners, or anything over some leather filler.

Now... If Todd had an in depth how-to article on how to fix leather scrapes, tears, and wear it may have been a different story...

Post Thanks / Like

Excellent review. I`m glad I came across this! I`ll have to put the 1Z on my wish list. Without this review I likely would not have thought of getting it. The name sames "Plastic" cleaner but you used it on the leather seats. Granted you said coated leather I think. I`m not sure if my seats have a plastic coating or not. Probably so. But if now, would this damage the leather? Even so, this product sounds good for cleaning the door panels and console.

2015 Nissan Pathfinder, Platinum
    2012 Fiat 500 Sport
    2010 Mazda CX-7 iSport
    2000 Nissan Frontier XE

"Life`ll Kill Ya" - Warren Zevon

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information